11-99 Foundation ? | FerrariChat

11-99 Foundation ?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by cbreed, Mar 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cbreed

cbreed Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Jonestown, Tx
    Full Name:
    Charles
    #1 cbreed, Mar 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Isn't 1800 any more.

Art

3. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
  4. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

Don't join just because of the supposed "thanks for no ticket idea."

Do it for the cause. It is really worth the donation.

5. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    I heard it went to $10k. I am a member, and yes it works. Don't expect it to get you out of triple digits, or blaitant recklessness, but your normal light law breaking, it works really well.

6. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    They did delay the price increase, but I can't remember the new date.

I've also heard stories of it helping to be a member and I've heard that sometimes it just doesn't matter. I think there are a lot of factors that will decide the outcome. I've known some people that had some large reduction in speed with the ticket they received and I've also heard of some friends that walked with no ticket at all. I know a couple of members that they could have taken in because of the speeds and didn't.

7. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    #7 VTChris, Mar 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

I heard the same. I am a lifetime member as well. CHP sent me on my way a few weeks ago. I don't have the plate frames on my cars. just the badge.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. ethirtysex

ethirtysex Karting

Mar 14, 2005
    West Linn, OR.
    Full Name:
    Kevin J. Bonnington
    Do you have to find a sly way to slip the card into view? I heard cops do not like that sometimes.

9. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    The badge holds ID, Registration and insurance, I just handed him the wallet and he nicely handed it back and said "have a nice day sir and thank you for your support."

10. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    There's a 5k & 10k membership now.

11. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario

Christopher -

no offense here but did you really need to show your badge on F-chat???? I'm a life time member as well and would not advertise like you just did.

I think it is in absolute bad taste and sending a bad message for potential future members and the reason for the foundation.

Why don't you mention and show off how the organization just paid $20K in dontations to 2 widows of CHP officers killed in the line of duty. The widows just thanked every member of the 11-99 foundation for their support in such a hard time. This is more news worthy than sharing your ID with everyone and I hope this is real reason you joined - Advertising your gold tin to the entire Ferrari Chat community was really a bad move !!!

(shaking my head that you are a fellow 11-99 member) :(

12. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario

I think you would agree that you are given a proffesional courtesy if deserved - that is all.

13. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

Sorry if I offended you or anyone else on this board.
    I don't agree with your statement that it is a bad message to show "your Tin".
    I am and have been a proud supporter of the LA County Sheriffs, CHP, and LAPD for over a decade. I donate more to these causes then I need to mention.
    And the only reason I give is for THE CAUSES, Not the BS that it gets people out of tickets.
    Read my previous posts regarding the 1199 foundation.
    If you feel you need to tell me something I don't know, PM me and we can discuss it.

shaking my head that you are a fellow 11-99 member :(

14. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Moved to the appropriate sub-forum.

15. athen66

athen66 Rookie

Jun 9, 2004
    It is still $1800 until March 31st:

Thank you very much for your message and interest in the CHP 11-99
    Foundation. Although we will be increasing our lifetime membership rate and modifying
    our membership application process, at this time, eligible individuals may
    apply for lifetime membership ($1,800) and spouse lifetime membership (for an
    additional $1,200). (this rate is only valid through March 31, 2006).
    Applicants must be 25 years or older to be eligible for membership.

All eligible applicants for membership agree to the execution of a complete
    background investigation prior to final membership approval and a referral by
    a current CHP 11-99 Foundation member in good standing or an employee of the
    California Highway Patrol is required. The background investigation will
    include, but is not limited to, an inspection of driver's license status,
    criminal history, and a public records review.

Should you wish to have a membership application mailed to you, please
    provide us with your preferred mailing address via responsive email.

Rebecca Centner, Executive Director
    CHP 11-99 Foundation
    P O Box 3537
    La Habra, CA 90632-3537
    (562) 947-1199 phone
    (562) 902-6172 fax

16. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    I don't think he is spreading any negative or bad message on ferrarichat. Since forever people have had that thought in mind, VTC didn't ever say that he joined just to get out of tickets. All he showed was a picture of his wallet/badge and said shared a certain story. And really, you "could" criticize Jon as well then because he mentioned that he knows people who should've been taken in for high speeds but didn't. And I will share a story so you "could" criticize me as well. My brother got pulled over a little over a month ago for high speeds and the officer saw the back of his car then drove off and waved.

And seriously...
    If he was really a member only to show off that he belonged to the 11-99 foundation and to get out of tickets, he would at the LEAST put his plate holder on his car. That is what the officers see first when getting pulled over. So I don't get where your coming from by saying he is influencing members to join for it's face value...

He didn't mean it in bad taste, once I finally got my package after waiting 2 months I was so excited that I was contemplating posting pictures here on Fchat. Someone lately posted their pictures, it isn't a bad thing.

And if he really spent the money to try and get out of tickets, so what? He didn't and it's not what most of us would do, but lets not forget that it is his own money. He can do what he wants with it..

So lawwdogg, shake your head at the members who we read and hear about that are trying to use their member badge as some sort of position in law enforcement to the CHP officers. Not ones who post a picture of their wallet/badge and who share a little story involving luck. If I was in his place, I would've shared my story as well.

And who knows why the officer told him to have a good day, you ASSUME it's because he's an 11-99 member. But the officer didn't specifically tell him to have a nice day because he is an 11-99 member..

17. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Christopher I would have given you the benfit of the doubt if your post included the good reason for joining the 11-99. Too bad you had to bring it up in defense to my post - however, i'm glad you finally did.

No disrespect to me - just to the organization that provided you opportunity to join. I rather see other 11-99 members be respectfull of the priveldge of being a member rather than the potential glorification. I think you get my point as you support law enforcement as I do. Most cops and their supports usally only identify themselves to other cops and members.

I don't get why you would "shaking your head" at me for respecting the organization and calling you out - I know the organization wants it's members to be respectfull - I'm certain you have received the letters from them - maybe not since you are a very young member after reading you id number -.

I don't think this needs to go any farther - I'm off of my soap box now -

Respectfully,

Mario

18. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Share stories - not glorify the badge. This is the point and the opinion. I shook my head at the glorification of the badge - not the story. His point would have caried the same weight without posting a pic of his gold badge.

Glad you liked seeing his badge.

19. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

No harm in being proud of membership and displaying the badge for those who are not currently members. It may in fact encourage others to join. Without the potential for getting out of tickets I'd be curious how many people would join? If anyone is truly doing this for the cause then why not just donate and expect nothing in return? Regardless, it's a worthwhile cause and it's up to them how they choose to encourage membership.

20. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    Mario,

I apologize if I snapped at your posting towards me, It's water under the bridge, cheers and best of luck to a fellow member.
    Regarding me being a young 11-99 member, you are correct. It has been 2 months. I have backed the badges for over 10 years. I was just never aware of the 11-99 foundation or I would have joined years ago.
    It is not the sort of thing that officers walk in to my shop and ask for me to join. But one finally did and backed it with paperwork and what the foundation was about. The sealed the deal.

cheers,
    Christopher

21. AJUFC

AJUFC Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2005
    Brea OC, Cali
    As a former LE officer... Showing the tin may work and it may not... Its all in your approach... If it is just shown and there is an expectation of being let off for that reason, it may come across as arrogance and piss the cop off and backfire.

I would say something like: "Sorry I was speeding officer... I wasn't paying attention... I respect you guys and what you do... I am even a lifetime member of your 11-99 foundation..." Then he/she may ask for your tin.

that way the cop doesn't think you speed all the time in hopes of not being cited because you're a donor...

FYI though: Some City cops and CHP have BAD blood... Citations have given out by the CHP to some City Cops... And most City cops don't think very highly of CHP officers... So be careful in how you tell a city cop about your membership to the CHP foundation... Not that you'll get a ticket out of spite... But when they don't like them... thier supporters will get NO slack. IMO

22. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I've similar things regarding the relationship between CHP & L.A. Sheriffs. Sounds like some good advice.

23. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Is there anything that will work for all cops? Does Krispy Creme donate and have a badge? :)

24. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Are you considering changing your gender and having a boob job?
    Can't think of anything else that might help you, short of a pro driving course