Headlamps Issue | FerrariChat

Headlamps Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by LW RedTR, Feb 25, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LW RedTR

LW RedTR Karting

Jan 12, 2006
    California
    If I put a Hella H1 light in each of the low beam lights and leave the high beams alone it seems that the draw goes up from 30w to 55 w per lamp times 2. Can I safely change just the bulbs without having to put a remote relay in, or will I end up burning up something, or drawing down too much power during operation? The car is an 88 Testarossa, which also has a Macintosh amp direct wired to the battery, and an alarm system, not sure how that's wired.

2. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    A 55w H1 bulb shouldn't dramatically increase the draw such that a fire hazard is created. However, do watch the fuse box for browning out of the headlamp circuit - if the draw is excessive you'll see a discoloration of the plastic connectors which can, over time, progress to a melt down situation. Definitely stay away from the 80w or 100w H1 bulbs if you're not wiring in a relay circuit. And, finally, make sure any accessory/non-stock wiring is properly situated so as to not put additional draw on an already maxed out circuit - ferrari is notorious for undersizing the wiring and connectors.

3. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Amen, i stupidly up-rated the headlights without other mods and the fuse box's relay began to melt. i fixed it and went back to lower rates lamps (Silver Star or some such).