Drove my Viper yesterday | FerrariChat

Drove my Viper yesterday

Discussion in 'North Midwest - USA (ND, SD, MN, IA, WI, IL)' started by mikesufka, Mar 19, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Hi Gentleman -

This is my first time posting, as I just found the website. I've loved cars since I was a little kid. The first "hot car" I drove was my dad's 1980 Mazda RX-7. My first "fast car" was a 1990 Mustang GT, which I owned in the mid to late 90's. I didn't own a sports car for a few years and then, last summer, I traded in my Bourget Chopper on a 2001 Dodge Viper RT/10 in sapphire blue.

Anyway, skipping forward to yesterday, I drove up to my cabin and got my Viper out of the garage. Thankfully, the snow is almost gone. Took a quick 15 mile sprint to my favorite bar and restaurant on the Whitefish Chain (Moonlight Bay), north of Brainerd, MN. Great to be in the car again.

Does anyone know if there are any gatherings for 2006? I'd love to see some Ferraris and maybe get a ride in one.

Thanks.

Mike Sufka
    St. Cloud, MN

2. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hello Mike..There is Wheels of Italy in St. Paul..I am not sure of the date right now though! Welcome to the board..Iam new here as well...Enjoy your car..and when you are in The dakotas stop in...

3. Transition

Transition Rookie

May 8, 2004
    Hey Mike - any relation to Ray Sufka?

4. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Welcome Mike. You should get to Road America in July for the BRIC event. You will see everything from Muscle Cars to Ferraris to Porsches to amazing Vintage Race Cars. A great event for the family too.

Best,

Mike

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I'm sure a lot of you know, but the Ferrari Challenge weekend and BRIC are back to back this year.

My wife and I are heading down friday of the Challenge and staying through the BRIC... something like 10-12 days. Can't wait!

If you want to stay where the action is check out the Victorian Village and th Osthoff. Usualy they are booked up but if you call now you might be able to find something or get on the waiting list and if you're lucky you'll get a spot.

Kohler, Sheboygan, and Fondy aren't too far away, but after a couple of drinks it's nice to be able to walk home for the night =)

BTW, what's a Viper like as a daily/regularly used driver?

6. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill

Do you even have to ask??? ;-)

7. mj1133

mj1133 Rookie

Mar 1, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    MJ
    Have any pics?

8. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister

Yes =)

I sure it's kick in the ass fun all day long, but I was thinking more along the lines everyday comfort aspects of the car.

I've got enough loud, rough cars... plus I'm getting older =)

9. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Transition - I don't know any Ray Sufka. Where is he located at?

Can someone explain the BRIC event? Where is it at?

I don't think the Viper would make a very good "daily car". It's quite small inside and "rough" to say the least. I just use mine to commute about an hour or so north to my cabin. On the highway or on back roads, it's a blast. Something I had to try for awhile. The acceleration is brutal. Also, it feels a lot "bigger" when I take the roof off.

Thanks,

Mike

10. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    BRIC is in the middle of July at Road America, Elkhart Lake, WI

http://www.roadamerica.com/2006/races_bric.htm

Friday night is the race car show on the downtown streets of Elkhart & Saturday is the show for Sports cars. Both nights are fantastic.

Overall it's just a great event and a lot of great cars and people.

11. TBell

TBell Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Appleton WI
    Full Name:
    Tom Bell
    Look for us, we will be the 5-6 NSX group! A buddy of mine usually bring out his 288 GTO those weeks too. Friday night at the BRIC in downtown Elkart Lake looking at rare sports cars, drinking some martini's, man every year I think I died and am in heaven. Also at the track, where else can you see F1 cars going wheel to wheel with Champcars!!!!! Or all of the old IMSA GTP cars etc etc. Truely worth the trip from any neighboring state to WI to attend.

12. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister

Is that the 288 I see there every year that came out of Germany (a museum) or something like that?

13. TBell

TBell Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Appleton WI
    Full Name:
    Tom Bell
    It is a German 288GTO, and the plates are (WI) 288 GTO