Mondial Carbon Fiber boot lid | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mondial Carbon Fiber boot lid

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by racespecferrari, Feb 17, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Thanks for your input, I hadn't seen the latches as a problem as I was intending to use racing bonnet pins, as my car is basically going to be a trackday/race car

2. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    How about bonding in the exisiting alloy substructure, which IIR also includes the mounts for the latch and hinge hardware?

3. Paul348

Paul348 Rookie

Jun 21, 2005
    upstate New York
    Full Name:
    Paul Spurgas
    That will work. Just be sure when you purchase your resin you get a compatable adhesive. Just any epoxy won't do. I mainly use vinyl ester resin as it has the strength of epoxy but is more durable. The adhesive I use requires a special dispenser and cost is about $50 for enough to bond a hood.
    Unless you've had some experience doing small parts, a hood is a major job. Laying out that much carbon without distorting the weave is difficult and mistakes are costly. There is currently a carbon fiber shortage and prices are up tp $40/yard. Checkout my carbon fiber tutorial at synapsemotorsport.com to see some basics. If you have any questions just post.
    Paul

4. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

Thanks Paul, i'll check out your site

5. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau

6. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Don't forget to lighten the SPRUNG weight. Dump the Koni for lighter and dual adjustable (and height) shocks. Beef up the springs to higher lbs. Also consider dumping the stock brakes for lighter alu hat floating (slotted rotors) and use Goodridge or the like braided brake hose. Use proper brake fluid (SFR, Motul, etc).

7. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Would agree with steve - the stock springs and shocks are very large and heavy. When I went to Koni coil overs we went to the MUCH lighter and adjustable Eibach springs.
    It adds up.
    I am still a bit skeptical about the radiator deal based on the other thread, although Nick's claim of 30# weight loss is remarkable.

8. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

Thanks for your input steve, I was intending to do it all in stages, lightening first, engine next, brakes & suspension last

9. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

The radiator has had some rave reviews, I wouldn't be doing that yet as I have other areas to sort out first, to be honest most of the parts coming off are worth more than the lightweight parts going on, so I'm going down that road first