What's up with Vanquish prices vs. 550/575? | FerrariChat

What's up with Vanquish prices vs. 550/575?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by zjpj, Feb 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Vanquish prices seem to hover above the 200K mark - even as high as like $225,000 with several thousand miles (asking price, of course.) With 550s dropping to $130 or less, why are Vanquish prices still so high? What do they actually trade at? Is it just rarity?

2. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    I believe it is rarity mostly and truth be told it is a better looking car.

3. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Vanquishes are also newer and produced in far fewer numbers. Compare a 2002 550 to a 2002 Vanquish, you will find the actual sales price to differ by about 10-15%.

I considered a Vanquish instead of the 550, but that tranny scares me. It makes a GLORIOUS noise, though. But it's a real toss-up. Exterior: Vanquish. Interior: 550, no contest. (Vanquish interior looks like a glossed up DB7, which has more parts from my mom's XK8 than I can to share).

If you had a 6sp Vanquish, sans the Jag/Ford/Volvo bits, you'd have a BRILLIANT car.

--Dan

4. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Dan,
    what bits are you referring to? There are no common parts in any of the visible areas. The Jags and Astons only share those items which the intended consumer would never see, such as the windshield washer bottle.

And it's a great looking interior...what don't you like?

:)

5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    All of the center console (well, half of it) is jag. The stereo, air conditioner, window and mirror controls, all of that. Even the key is the same.

Also, that center console doesn't sit right. Plus, the 2+2 looks better but is completely useless. The 2+0 makes sense, but there's no continuity. You need to have the luggage there just to keep it looking ok. THe way the console ends abuptly, etc.

Mechanicals are a whole different story. I'm focusing on, as you put it, the bits you can see.

--Dan

Edit: I should say this. The guages, seats and headliner (quilted) are awesome!

6. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Here's the XK8 and Vanquish interiors:

7. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    No dude, Aston Martin took pains to point out that there are no common components. The mirror, window, door, stereo and air conditioning controls are different. As is the center console.

8. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Look at the center console (my mom has a different stereo than the one pictured which is almost exactly the same as the Vanquish). The Stereo, the air con unit, the odometer reset buttons, the gas / trunk release, the window controls, the vents, the lights / wipers stalks...that's all I see in those two pictures.

--Dan

9. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I'm telling you. You've been int he Jag. Next time you come over or I do, I'll bring that car and you can see for yourself.

--Dan

10. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

:)

doody.

11. CCarlisi

CCarlisi Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #11 CCarlisi, Feb 23, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Grow up, not old, as clearly that hasn't helped the maturity (and I *know* Mrs. Doody agrees ;) ).

Anyways, I think tomorrow we're gonna take the Jag down to the Aston dealer to compare. I went over it on the phone and pointed out other Astons... I'm right. Nah nah nah nah.

--Dan

13. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Bah, I think he's right. We're gonna go check it out tomorrow, and the proof will be in the pudding.

For those in the San Francisco area, Los Gatos Brewing Company in Los Gatos has the absolute best creme brulee I have ever tasted. Dan, you're buying!

14. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    For you to eat crow? Well worth it... :D

--Dan

15. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I just noticed: the exterior and interior door handles are the same also.

--Dan

16. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Wrong again!!!! They're different. Just cuz.

17. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I'm not sure why the tranny scares you. Paddle shifting is the way that manual transmissions will be offered in the future by any high end exotic maker. The F1 in the 575 is simply superb and the Vanquish uses basically the same software so I'm sure it works as well given the huge HP and torque it has.

Personally I find the Vanquish a little broad in the beam and not very lithe looking. I think the upcoming DB9 will be more representative of the beauty that is AM.

In Scottsdale the asking prices for similar mileage Vanquishes and 575's is similar. I'm mystified by the depreciation in 550's as they are great cars and relatively trouble free daily drivers.

18. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the price question is simply due to numbers. far more 550/575 out there than vanquishes. and further in its favor, the vanquish will alwys be known as bond's car. never mind that the ferrari is a better overall package.

btw, was at a dinner with the head of development at aston about a year ago, and when he was repeatedly pressed about the tranny, he did say that if you special ordered from new, they would be able to fit a manual instead of the herky-jerky paddle game.

19. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Maybe because Clarkson is his review said it was horrid - well, what paddle shifter has he liked? Don't go by what he says.

20. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    I don't know about US pricing, but around here, a base Vanquish is 30% more expensive than a Maranello. Make that 50 if you get carried away with options. This explains with rarity could explain the difference.

The exhaust sound is indeed superb (comes 'optional' on 550/575s with Tubis), but the car is much less of a beast to tame than a Maranello. I think the car has presence, but the rear treatment does not work, the DB9 is much more elegant IMO.

A final comment: advertised resale prices are not what the cars sell for, it's what they haven't sold yet for ...

21. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Alex: I'm not a fan of seqential systems in general. Personal preference. Plus, Aston is not the paragon of QA. Personally, the AM V8 will be the real looker of the group. Vanquish lines, but much smaller and tighter, and a bit edgier to boot.

--Dan

22. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    #22 ghost, Feb 24, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good to know, because I haven't seen a single one without the paddle-shifter. Was starting to think it didn't make the Vanquish in manual.

Dan, you're absolutely right: the AMV8 will be a phenomenal car. It's a beaut to look at!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Vik: As Alex is well aware, the AM V8 is designed by the man who created the single best BMW as of yet: the Z8. Henrik Fisker poured his heart and soul into that car and it shows.

With him at the styling helm of AML, and Ian McCallum not far away, it's no wonder they're goign to be producing the hottest looking cars around. Aesthetics alone, no manufacturer is comign close.

--Dan

24. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Amen brother!

Henrik Fisker will come to be known as the most talented of designers and I still get more positive comments on my Z8 than the rest of my stable combined.

I personally will be right in front of the line for the AM V8.

25. Vantage

Vantage Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    Hi, first post.

It may be of worthy note that Aston has skipped the paddle-shifters for the DB9. Your options are 6-speed automatic or 6-speed manual later this summer. They did not get positive feedback from customers apparently. This decision may have been based on the fact that the DB9 is a grand tourer at heart. I suppose the real telling matter as to whether or not Aston will be sticking to paddle-shifters in the future, is what they offer for the AMV8. When chatting with AM North America, I have insisted that they offer it. They told me 380hp to start. Anyone heard anything else?

- J

PS: Sorry for briefly making this astonchat.com ;)