Ebay Mondial 8 what about NADA value? | FerrariChat

Ebay Mondial 8 what about NADA value?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by skyboltone, Jan 27, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. skyboltone

skyboltone Karting

Jan 16, 2006
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Dan Hall
    Greetings:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-Ferrari-Mondial-All-Current-Ferrari-Maintenance_W0QQitemZ4608227189QQcategoryZ6212QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is a car that interests me but I think that the lower end cars like this one are going to be overbid compared to NADA values. I threw the NADA "average" price at it because I would have been willing to pay PPI dollars to see if the car was a good buy at that value. I would like a reality check with some of you guys with experience as to the clarity of my thinking here. (Fatbillybob?)

With a car coming out of a dealer collection and only 16K miles I'm not sure what the seller means by "all current Ferrari maintenance done". Why would a new car dealer collect a Mondial 8 with a ding in the door, a wasted headliner, and tired upholstery? Would he take it out of storage to change belts and other time sensitive components every 5 years as recommended, then put it back on blocks? Who cares how much tire tread is left, tires that old need to be replaced.

Presuming that one put a major into this car for starters, then what happens to injection components in a car essentially unused for 25 years? How about the seals at the "other" end of the cams, clutch and brake wearing surfaces, leather, hoses and other rubber stuff, sensors and black box parts and on and on. If a guy paid $12,850 for this car he'd be $22,850 deep before he drove a mile. Then he'd still have a Mondial 8, a ding in the door, a trashed headliner, and 14" wheels. Still, a new Dodge Neon goes for more and would be far less enjoyable in the long term.

Wow. I'm glad I got outbid.

What do you think?

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    NADA values are useless when dealing with old Ferraris.

Car is nice, probably will go for somewhere in the $16-18k range.

3. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    And that car is 25 years old now, it's going to money to keep it going even if it is "perfect".

4. MondialMondo

MondialMondo Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2005
    USA
    Full Name:
    MondialMondo
    I know the feeling of being glad that you were outbid. I also agree with judge4re that NADA values are useless when dealing with old Ferraris. I believe that the values posted by the Ferrari Market Letter would be a much better standard to use. Take the value published for the current month for your Ferrari model and deduct the amount of necessary expenses you need to incur to bring it back to driveable condition (such as belt changes). The result equals the amount of money I would pay for the car assuming there are no other major issues. Once you start driving the car a little bit you will notice that your water pump will lock up (if not locked up already), your fuel pump will start leaking, etc. After 25 years of little driving and mostly standing, these parts would all need to be replaced. I've gone through all of this myself. Good luck in finding the right car.

Regards

5. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Mondal 8 should never be more than 20,000, IMO.

6. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Whats up with an 85mph speedo?
    Erik

7. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    From the era of Ralph Nader, 55 mph national speed limits and limited speedometers would discourage fast driving and unnecessary fuel usage. But I think the car is still a good deal for around $20k. I don't think the 'major' service is very expensive on these cars and I would just replace the wheel / tire combo with some from maybe a 348 and be lookin' smooth for around $25k. But if you are happy that you were outbid, look for another car. You may be surprised to find the 'seller' offering the car to you at some intermediate price. Beware of the 'winning bidder backed out of the deal' ebay scam.
    BT

8. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Does anyone FMLs price on a Mondial 8?

9. buckminster

buckminster Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2005
    On the water, SWFL
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Raftis
    I have an 85 MPH speedo on my 79 308 gts and I would love to convert it to something more practical. Anybody have any ideas?

10. DougS026

DougS026 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Doug S
    US spec cars had 85mph speedos back then. Interestingly enough my US spec '82 Mondial has a 180mph speedo. I have all the service records since it was new and no indication that it was changed. Can't explain it.

11. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Thanks guys!
    Erik

12. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Sam, I'm starting to disagree with this. I think a perfect one (fresh service, everything works, and paint/leather in excellent condition) should be more.

13. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I think any Ferrari in good shape is a bargain at $20k or less. When I look online, I never see anything that looks decent for under $20k.
    BT

14. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    uh...thinking of selling? ;)

OK, maybe. I am seeing asking prices of mid to hi 20's and sale prices at 20.

15. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Nope. But I did receive an unsolicited offer on the 308.

Mongo stays. Any car that upsets the wife needs to stay around.

16. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    The latest cavallino price guide (issue 151) has the mondial 8s valued between a low of $18k and a high of $25k which I would deem as fairly accurate. The low mark was also raised this month from $17k in issue 150 which had risen from $15k in issue 149.

Cavallinos prices are based upon surveys taken by selected dealers.