$100k per year, is it what it used to be? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

$100k per year, is it what it used to be?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by NSX_Dreamer, Mar 16, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Well, not F40's, but I'm sure in the Midwest you can swing a home and a 308 or GT4, Mondial, 400i, etc. on less than $100k.

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    My roommates and I all have individual leases. We pay $15/mo extra on top of our rent so that if one of us doesn't pay rent, they can't come after us. They can only go after the guy who didn't pay. Plus, you can rent a garage for $60/mo. The actual rental rate for each room is $380/mo. That's for a 12 month lease. We all decided on a 9 month lease since we weren't going to be there for summer so they increased it by 15% (so raises to $437) for 9 months. Add $15/mo individual lease and it comes to $452/mo. You shouldn't have to worry about vandalism. Some guy parks his brand new M5 outside and he hasn't had any problem. I always have my car under car cover in front of my place and no one has messed with it.

Take home 50K would probably be closer to 80K gross and not 100K. Don't know why you plan to pay that much in taxes.

Edit: I'm also not saying one should do this in order to buy a Ferrari. I was just showing these numbers to Mr. Payne that you could live on very little and save in order to buy a house for almost all cash in a short period of time. Buying a Ferrari while doing this will kind of ruin the plan of buying a house asap.

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Truth there. I know many people who are doing exactly that.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm still trying to figure out the 2nd half of my life, but I survived my twenties and have this advice in order of priority…

1) Whether you make $5 an hour or $120k a year, set a percentage away for retirement savings and stick to it. Even in emergencies, don't be tempted to touch it, just have frame of mind that from the first $1 you make out of school until you retire at least 5% will be put away for retirement savings. It gives you a good peace of mind and the entire trick to large savings is starting early and the compounding.

2) Be flexible and intelligently daring with your career during the 20's. If something is dead end, then don't be afraid to take a step back in order to take two steps forward. You will also go farther and be better off to do what you like, not what you are forced to do.

3) Have fun, the 20's are often the last decade before you get settled down with family, work, and your body can take the "fun". Travel, party, and do other activities until you WANT to settle down. No regrets.

4) Don't think of your job as only source of income. Use your day job to pay the bills and explore other opportunities on the side. I did well a year out of college buying a 2 bedroom split plan condo. I rented one side out for what my entire mortgage was. The high real estate prices make rentals not as attractive, but still an option. Volunteer on the weekends doing something you love, but also that might provide opportunities. Volunteer working crew for a race team, join a band, take classes in something different, etc…

5) A Ferrari is more affordable than you think! I bought mine when 26, survey says 99.99% thought that was a dumb move. Well, the 00.01% was right! I could sell it for within a couple thousand of what I paid, the maintenance costs haven't been too bad, and I've met 100's of great people. All that while having FUN!

5. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Can swing, perhaps yes. but that may mean a pretty big compromise on housing. never said it can't be done, I just think when most are faced with the decision, most choose home first. once you have a home your happy with, then a ferrari. that can mean different things to different people. and may mean different things to same person at 25 vs 35 vs 45.

As for F40's I'm just a regular working stiff. went to state schools. no family money. same as most 308 / gt4 / mondial owners. just offering perspective from my experience. not saying I'm right...

6. Buffarino

Buffarino Guest

Yep, if you're patient and smart with your money, it's still definitely attainable. Most people aren't patient and smart with their money, though.

7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I think you're right: it's smartest to get the home first. If I wasn't married though, man, I'd be that guy in a 500 sq ft apartment driving a 6.0 Diablo!!

As for the state schools, well, medicine and dental are the professions that are not as pedigree-oriented and AFAIK you can make as much out of Missouri as Stanford. I suppose unless you wanted to be a researcher, there's no *reason* to go private, unlike law or MBA programs.

8. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Totally agree. I'd still like to have my kid wear a crimson sweatshirt though, regardless of what they want to do...

9. CalGTS

CalGTS Karting

Jan 18, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Leigh
    I'll tell you, £100k GBP really doesnt get you very far in London.

Not when your income tax is £40k and your rent is £15k plus etc etc

ahhh deppressing

10. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    I have had sevral millionaires, (you know the old boring guy in the corner of the room at all the shin-wags, that has on khakis that don't fit just right and he doesn't care guy) that have told me the two most important things to building wealth, real wealth, are these............

1.) NEVER use credit cards, if you can't pay cash you can't afford it.

2.) NEVER have a car payment, outside of a house, cars are the single largest purchase (most) people make. if you are spending that much money on something that on avg loses 60% of it value in the first 4 years it's insane, how many of you would invest in a stock that will would be garanteed to lose 60% over 4 years, sounds nuts right, but how many americans to just this when buying cars.

11. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If you netted a hundred grand last year you don't qualify for a Roth. Max income is 95K single and 150K married. By the way I would fire my advisor if all he was putting me in was IRAs at your age with your relativly high income and relatively low mortgage I would be divirsifying my ass off...stocks, commodities, foreign money, mutual funds AND an IRA or 401K or both. Fire your advisor and get someone who knows what he/she is doing.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I agree with this, but also reason the flip side that time is valuable. Think about allocating money according to the time you spend. Most people spend the most time at their house and specifically their bed. I have one of the best beds you can buy and justified as I spend about 8 hours and 3 minutes there every day! I also spend much time in my cars, 90-110 minutes of commuting during week days, errands, and then trips. The bad habit about saving everything is you never spend, you will die and your kids will buy the Ferrari, vacation house, and jewelry. HELL 2 DA NO!

13. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I like my grandad's old motto. Ain't gonna be no U-Haul behind my hearse!
    From the people I know, large inheritance creates more problems than it fixes.

14. Hessian

Hessian Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan S.
    3 minutes? I hope that's the snooze button.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    2 minutes of it are. :D

16. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That is the most financially prudent answer, but not necessarily the right answer for everyone. In my personal life, there is a fine line that I try to walk between enjoying experiences (whether they be in nice cars, trips, etc) and making wise financial decisions. I'm 28 years old and make sure that my wife and I put a minimum of 15% of our pretax dollars into retirement accounts. We own a comfortable home that we are happy with, but I also allow myself to indulge in vehicles because that is something that I am passionate about. I know that I could put that money into retirement accounts, but that's not how I choose to allocate all of my money. I personally believe it's important for me to enjoy life all the way through, not just in the latter stages. This is just what works for me personally though. I'm not suggesting that this is the best plan for everyone.

17. silk32

silk32 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2005
    ASS MASS N.Attleboro
    Full Name:
    matt
    last year was a big year for me (car purchases/home purchase). I kept it reasonable. I purchased my parents house in mass before any fcarz. i'm single no kids/pets.it depends on where you live. $500K doesn't get you that much up here in the north east anymore.