Meadowdale on Saturday - Pictures | FerrariChat

Meadowdale on Saturday - Pictures

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by adamr, Mar 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

What date would work for you? You can vote more than once:

1. May 20

2. May 27

3. Neither date

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Anyone (Bob, Andreas, etc) interested in getting together and walking the Meadowdale track out in Carpentersville? If we get some nice weekend weather this might be interesting. Anyway, I'm in need of an Fcar fix:)

2. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    That would be great, the last few times I posted doing this there was ZERO interest. Sometime mid to late May would be a good time to do this. They have opened a second parking area off Huntley road.

3. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
  4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    An event that gives me a chance to see my old buddy Campen again is worth going, regardless where. And Meadowdale has neat history and was the first "event" we did here (or that I was part of). Yes, would be nice to go there again for a walk and take some pics. Adamr, sorry I don't remember which one you were. The guy with the pickup truck?

I was thinking about Meadowdale the other day as I was reading an article in my slot car racing magazine where some guys built a track based on it. With the silo and all.

Frank, you're the history buff here, c'mon and join us and do a Pilota writeup. I'll help you keeping it under two pages...:)

5. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hey I'm game. Sounds like fun

6. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Yes, that's correct Andreas. Otherwise known as the photo platform;)

Previously, I was busy with work and unable to make it out to the gathering.

7. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes, this most Definiely does sound cool. I have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever about this Track, so it will be neat. And will be really nice to see Bob, too.

Too bad that they can't fix it up and open it up again. But with the NIMBY attitude of today, will never happen....

The closest Track that I know of now, and visit, is Sycamore Speedway out in Sycamore,Il. But, with the constant Cancer of Suburban Sprawl looking like it will never end. Sycamore is destined to be just another Chicago Suburb in no time. (And there will still be the genuises that live out there and work downtown that clog our roads every single day.....)

They are trying to close down Byron Dragway right now for that same exact reason! What a bunch of Bollocks!

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Great, we got 4 Ferraris. So we need the photo truck again. :) And some coolers with beer,err sodas and lawn chairs. This time I'll get there by GPS navigation. :)

9. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Is this track still fully intact?

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #10 tifosi12, Mar 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Think Mayan ruins in the middle of a Guatemala jungle.

No, it is all gone. There is a nice park sign and behind it are trees and shrubbery. The track surface is gone, but the track is "visible" by the path leading through the forest. Some concrete bits and pieces are left including its famous silo. So you can tour some of its track and reminisce about the glory days of racing. At some point even Ferraris raced there.

Consider it a walk in the park with your nostalgic racing buddies. :)

Here a shot from our last gathering:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    The best part of pavement left is "little Monza" a banked turn at the end of the main straight , alot of other pavement left from the main and back straights. Their website shows what is left. There is a picture of Zora Duntov driving a Ferrari at Meadowdale Won't see that in a lot of race track sites.

12. J Saber

J Saber Karting

Mar 4, 2006
    Gurnee, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Jay Morris
    Hey guys, long time no see. I think my Mondial may want to go...been awhile since she has been out on a date. Count me in. As I recall I had to work the last time I wanted to attend.

Jay

13. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    The Dino could use a little exercise, and the "track" is only 15 minutes from my house. I'll pop over.

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Welcome to FChat!

Did we meet with our cars one day at Bahai temple?

15. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Andreas--

Is that your car on the left with, dare I say, the top off?! It looks pretty slick.

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yes it is. Thanks. I have a love/hate relationship with the roof: Personally (and I realize I'm probably the only person in the world who feels that way) I prefer closed cars, so I never take the top off and prefer the GTB look, but once in a while it does look good topless.

17. J Saber

J Saber Karting

Mar 4, 2006
    Gurnee, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Jay Morris
    Yes Andreas, it's me. It's been awhile. I'm excited about this upcoming season. It's gonna' be a ride to remember.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Awesome!

I have often wondered what happened to you and your great car. Glad to hear you both are around (and I hope your lovely wife is doing fine too).

Since you found FChat, hopefully we'll stay in touch now more regularly. There are lots of events going on.

PS: I still have a pic of your car hanging on my "wall of fame" at home. :)

19. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Would Saturday, March 25th, be a good day to do this? Or do you guys think we should wait until sometime in April when it may be a bit warmer?

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'd wait for a warmer/more predictable month. Actually thinking more of April or May.

21. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Sounds good.

22. J Saber

J Saber Karting

Mar 4, 2006
    Gurnee, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Jay Morris
    Well, I don't think I'll be ready for the 25th. I'd like to think so, but I'm getting some work done to get ready for this upcoming season. I should be done by April Fool's Day if all goes as planned.

23. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Yeah, having it snow wouldn't be good.

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #24 tifosi12, Mar 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    How does that sound? With an alternate day in case of bad weather on the 27th? The rationale is it should be mid May and the weekend before that, FCA organizes a drive.

Participants:
    Daryl 246
    Adam camera truck
    Bob 308
    Jay Mondial
    Andreas 308
    Rick Daytona
    Frank 308

You guys ok with May 20th? Say 2pm in the afternoon at the track?

I can do a little writeup for Pilota and for those interested in the FOC Gumball trophy, this would count as an event. But I don't want to "overpower" this nice gathering of friends by hijacking it into an official event. :)

PS: Attached is a pic I lifted off their website. Shows some unidentified Ferraris at the track in 1958. For more info go to: http://www.miroldpix1.homestead.com/58oldpix.html
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    Works for me