GUIDE Tool Kits - Factory Supplied Data:Parts Manual | FerrariChat

GUIDE Tool Kits - Factory Supplied Data:Parts Manual

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by shaughnessy, Mar 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
  2. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
  3. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    #3 shaughnessy, Mar 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    #4 shaughnessy, Mar 7, 2006
  5. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    #5 shaughnessy, Mar 7, 2006
  6. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
  7. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
  8. DinoDriver

DinoDriver Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    Full Name:
    Bill Ebert
    Which reminds me, Tom, would you happen to have the pliers and the smallest of the open end wrenches (8/10mm) for the Dino tool kit, either OEM or NOS. I'm missing both, unfortunately.

Bill

9. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    #10 shaughnessy, Mar 7, 2006
  10. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Tom,
    So a 275gtb and '69 daytona have the same tool kit? blue jack, etc?
    would this also apply to a dec '70 manufacture daytona?
    Ed

11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Tom,
    Also, when was the metal back safety triangles last used?
    Ed

12. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
  13. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Hello Tom - anything on the 212s, esp Inter EU? Regards, Will

14. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    ED:
    Which 275 tool kit are you referring to?
    I know and have seen 5 different styles.

This splitting hairs discussion should not be continued on this thread. My effort was an attempt to scan Factory printed data, how accurate or not on what was supplied with a particular model, to use at a baseline for future questions, discussions and inquiries. Get everything in one central place. I think I accomplished this mission.

Announcement to Fchatters about FCA judging rules:

IAC/PFA guidelines, do not care if reproduction tools are used. As long as the tool kit is period correct tools (real or reproduction) and complete, we have been instructed to give the full 2 points for the tool kit. If the judge is unsure of different varients of a tool kit, not matching factory photos, they have been encouraged to ask more experienced personnel. Ask before deduct.

Additionally, handbooks are 2 points. We expect 3 items as a minimum, pouch (post1958), owner's manual, and parts book, where applicable.
    Again, LOUD AND CLEAR, accurate reproductions OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No warranty card, no dealer directories, no additional instruction, no consumer guide, no radio data, no clock hang tags, no tach cloths, no boxes, no keyfobs ARE REQUIRED TO GET THE FULL 2 POINTS. No extra points are given for bonus items. Very big problems on the concours field last year.
    BIG PROBLEMS, many unhappy entrants, some with good reason.

I headed this subject matter at past council meeting this January at Cavallino Classics. Some judges have had their pencils blunted, the group has been instructed to be more objective and follow the guidelines. We are here to judge the cars, not the accessories and how much a particular judge know about menusha.
    The judging group is here to encourage people to drive the cars, improve the cars and make them want to return. Rock chips ok too! (excessive paint damage naturally will be deducted for)

All these sundries are considerations at Pebble Beach where a first, second and third place have to be chosen. An entrant you should not lose a class position because the flutes of his accurately sized screwdrivers, are too shallow. This almost happened. We, myself included, as a group have gone too far. This problem has been addressed and hopefully rectified or set on a different path.
    We need to be more consistent as a judging group.

Parker Hall, the new head of the preservation council, is more than welcome to chime in and correct any of my comments and understanding of the Judging Guidelines. I think I hit the nail on the head.

FCHATTERS, Enjoy driving you cars!!!! (but don't miss that wrapper for your keyfob and that tach cloth on Ebay, upcoming :) )

Thank You,

15. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Bravo Tom! A most rational and I might add very, very selfless decision. My thanks to you and Parker for this rule. Michael Bayer #9727 & #14947

16. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    Michael,

The judging preservation guidelines have been around, the information was not reaching everyone. I, nor Parker are the authors. IAC/PFA council members have created this direction over the years. I trying to get the message out. The entrants, FCHATTERS and Ferrari enthusiasts usually do not know what is excepted of a car being shown, in the handbook and tool arena.

AGAIN, I am sure this will be revisted, over and over.

17. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Thanks for posting this, Tom!

18. flaviaman

flaviaman Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Vernonia, OR
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    One small point that may be of interest to some with 3X8 cars and Mondials.
    The tool kits for these models carried a variety of P/N's, yet the tools seem to be the same. The difference is typically v-belts or bulbs. For instance a 1983 308QV for North America carried a different P/N than 84 or 85 as the toolkit contained an air pump belt. Kits with bulbs can have different P/N's owing to lighting regs for the specific market the car was sold into - yellow H4's for France, no H4's for N/A etc.

19. DinoDriver

DinoDriver Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    Full Name:
    Bill Ebert
    I'm looking for the pliers and the smallest of the open end wrenches (8/10mm) for the Dino tool kit, either OEM or NOS. I'm missing both, unfortunately.

Can anyone help?

Bill

20. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Tough one.
    Sellers usually don't break this stuff up, tried Tom Shaugnessy for individual piece$?

21. TLKIZER660

TLKIZER660 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    #22 TLKIZER660, Sep 28, 2007
    I've noticed something strange (maybe) regarding 365 GT 2+2 tool bags. Of all the bags I've seen photos of, they are all like the left photo below (Scott Oshry's) - that is, with the ends of the straps to the right end, the lower left tool loop is a small one and the next one is a large one (for the hub puller?). The bag in the manual (right photo) shows the lower left loop to be a big one (almost hidden under the hub puller). Since I've never actually seen a real 365 GT 2+2 tool roll, I'm confused by the differences. Is it that, even within a car model, the tool bag designs varied by supplier, or by company whim, like the fuse boxes and some of the other tools did? Tom Shaughnessy, can you chime in here and maybe enlighten me/us?
    Tom Kizer
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #23 Bryanp, Sep 29, 2007
    Tom, this is a picture of Bill B's bag (I took from his ad on ebay). Neither mine nor Billy's has the big loop and ours are original. Knowing Ferrari, anything is possible - whatever went into the car on a given day was probably whatever was handy when it came to accessories. We are both missing the correct pliers at this time. calling TS??

23. TLKIZER660

TLKIZER660 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    According to the manual photo, the upper and lower straps are different. I suspect that whoever was making the bags sometimes sewed the upper strap on both sides, the lower strap on both sides, or even reversed the straps left to right randomly before threading the retaining strap into the base strap. That would provide quite a few permutations. The spacing of the holes also appears to be variable. Probably typical Ferrari supplier workmanship and quality control of the era.
    I think a series of photos might provide a good basis for a protest, if a judge were to deduct points for not having the "correct" bag.
    I started this bag study to facilitate the design of a home made repro bag. I'm not sure I trust the quality, fidelity, or correctness of the repro bags I've seen. And, I'm too far out of vintage Ferrari mainstream to buy something sight-unseen.
    If anyone has any other insights, please comment.
    Tom Kizer

24. Ed_Long

Ed_Long Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Salem, Oregon USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Long
    Thanks Tom for the tool kit illustrations. Very nice. Our kit for the PF coupe has everything except the dynamo belt which was probably applied to the car sometime years ago. Thanks again,
    Ed