Ever sell a Ferrari via co-signment? | FerrariChat

Ever sell a Ferrari via co-signment?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jimwalking, Feb 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimwalking

jimwalking Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2006
    I am considering selling my Ferrari and do not wish to deal with the eBay hassles or endless slew of tire kickers, joy riders.

Any idea on how a co-signment deal works?

2. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    It's consignment...you don't want to get into co-signing your title. The selling dealer will generally get 7 to 10% of the sales price.

Gary

3. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I don't know how consignment works per-say; however I would say it is a good idea if you aren't a motivated seller and have time to wait for the right buyer. I'm sure the dealer would rather sell one of their cars instead of yours. Essentially, it really depends on what's more important-- moving the car or getting top dollar?

Joe

4. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    I've consigned through Ferrari of Washington and been veryhappy with the results. Good luck.

5. jimwalking

jimwalking Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2006
    I was thinking a car dealer has access to financing options for customers and a private sale means the buyer has to have cash.

6. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    I know some will do it for less. Peter Sweeney at Forza for instance....
    http://www.forza.weblobby.com/

7. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Without question you MUST have a written agreement outlining all terms as well as the least you will accept for the sale. Again, that's what you will accept for the sale.

If you know the bottom line sales price to you ahead of time, there acn be no surprises.

You need to be realistic, however.

If you are timid about selling your car, ask around in your area for sales agents (consigment parties), but make sure also they are familiar with selling high end cars.

So I guess if you sell your car you will be 'walking"!

8. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    In this type of deal the dealer isn't entitled to let you know for how much money they sold the car and that part I don't like.

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Who cares how much they got?

If you got what you wanted so be it.

10. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay

I do care, is easy to get scam by a dealership and to lose cash.

11. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    The selling agent will still get the slew of tire kickers and joy riders. Be sure you know what the insurance situation is. If a prospective buyer on a test drive messes up, with a consignment salesman along, whose insurance is on the hook? Would your's cover that?

I bought my Ferrari from a consignment house near one of the Boston colleges -- they were very leery of window shoppers. The salesman only took me seriously after I named a counter offer that had him sweating blood. The manager only took me seriously after (having seen the car's service history) I gave him a demonstration of testing the suspension alignment using a calibrated butt in the driver's seat.

Or maybe they were just amused by the way I tried to open the 328's door using that little tab at the back of the window. ;)

So maybe I went out on a tangent, or maybe it was just a sine of the times. :D

12. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    FOA and I have sold 3 of my cars and I have been very happy. On one sale a previous buyer come back and bought and they gave a deep discount but handled the deal and I got the sales tax break. On a new purchase the full price you sold for goes against the price on the new car and tax on the difference.

13. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I opened the door of my 348 for two months using that little tab. It was only after seeing the mechanic at Tim Stanford's use the bottom pull that I understood the correct way to open the door.
    And there are some consigment deals available where the fee is fixed (at around $2k).
    :)
    BT

14. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I would say over 3/4 of modern Ferrari's end up being consigned. Generally it's a good idea, first time buyers don't understand the maintenance behind Ferrari's and a couple months after the sale you have a guy in your driveway with your Ferrari claiming you sold him a broken car and he wants his money back. I've seen this happen too many times with selling cars such as Honda's, Toyota's, etc that I wouldn't even want to deal with it on a Ferrari.

Second reason being there will be ALOT of tire kickers. Some of them have the money but won't buy until they get the deal of a lifetime. If I want to buy a Ferrari or Maserati to enjoy and that's it, I will go to a dealer, pay a premium, get a good car, and that's it. If I want the deal of a lifetime I look for private sellers and I ALLWAYS lowball them on the car because unlike dealers some of them are extremely desperate to sell.

Your car is also much easier to sell as you don't spend any money on advertising. The dealer will put your car in magazines/showroom/ebay/etc.