Should I hide the Ferrari while selling the house? | FerrariChat

Should I hide the Ferrari while selling the house?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by GrigioGuy, Feb 25, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Just a random thought -- we all know the 'Ferrari surtax' that happens when someone giving an estimate for work sees the Fcar in the garage. Do you all think it works the same way when selling a house? I'm concerned that people will see the 328, not realize it's a cheap car, and then try to lowball on the house 'because he doesn't need the money'

Maybe I'm just overthinking this thing?

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    It has been brought up before, and the general consensus was yes hide it, if I recall.

3. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I'm too lazy to look it up right now but I'm pretty sure the same question has been asked before...... maybe it was on the old board?..... might be worth searching for.

4. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    In this case, better safe than sorry. Hide it

5. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Although I've only been in my house less than a year and have owned the Fcar less than a month, I *def*initely think I'll be leaving the Ferrari with a friend when the time comes to sell the house - whenever that may be.

When we were looking for houses, I remember going to look at one that was having an "open house". The listing agent was there, and when I inquired about the location of the door to get into the garage, he says, "Oh...it's over there, and you HAVE to see the Corvette in there!" It was under a cover, but this jobber pulled the cover off this gorgeous 65-66 coupe - I was blown away. What a tool...

6. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    actually, my house is for sale, and when ever there was a showing i made it a point to park in the yard, so when the people came out to see the house they would notice the car and figure, he has an expensive car and would be waste of time to low ball, because he dosnt need the money and can afford to hold on to the house.

7. brim

brim Guest

Dec 20, 2004
    I did both times when I sold my places.

While removing it may not help your sale, having it there definitely will not help.

8. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Makes no sense to me. Home values are based on comparable sales and condition of home, not the car in the garage.

-R

9. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I don't think it will make a difference, when my parents were selling one of their homes on the same block as mine, I had my 360 Spider parked there and people kept asking them if the car came with the house. I don't think it will go either way.

10. jimwalking

jimwalking Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2006
    Buy a $20 cheap plastic blue tarp to cover it, no one is going to untarp it to see it s a Ferrari. People will simply assume it is a project car.

11. brim

brim Guest

Dec 20, 2004
    That's only partially accurate. The value of the home is strongly connected to the emotional response it creates for the buyer.

I can tell you right now that if you were selling your house and I walked into your garage and saw that nice 355 of yours, my first offer would not be at your asking price.

12. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I left mine at the house for an open house once.

The realtor said ALL of the guys asked "is the car included with the house"

But no one really did more than that. I figured that I would leave it there so that the buyers may remember the house over some other home they looked at the same day.

You know... "...OH yeah honey, the house with the Ferrari..."

I thought it may add some panache to the house to have one in the garage. I cant tell ya if it worked or not though. I never met the couple who bought the house.

13. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    Cover it and leave it in the Garage.

14. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    That's kind of what I was thinking... makes it more memorable.

15. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Yea, I remember this thread before. Your call on hiding the car but for sure hide the meds. Apparently they disappear. I'd personally hide the car, what they don't know won't hurt them.

16. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    Why hide it?
    Leave it there as it has no relevant to selling the house.

17. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    No way, don't hide it. It says yea I have a few bucks, so what. Selling something is not an act of desperation, it just means you want to sell something.

It means;
    If you like my house, buy it, low ball me and I'll tell you to piss off, because I really don't need to sell anything, after all I own a Ferrari.

18. Darkhorse575

Darkhorse575 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I read an appraisal once that had a comp with a 348 in the driveway. It meant nothing. But that was a refi. On a purchase for a buyer maybe you'd be helping your curb appeal.

19. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

I agree with you if people think you have money they won't muck you around.
    On a slightly different subject my old boss had a really rare 60's Vw Beetle cabriolet that was used for a promotions by a sweet company when it was built, this person who kept ringing up & was trying to knock him down and thought he was going to get it really cheap and thought my old boss was desperate for the money (he was one of those types), when my old boss opened the garage there was his 328 & a '61 Corvette, his jaw hit the floor & kept his mouth shut & never dropped him down

20. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    sold my house while it had 2 f-cars in the garage. Not a problem at all...might have made my postion stronger.

it's good curb appeal.

21. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I don't think it will have any effect on the amount of an offer, but it could have an effect on whether the buyers make an offer. Our last two real estate brokers told us to declutter and depersonalize the houses we were selling, the point being to allow the buyers to visualize *their* stuff there so they could think of themselves living there. At the same time you want just enough stuff/furnishings in place to suggest a homey feeling and that the house will fit their needs and life.

With that advice in mind, the value of leaving the Ferrari around will depend on the house and the neighborhood. Put a Ferrari into a single car garage cluttered with old stuff and in a neighborhood where there are more ricers and such and you get the buyer to think about how inappropriate the house will be if they have or want to get nice cars. But put a Ferrari in a spacious 3 car garage where the neighbors have MB's, BMW's, Jags, etc and you get the buyer to think about how the house will fit in with their aspirations for nicer cars. Even if the buyer doesn't care about cars, you still leave a ghost of the impressions just mentioned.

22. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
  23. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    I posted a thread about it over the summer last year.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61491

I would never again keep the ferrari in house.

As for covering it, It will raise questions for some buyers and will tempt them to look under the covers. I sounds bizarre but it's true. You never know what people will do, or their agents will let them do, while you are not in the house.

24. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    I think they'd look at the car, understand the repair bills for it are very high and offer you $50K over your asking price for the house.

25. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    When I sold my last house I had 3 Ferrari's in the garage, an SL55 and an Indycar..........and I sold my house for more than I was asking.

The cars have nothing to do with the price of the house.