New Camaro Concept...Opinions? | FerrariChat

New Camaro Concept...Opinions?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by FerrariFrank1, Feb 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #1 FerrariFrank1, Feb 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    O.K. Folks. Here are some pix of the New Concept Camaro that GM/Chevy had at the Auto Show. I have been "Chatting" with a gent. from the GM design studios in Michigan ,here on FChat, about this Car. Although I do think that it is a nice looking car as it is. In my opinion, it does not accomplish the same idea that Ford did with the new Mustang. Or that Dodge is doing with the new Challenger. And I believe that that is what Chevy was trying to accomplish.

If that is the case, again, IMO. There are a few "points" (literally...:) ) on the car that I don't think look right. The Nose is a little bit Too pointy. The front Grill is Too narrow. (IMO, the front end resembles a Cadillac XLR more than a '69 Camaro) The Wheels are hideously way too big. The backs of the Rear Quarter panels are too thick. The Rocker Panels are too big-wide-thick-whatever you want to call it. The taillights are totally wrong. And the Rear end, again, too pointy. And that 6.0/383 Cu.In. "Performance Engine" will shut down 4 Cylinders when it's on the Highway.

But, some things that I do like about the Car. The side view of the doors, sail panel, front of the quarter panels are right on. I like the little "gills" on the fronts of the Quarter panels, just behind the Doors. they look good. The Roof looks good. Windshield rake and all look fine. Hood looks good. And, after looking at the car in person again. Saw the the rear Spoiler is correct, except that it is too curved to match that pointy rear end.

So,I took some pix at different angles. I also too some pix of the front end of a Cadillac XLR to compare, (But it looks a tad off,as,the headlights were on) I also took some pix of the new Mustang, which we've all seen by now. And the Challenger. IMO,those 2 cars did accomplish Exactly what they set out to accomplish. Those Mustangs couldn't be kept in Stock when they first came out. That Challenger? I have the feeling that it will have a waiting list for some time. Along with Premiums attached to the MSRP...That is...IF....you want one now. And judging from what I heard at the Auto Show. That car is gonna be Hot!

Unfortunately, I did not hear the same at the Camaro Concept area. Though the Camaro did win a contest for one of the best looking Cars at the Show. What I kept hearing, over and over, BOTH times that I was at the Show,was "Man,they missed the mark with that Car". "Oh,I don't like it as much as the Challenger"."That car barely resembles a '69 Camaro". ETC....

Also, that HHR. IMO, another miss by Chevy. When P.T. Cruisers first came out. Again, dealers couldn't keep them in Stock. If you wanted one. You would have to pay Sticker, maybe more (if you aren't a savvy Car Buyer) Movie Stars like Cher had them. People are still buying lots of them.

The HHR? I haven't seen more than a few out on the road. Chevy Dealers have them lined up all over the place.

And, I am a GM Fan/Customer saying this! Ofcourse, all my own personal opinions here. So,what does everyone else think? I was going to post some pix of '69 Camaro's to have something for comparison. But, I can't find any right now. I'll keep looking, but, we all know what they look like.

(Sorry about the Fuzzy pix...still learning the new Camera. But I have a few more clearer pix of the camaro that I'll post.)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    the camaro concept looks good, it has some of the styling of the 60s camaros. i would take the camaro over the mustang, the challenger is a different story - it looks great - front and rear grills are sweet. however, i guess these should all be seen in person. thanks for the photos.
    john
    78 308 GTS

3. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Funny the views of your camera makes the Camero look like a Mustang at times and the Challenger at others.

My vote
    1) Challenger - build it with a Hemi and I'll buy it
    2) Mustang - so so, the GT 500 looks cool, if you can get one at the sticker price
    3) Camero - get rid of the tire/rim bing and get more retro ones and then maybe reconsider

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I like all retromobiles. Beats your standard Honda/Toyota/Kia box anytime.

My vote goes to the Camaro. Just badass. Could use a little more hp.

5. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    All I can say is that I still marvel at how dissapointing the Mustang is. It looks like it was designed by two different individuals or teams that didn't speak with each other during the process. The front of the car is so very good..aggressive, purposeful and full of the Mustang image. Then you go around back and it all goes to pieces. From the rear it looks like Aunt Sara's wimpy grocery-getter. A good candidate for a customized tail treatment.

6. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The nicest thing I can say about it is that I don't like it.

7. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Challenger WILL have a Hemi in it!....:)

Mustang GT500 does look good,again,IMO..

8. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #8 FerrariFrank1, Feb 24, 2006
    I do think that the Camaro looks "O.K." as it is. But that's not my point. My point is that it is "missing the mark" as far as trying to resemble a '69 Camaro. (And I've heard more people say that about the Camaro than the other 2 cars.) As much as the new Mustang resembles a '69-'70 Mustang. And the new Challenger resembles a '70-'71 Challenger. The Mustang and Challenger look like what they are meant to resemble. IMO, the Camaro is just a bit off....Close,but not quite....

And as I say this. I have my Beard. And I am wearing a Tweed Cap and Coat. Scarf. And smoking a pipe.....:) Just like the "Big Boys" at the Big Car Magazines....:)

O.K. We have got to get serious here.... Let me try some more Camaro concept pix.

9. lotusboy

lotusboy Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2003
    Madison,Wi.
    Full Name:
    Kevin Geiwitz
    We have had at least 10 calls asking if it will become a production car, so i think people like it.

10. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Gravedigger always was my favourite monster truck.

11. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #12 FerrariFrank1, Feb 25, 2006