HELP! Looking to buy 355 Spyder... | FerrariChat

HELP! Looking to buy 355 Spyder...

Discussion in '348/355' started by simons2k, Feb 28, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. simons2k

simons2k Rookie

Feb 28, 2006
    Valencia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Hello everyone!

I've been a sports car enthusiast since grade school and have always dreamed of one day owning a Ferraril. The timing is now right and I've decided on the 355 Spyder.

I'm requesting some help as to what I should be looking for, any concerns I should have as I shop for one. A few questions:

-Are there specific years to stay away from, or preferred years to look for?
    -Any weak links/problem areas?
    -Howz the maintenance?$$?
    -Are there any current owners that went from an NSX to the 355, and what are your impressions?

I want to thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

-Simon

2. HOT4RE

HOT4RE Karting

Nov 28, 2005
    LA County, CA
    Full Name:
    (TJ)
    Hi,

Are you located in Valencia, CA? If so, send me a Private message (PM).

3. Vitamin_J

Vitamin_J Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2006
    Lots of great info in the archives. Use the search feature above on each of your questions. You'll find many a great contribution from Fchat members on the topics. Good luck!

4. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    #4 VTChris, Feb 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Look no further!

Call Steve Jones at SportAuto.cc in NC.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. simons2k

simons2k Rookie

Feb 28, 2006
    Valencia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Yup, Valencia CA. I tried pm'ing you but for what ever reason I'm not allowed yet.

6. simons2k

simons2k Rookie

Feb 28, 2006
    Valencia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Been looking around the forums and seems like I should wait and get a 360. Any arguments on this?

7. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    In the UK the 360 spider is about 40% more than the 355 spider. If cash is no issue why not wait for an F430?

8. HOT4RE

HOT4RE Karting

Nov 28, 2005
    LA County, CA
    Full Name:
    (TJ)
    #8 HOT4RE, Feb 28, 2006
    Simon,

I am in Valencia, CA as well. I own 348 Spider and would love to show you when the rain stops. It takes some time to be able to PM or send email when you are new. Once you are able, please PM me. Nice to see others in Valencia.

TJ

9. simons2k

simons2k Rookie

Feb 28, 2006
    Valencia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Cash is certainly an issue for an F430. I'm trying to own a Ferrari outright. Car payments suck!

10. simons2k

simons2k Rookie

Feb 28, 2006
    Valencia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    TJ, that is one nice looking Ferrari! I'd love to see it in person soon. Thanks for your help.

Yeah, this rain is a drag.

11. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    #11 azcarguy, Feb 28, 2006
    I will be posting my 96 spider on ferrariads this weekend (or earlier). I purchased the car from board member Delaney and have brought the car the rest of the way up to speed since I've owned it. It has:

all service records
    30K in 04'
    new dash/door panel uppers to match (within 60 days)
    new cv boots (within 5 days)
    refinished wheels with new centers (within 60 days)
    front end repaint with new badges (to remove rock chips) (all within 60 days)
    has been tuned to perfection (within 5 days)

12. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    I can vouch for this car.... it was mine. It's dead straight with no stories. I fixed all the sticky bits and lots of other cosmetics, while Marc has taken it to the next level of perfection. The only reason I sold it was because I moved to the middle east. If you're after a really decent 355 you should take a serious look.

The Challenge grill looks great and with the Tubi it sounds like a banshee with her broom caught in the door!

Regards,

Pete

13. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Thanks for the support Pete hope all is well over yonder!

I will be posting a complete ad and description with pictures in the ferrari-ads section and will more than likely post the car in the FML. It wont last long given it's condition and price (which will be in the $79K range) especially compared to what's currently available!

14. dougburhyte

dougburhyte Karting

Dec 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Douglas Burhyte
    Marc - That's a fantastic looking Spider. I purchased a 1999 355 GTS F1 this past November for $89K, and wish I had waited for yours, given all the work you and Pete have done. I'm also considering re-doing the dash and door panels and was wondering who you're using as parts supplier and installer (if you're not doing the latter yourself)?

Doug

15. simons2k

simons2k Rookie

Feb 28, 2006
    Valencia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Marc, your car looks awesome! Is it an F1 tranny or maual gearbox?

16. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    It's a manual.

Regards,

Pete

17. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    sorry about being late to the party but as Pete said it is a manual car. All the nitty gritty details to follow (either tomorrow or sat).

18. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc

Doug- I worked with a local gentleman who specializes in exotic service and through his contacts we chose the leather that was used and sent the parts to another local shop for completion.

I don’t where you live but my suggestion is to speak with the folks that service these cars as I'm sure you're not the first to need the dash repaired and they will more than likely have a referral or two.

19. dougburhyte

dougburhyte Karting

Dec 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Douglas Burhyte
    Marc - Thanks for the reply. I really love the lines of the 355 models - both Spider and GTS - so I'm hoping to go over mine "with a fine-tooth comb" much as you have done with yours.

Doug