308 GTS city driving | FerrariChat

308 GTS city driving

Discussion in '308/328' started by bigdreamer, Mar 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigdreamer

bigdreamer Karting

Jan 24, 2005
    Wash. DC area
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    How do you owners drive the 308 in the city with the traffic? Since I am a novice stick shifter I would like to know. I assume only 2nd and 3rd gear will be used. Constant shifting necessary? When I practiced on another car I tend to be lazy and not shift as much since I can only go so fast. What about those heavy trafficked areas?

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    New 328 owner here, same gearbox...

I sure wouldn't enjoy driving this car on our crappy city streets, stop and go at 10-20mph. The usual rules apply: don't 'lug' the engine in the wrong gear, try to match revs on a downshift keep off the clutch and overall treat it with respect. I'd think 3rd gear would get used, nothing higher.

I take my Jeep downtown. It's an automatic, and you can park in the cheap lots.

3. Canut

Canut Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Manuel Canut
    Just like any other car.
    I am more worried about big SUV's not seeing me in traffic.

4. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    If fine in traffic. Sure the coolant/oil temps might climb up a bit due to no airflow, but is fine. As for shifting, i usualy leave it in 2nd or 3rd depending on how crawling the traffic is provided it is slow and constantly moving.

5. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    You've got power all the way from 2800 to 8000 RPM so you don't have to shift too often. Just use 2nd and 3rd and all of the powerband that you feel comfortable with.

And yes running at too low RPM (lugging) is more harmful than running at high RPM. The engine is happy at higher RPM, the oil is flowing good, water is flowing good and all is right with the world.

6. milstanselnino

milstanselnino Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    Keep your foot off the clutch at stop lights.

7. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Why do you say that?

8. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Keeps pressure off the throwout bearing, thus increasing its life.

Seamus

9. Forzaholics Anonymous

Forzaholics Anonymous Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    I'll use mine as a daily driver for up to two weeks at a time. I've driven it in the rain, hauled stuff from Home Depot and done 240 mile road trips in it. Like others said, 2nd and 3rd gears, watch the throwout bearings and match revs. It's also a great excuse not to have to answer the cellphone while driving.

The one thing I will not do is drive it in stop & go traffic when its more then 85-90 deg.

10. bwassam

bwassam Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2005
    North Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Robert Wassam

I considered this issue myself. I even thought about putting one of those off road flags on a pole off the rear bumper. Then I felt like if I did that, then I may as well suction cup a big windup key handle on the rear bonnet too.

No, I think we'll just drive it and have fun.

Bob

11. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    I even saw a television show that suggested "don't blip the throttle at red lights, every RPM you save today will be added on to the end of your engine life".

Personally I think that is a little extreme. But I like the idea of keeping it in nuetral. I suppose that should reduce clutch wear as well.

In Michigan lights are short (30 seconds) but recently I was in Vegas and Phoenix in a rented 360. Man those lights seem like 5 minutes.

12. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    ANY manual transmission should be left in neutral at a stoplight; the main reason is to save wear on the throw-bearing, as posted above, but also so that you don't accidentally pop the clutch and stall or worse.