Driving Experience at Thruxton Circuit | FerrariChat

Driving Experience at Thruxton Circuit

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Single Serving Jack, Feb 27, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Single Serving Jack

Nov 15, 2005
    #1 Single Serving Jack, Feb 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This Saturday I had my first ever drive in a Ferrari F430 and a Lamborghini Murcielago at Thruxton Circuit. As a total track novice it was a fantastic day, well organised and good value for money. The instructors especially were extremely friendly and helpful at all times.

After some (what I kind of regarded as practice) laps in a Mazda RX8 and a Merc SLK320, I went out for four laps in the Lambo - I was really surprised how easy it was to drive and how comfortable it was. The paddle gearchange was also a first for me - how easy are they? Apart from a slight lurch when changing up I thought that was great.

Then the F430 - even better, so much more stiff and sharp. The steering was razor sharp, if a little heavy for me - but the brakes and gearchange were even better than the Lambo.

Throughout all the driving up till then I hadn't dared look at the speedo, but the instructor in the Ferrari gave me speeds at certain points on the first lap, so I said to him to let me know if we got above 125mph (the fastest I'd driven a car). On the final lap I got it up to 130mph :)

I'd recommend the Thruxton experiences to anyone who hasn't driven on a track or a Ferrari before - I now have a desperate need to get back in the drving seat!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Sounds like a fun day. Always wanted to do something like that. What was the cost like, and how long did the whole thing last?

3. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Its quite funny your first time on the track, people always think they are the next Schumacher when they drive on the road, but nothing prepares you for track driving, you then corner like you would never try on the road (probably because you have run off areas & that its not your car!!), I remember my first trackday simlar to yours a few years ago and it was awesome, I couldn't stop thinking about it for ages, I would certainly reccomended these to anyone, especially this type if you don't want to thrash your own car, I have done a few now and can't wait for the next one, i'm glad you enjoyed it & have the pics to remember it by

4. Single Serving Jack

Nov 15, 2005
    All the details and costs are on their website:

http://www.thruxtonracing.co.uk/home.html

It was a funny first time on a track - everyone was scored and marked for lots of different criteria (Approach, Steering, Gearchange, Lines, Braking and Pace) plus you got a mark for how you took each corner - I had no idea about this and wasn't really looking forward to being 'graded'. After driving all four cars I got 92% which was the highest of the day (until that point anyway) so I must have been doing something right.

Now I know I'm not a total muppet when it comes to track driving I want more! I never felt that I was going particularly quickly at any time, one of the instructors said that's because keeping smooth and gradual with the controls doesn't feel fast but is the way to quick lap times. Learnt a lot.

5. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

I got 97% on my first time which I thought would have been higher (not bragging), he put me down as a typical ferrari driver, my only problem was I never braked early enough, I like braking as late as possible on a track, I think I did scare him a bit ;-)

6. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Thruxton is a great circuit - one of the few unmolested old skool tracks. You may have the itch now - and continue with an expensive habit.

7. woza

woza Karting

Aug 27, 2004
    Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Warren O'Connell
    ive done a few of the track days at thruxton, did the old elise, when they had them and i managed to get that up to 130!! Dont mean to brag, they were such an awesome car to drive, have also done the 360, which was fantastic also. thruxton are great hosts, i also did a track day at goodwood in a lamborghini diablo but that was nothing compared to being at thruxton, looking forward to getting in the exige, and the f430.

I must say that the formula renaults are probably the most exciting to drive!!!

Woza.

8. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
  9. lee3105

lee3105 Rookie

Aug 29, 2005
    Jack i done the ultimate supercar experience last saturday porsche 911 tt, ferrari 430 and the lambo. Whilst the event was well organised and the cars and instructors were good, i dissapointed about not being able to use the full revs in each gear. The instructors keep telling me to change up quite early so only got up to about 6k in ferrari and lambo. So ended up using mostly 3rd and 4th round the track and although in terms of top speeds they were ok, got up to 130, i wanted to feel the full accleration and experience of these cars. Did you find the same?

10. Single Serving Jack

Nov 15, 2005
    Hi Lee, yes I did find the same - as it was my first experience of driving these cars I didn't find it too intrusive but if I was to go again I probably would feel different. Certainly I wasn't getting anywhere near the performance levels the cars were capable of, especially in terms of acceleration. That was a slight dissapointment but then again I wasn't really expecting any more.

11. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    Its always a compromise as to keeping it safe (plus the car in one piece) and allowing the customer to enjoy the drive. Especially for people who have not driven on a circuit before and never had 350bhp+ under their right foot. One small off in a Ferrari or Lambo can completely wipe out 2 days profit.

99% of people have a great time but accidents do happen, from a minor bang to a 360 (& driver) being split in 2 ... driving fast is dangerous wherever you do it, its just the danger levels need to be controlled.

Glad you enjoyed the day out.

Richard
    (ARDS Instructor)