246 GTS -- $185,00!!! | FerrariChat

246 GTS -- $185,00!!!

Discussion in '206/246' started by hank sound, Feb 11, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    I wonder what this will really go for. Victory Motorcars is asking (pleading) for $185,000 for their "original" vehicle. Wow!!

2. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i must be missing something. the only car i see on their site is the car that was just sold. where are you seeing a car for $185k?

3. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    They only show one Ferrari in inventory and it is the GTS. Call for price.

4. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    185k.....he hasn't woke up from his dream yet.

5. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    that car has been sold. it was sold for $125k on ebay several weeks ago.

6. Fernando

Fernando Rookie

Jan 29, 2004
    New Mexico
    Sold for $125,000. Yeah, that's real close to the $185,000 asking price. Once again, asking price and sale price are very different things. However, this does make me respect the seller much less. If I were ever to buy a car from the guy, I would assume I could offer him significantly less than what he is asking. This could really hurt the guy in the future.

7. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    the seller never asked $185k, i don't know where that comes from, but it isn't the case. the seller is reputable and the buyer at $125k is an f-chatter.

8. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Well, it may be a typo but, go to www.dupontregistry.com, find your way to the one Dino listed, and you'll see what I see.

9. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    Thats it!!! my Dino is for sale for best offer over $185,000.

10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Years ago, Dinos have been above that price.
    Are you betting they won't ever again?

11. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    I wonder how many will exchange hands at that rarified air figure?

12. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

http://www.drautos.com/search/srDetails.asp?itemid=268771&sessionkey={6758A35E-885D-4C2D-AB77-2874CB6E45B9}

13. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Dave,
    Thanks for the assistance. Enjoyed the phone chat.
    Cheers, Hank

14. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    I thought that craziness was due to Enzo's death. Every Fcar went thru the roof! The Dino might get back up to those prices but it won't be for a long time. But if I'm wrong, I might be talked into selling mine. And then again, maybe not. :)

15. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  16. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    the car of topic is being featured in another thread as a dino being restored.

17. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I have to say that a 246 GTS selling for $125,000 is still very surprising. When did they make the leap over the $100k barrier?

What is a good chairs and flares worth? $140,000?

18. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    Howdy Alex, no later than last summer....

1973 246GTS Dino at RM's August Auction at Meadow Brook sold for $115,500 against a high estimate of $90,000.

19. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Yes I bought the car for $125,000. Did I pay to much, depends. If I were going to turn around to sell who knows. I didn't get it to sell. As you know the market has pretty well dried up on these things. This was a good clean straight car with no rust or damage and all the parts were there, except for the books which since I got the car I now have most of what I need. I have always loved Dino's and have had 3 over a 30 year period. The price in my situation was not important. I needed a car now to start a project. My son will be home from college shortly, we are very close and they grow up fast and then they are gone. He is a car fanatic like me and I could think of nothing better than having my son work with the next three months when he's out of school. There is no price you can put on memories like that. What couldn't be better than your 18 year old son thinking you are his hero. I 've flown him home from college a couple times in the last month to help with starting to strip the car. He's in heaven. We started a thread (Dino Restoration) where we are going to report our progress. Any questions I have are answered almost immediately on Ferrari Chat. Sorry for the rambling. In my case is $125,00 to much to pay. Absolutely not. If anyone has a good coupe we're going to do that next.

20. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK

Enjoy! Sounds like a great investment.........and I'm not talking about the just car! Much to the possible dismay of my wife, I'd rather enjoy the cars instead of fretting about the precise spot market value of a car I'm buying.

21. CollectorMorry

CollectorMorry Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Morry Barmak
    My car - a '72 GTS which has competed at several shows - was built from a $60K donor car with $65K in restoration bills. I guess that adds up to $125K.....but more importantly, when I brought the car into Canada, a client/friend offered me CDN$150K (about US$130K) for it - if and when I ever decided to sell. As with most collectibles, it's an issue of supply and demand. This particular guy would pay any 'reasonable' price to know that he's getting something near perfect, without all the usual hassles. In my search for a Dino I found several cars over $100k, many of which needed work.

Morry

22. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i think the days of cars under $100k are gone. almost all dino will need work, it just depends how much. it seems strange that the "selling prices" haven't surfaced on fchat. i know of several cars that have been sold over the last month and are making the original car that started this thread look like an absolute steal at $125k.

23. andy tymkiw

andy tymkiw Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Santa Barbar CA
    Full Name:
    andrew tymkiw
    I tend to agree with your view on buying at 125. There are more than one type of buyer and each has their rightful angle and interest. I just bought a platinum gts at 150 and have no regrets. to a purist a great car will always have value without refrence to $$$.

24. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    real estate market and I think low interest rates have something to do with the recent price rise...bringing both speculators and those aging boomers who have long been jonesing for the car and now are empty nesters and figure what the hell money is cheap....also the increase broader media attention paid to car auctions ( hey they couldn't cover the run up in realestate forever --it gets boring) has boosted prices for muscle cars for sure. for me the dino is a special car and not an investment vehicle..but markets tend to be ..well ...markets! ( hey, ferrari production on modern models is larger than ever so....I guess the older "classic" cars are all the more "rare" by comparison (don't think "purists" - whoever they are -- would ever call a 246 rare))