F355 Manifold extraction | FerrariChat

F355 Manifold extraction

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jssans, Feb 28, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jssans

jssans Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Josh
    My Dealer(Bentley St.Louis) has told me that you can take out & replace the manifolds on a F355 by removing the rear wheels. It looks to me the only way the manifolds can be changed is by having the engine out. I wonder if anyone here has had experiences relating to changing the manifolds.

2. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Josh, Wheels off inner fenders off remove muffler and cats then the exhaust manifolds fairly simplistic answer but its just straight forward and not a real problem. Hope that helps, Regards, Vern

3. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    Access to them isn't all that easy from the side, but much better than pulling the engine. Just a lot of little stuff to move out of the way before the manifolds come out.

4. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Yea, I would never go to the trouble to pull/drop the motor for that. Actually the hardest part(if there is one) is manuevering the header around the engine cradle tubes and the engine and they are still there when you drop the engine/cradle unit out. I've removed/installed 3 sets and never had any trouble. Regards Vern

5. jssans

jssans Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Thanks, Vern & TopElement. My worries are set aside.

6. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    The most that you would need to remove would be the oil sump tank on the right side of the car, (in addition to the rear wheels and the inner fenders). Absolutely would not take the motor out.

Ken

7. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    You don't even have to do that(oil tank) at least I never had to.

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Makes it Soooooo much easier though. i always remove it..takes all of 10 minutes to get it out.

9. fmaderi

fmaderi Formula Junior

May 8, 2005
    clearwater Fla/NY
    Full Name:
    frank maderi
    i have removed the fans and the oil line attached to the oil tank[actually only losen the bottom not and swong it out of the way . what header did you replace the oem with .the donuts can be reused but the thin band clamp on the stub pipe does not like to be over tighten . they are sold a with the flange and nipple . over $100 each side. i am trying some 2 1/8 clamps i modified . they seem to work but are labor intensive .

10. twoferraristom

Apr 2, 2004
    I just replaced my manifolds. Here are some tricks to removing them:
    Remove the rear wheels, fender liners , Rear bumper, muffler assembly,
    cats, air boxes , shield below air boxes. Remove the CV boot heat shields . Double nut and remove the two exhaust mounting studs from each rear cylinder .
    I did driver's side first. I unplugged the spark plug wires from the coils , removed the wires from the retaining rings on the frame.Move them away from the manifolds.Remove the air injection tube assembly. I removed the radiator fan from the drivers side radiator.Remove the brake electrical tubing from the clip going down the verticle frame rail just in front of the rear wheel. Rotate the clip from a horizontal to a verticle position. The manifold should then come out. By a hair!
    On the passenger side, I removed the dry sump tank first . I had to remove the exhaust manifold from the cylinder head in order to remove the sump tank.
    I had to remove the cooling fan, the oil cooler radiator and its oil hoses first before removing the exhaust manifold.
    I installed the replacement manifolds in reverse order of removal. I even had to loosen the motor mounts (4) and tilt the rear of the motor up slightly to get the new maniflold on the drivers side to go in.
    Good Luck!