More selling price questions for my 348... | FerrariChat

More selling price questions for my 348...

Discussion in '348/355' started by 92_348ts, Mar 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 92_348ts

92_348ts Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2002
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #1 92_348ts, Mar 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK, I want to start out by venting. I took everyone's advise and listed my car on ebay. Seven days later...$36k high bid...I don't get it. I realize it's not summer yet, but $36k?.

I got dozens of e-mails reference my modifications. I knew in advance there would be some people who would not like the rear taillight treatment. I admit, you either love it or hate it. What amazed me was I got almost as much slack for the SF shields recessed into the fenders. What's not to like? I think they turned out great.

I understand there are purists out there that believe Ferraris should be left absolutely stock and I feel they are entitled to their opinion. I can understand if I would have put a wing on the car or painted flames down the side, but I feel that the modifications that were done were in good taste. Unique, but not over the top.

It wouldn't be that hard for me to convert the rear taillights back to the stock configuration. But is it worth the time and trouble? Would it make the car more marketable?

The car really is in great condition. I guess that's why I am so surprised I'm not getting any reasonable offers. Even though the 30k service was completed ten thousand miles ago, in all fairness, it should probably have another one in the next year or so. But even still, shouldn't the car be fetching somewhere in the high 40's to low 50's? I'm seeing other 348's that have NEVER had majors done selling in the 50's.

I know most of this post was just me venting, however I really would appreciate some imput/suggestions from all of you.

Thanks for the ear,
    Chris
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. david@montechristo.se

Sep 4, 2005
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dave Lillewarg
    In my opinion, the car looks stunning. I like the main lines of the body of the 348 and with small changes (the rear lights from the 355) the 348 looks even better. The original wheels of the 348 is not my favourite and the ones you have chosen gives the car a more distinct look, maybe because it's black.

For all the ones that keeps on nagging about the originality of the looks of the 348, then look somewhere else. Don't get bothered about that.

With the major service to be done, you should at least get between $40 - $45 for your car. Just wait a few more months. Warmer weather tends to wake the Ferrari hunger in every one!

3. Lagerlout

Lagerlout Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    West Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Mr. LL
    Your car looks superb.

Can you tell me what make the wheels are as they look exactly like the 348 Challenge/Competizione (Race) Wheels.

4. Michael Everson

Michael Everson Karting

Nov 5, 2005
    Norton, MA USA Earth
    Full Name:
    Michael Everson
    I would have bought your car in a heart beat if I had not just purchased one. You just need to find the right buyer at the right time. Try using a buy it now option. thats how I bought mine. If your price is fair it will sell. I love everything you did to your car. Looks awesome. My geuss is the color is the only thing holding you back. Most people buying 348s are probably first time buyers and want red. Just like me. Give E-bay another shot.

5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I agree with the other posts in reply to your thread. If you feel like the original wheels might add to the selling price try emailing Liebkid who just bought an immaculate looking 348 for around $52k. He is looking for the wheels you have and would probably work out a trade. Maybe swap wheels and tires and take about $1500 in addition (the stock wheels are selling pretty cheap). Win/win, maybe??? I think that collectorcartraderonline.com allows yuo to renew your ad until it sells for a total of like $50. That is another good avenue. I tried to sell a truck on Ebay once, and got offers up to about $300 below wholesale so I can feel your pain. Most people here see Ebay as an advertising tool and not really one that is fully successful in selling the car for the bid on the auction. You can contact the high bidder to see if they are interested in making a deal. I think the shields look great, but for some reason many buyers are leery of any modifications to a car. Have patience and you will get a good price for the car.
    BT

6. Janzen

Janzen Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Oklahoma/Texas
    Full Name:
    Janzen
    EBay is still a good way to go. Your buy it now price is reasonable. I'd relist it. It's all about timing.

I'd also recommend consigning the car with a local high end dealer who advertises on the internet. I think EBay sometimes get's serious tire kickers who want your car but are afraid to deal with a human seller or the auction process in general. They end up shopping your ad and then looking elsewhere for a car just like yours.

7. cossiemetro

cossiemetro Karting

Sep 4, 2005
    essex
    Full Name:
    tony
    looks stunning and the recessed shields are excellent

8. Ciao Bello 348

Ciao Bello 348 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2005
    The Garden State, US
    Full Name:
    John C
    My 348 has been on the market for a few months.. Cars like this dont sell in 10 mins unless youre giving it away. Thats just the way it is. I can make 5 calls right now and have mine sold in 2 mins for under $60,000. Im in no rush.. I want to sell it. I dont need to sell it.

Be Patient.

I saw your auction, btw.. Awesome car. Love black Ferrari's

9. liebkid

liebkid Karting

Mar 6, 2006
    Back to the water!
    Full Name:
    Darth Diggler
    Chris, I tried to PM you but your box is full so you cannot receive any more message, so, here goes here:

First of all stunning car you're selling!!! :) I just bought a 348 myself added on to my car collection. I don't buy any cars anymore that I do not intent to permanently keep and, only buy cars that are 100% stock. The car I bought has 5100 miles on it and the original previous owner put new tires on it religiously at 5000 miles, meaning I have 100 miles on the tires. You can look at the car and wheels on this post:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=135627572

Coincidently, I am looking into buying 18" wheels like the ones you have on your car WHILE I STRONGLY BELIEVE you may get more money for your car with original stock wheels on it. If you are interested, I'd like to offer doing a trade with you (you tell me your terms) for your wheels + tires in whatever condition they are for my wheels (in 100% showroom new condition + basically brand new tires).

Also I would STRONGLY recommend that (if you still have it) you put back on the original rear grill. Though, your car looks absolutely fantastic with the upgrade most people will prefer the car in its original form. If you decide to revert the car o its original rear end, I'll be glad to also make you an offer on the conversion kit should you want to sell it separately. I think the car with the stock wheels and tires in new condition plus the original tail lights should surely sell near the 50K region and unless you are in a hurry to sell, I'd stick to that price target as surely you will eventually find a buyer with good taste that will appreciate your car at that fair market price value.

Now, my advice (and this is only based on personal experience so your mileage may vary :) is to forget about eBay as your only marketing source. I doubt you'll get your money there or surefire buyers that are indeed serious about your car. Instead I'd (really) recommend you also try the AutoTrader / SportsTrader route... and being patient. Your car looks spectacular and people seriousely interested in a 348 will contact you for sure. I have consistently gotten the most money for cars I sold through publications than any online marketing ventures as my sole venue for advertising.

Michael
    [email protected]
    805-259-7381

10. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I sold my 328 on Ebay last October. I listed it twice with a fair "buy it now" and only had bids up to high 30k's or 40k. I figured I would give it one more try before I just put it away for the winter and tried again in the spring. But, this time someone clicked the "buy it now" a few days into the auction. I thought I could sell it, but was definitely surprised I got everything I was asking - especially in late October.
    So, don't get discouraged - it will sell. Just give it a little while. You're car is gorgeous. If I were looking for another sports car right now I would definitely be giving you a call.

11. 92_348ts

92_348ts Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2002
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the imput guys. I guess the lack of interst kind of knocked the wind out of my sails. Your right, timing is everything...I just need to learn to be patient.

LIEBKID-I have a couple guys that are interested in the car if I were to come up with some stock wheels and change the tail portion back to stock. Let me see how serious they are and I will get back with you in reference to a trade. Also, I just cleared out my mailbox, so you should be able to PM me now.

12. liebkid

liebkid Karting

Mar 6, 2006
    Back to the water!
    Full Name:
    Darth Diggler
    Hi Chris. I am firmly serious on your wheels and back tail portion. Whether you want to do a swap with my stock wheels and new tires or find a set more local to you it does not matter to me. Once I have your wheel set here I can easily sell my stock ones. I already have a couple people interested on them either way so I am good on that, regardless. I cannot PM you because now I get an error that tells me "I don't have permission to do it" (???) so I'll try emailing you or just lets talk on the phone whenever you want.

Michael

13. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    It may be location, but I sold my 308 for just about as much. Be patient and the right buyer will come along.

14. skyboltone

skyboltone Karting

Jan 16, 2006
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Dan Hall
    Chris:
    I just want throw in with the others about patience. Don't be changing that car back to original; that's wacko! The car is gorgeous and unique. Spring is just around the corner, you'll get what you need. If you changed it back to original now, it would look like a collision repair and you'd be in worse shape with the purists than you are now!

15. jmills

jmills Rookie

Mar 12, 2006
    New York
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Millastro
    I have been selling pre-owned Ferraris and other high-end car sport and classic cars for about 25 years and invariably, original stock cars always get the highest values and sell faster. It does matter that sellers have 10K stereo systems, 15K rims, or 20K in turbo upgrades in them. The car will not be worth more money in the car's targeted category selling market, only less. The value for pre-owned cars, including classics, antiques and specialty vehicles is always based on year, condition and miles. No more, no less. Whatever you have on it that is aftermarket can usually only downgrade the market value of the car and make the sale more particular and difficult.

Now, you seem to have a fine example of a good looking 348 no doubt. How ever, the non-stock wheels and specially the modified tail (that give the car somewhat of a kit-car look... sorry) will not in anyway make it easier for you to sell the car or add positively any value to it.

My suggestion is indeed that you revert the car to its original condition and, as a bonus if you want, include in the package the optional wheels and tail. Better yet, as you seem to already have at least one person on this thread interested in your wheels and tail, I would not hesitate in (doubling) cashing in by selling him separately those two items he wants to buy and then selling your car (all stock) and easily the selling price you are looking for as it seems quite fair to me.

Selling a modified Ferrari, no matter how stunning the non-factory visual upgrades will only make your life more difficult. Target your add-ons to someone that wants to buy them and target your 348 (stock) to anyone in the world that wants it as Enzo intended it to look like!

There's are my two cents on the matter :)

Giovanni

16. 92_348ts

92_348ts Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2002
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Chris
    LIEBKID-you have mail....

17. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    I back that statement all the way. I think originality sells better, specially on a black car which is that much more rare than the red ones. I personally like the taillights and see past that, but if I were a first time buyer, I would smell a red flag and wonder why the mods on a perfect Ferrari.

Good luck, with spring around the corner, it will go.

Stephane
    Scaledetails

18. BeachBum

BeachBum Formula 3

i picked up a set of 355 wheels for my 348, i was just getting ready to put them on, are you guys saying my car will be worth less after there on? thanks

19. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane

Not necessarily, I would think it would be worth more to the one who wants the 355 rims, and less for someone who wants the stock rims. I would definitely keep the stock ones in case you ever need to sell the car and sell the 355 rims seperately. At least the 355 wheels are in the same family, so that's a nice upgrade in my opinion.

Stephane
    scaledetails

20. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    beachbum,

i would say your car will be worth more because OEM 348 wheels are HEAVY and nobody wants them
    that's why they sell on ebay for $400 set (with free shipping) :) just to get them out of someone's garage

alot of guys are switching to the 355 wheels on their 348's

your car should handle better with 355 wheels

21. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Switching to the 355 wheels is a common upgrade for many 348 owners. I don't think you will get any extra for the car with them, but you may get a few extra dollars if you sell the car with both sets. I would recommend keeping the originals. I would not say everybody hates the stock wheels. I was also looking to switch to 355 wheels when I first got my car, but have grown to like the stock wheels now.
    BT

22. Animate

Animate Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    BC,Canada
    Chris:
    I wouldn't change a thing on your car. I like your wheels....and the 348 looks fantastic in black. Hang tight, a buyer will come along.