Removing the rear wheel well on a 328 GTB | FerrariChat

Removing the rear wheel well on a 328 GTB

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by enzoformenh, Mar 20, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enzoformenh

enzoformenh Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    NH
    Full Name:
    Mike F
    #1 enzoformenh, Mar 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a leaking fuel pump and needed to remove the rear wheel well (driver's side) to get a better look at what was going on. I couldn't get the wheel well out without bending a clip on the top rear of the wheel well. I removed all of the screws and tried every possible way to get it out. I hated having to bend the clip, was there another way of removing it?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Usually you can rotate the liner towards the front of the car & down to remove it. You have to push the the lower front lip of the liner inwards a bit & lift it over the wheel well lip to do this.

Kind of a 'feel' thing.

3. enzoformenh

Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    NH
    Full Name:
    Mike F
    I tried but couldn't get the lip on the lower left side out from behind the inside of the fender. I probably just didn't push hard enough. I was afraid of breaking off that bottom piece of fiberglass. I was a little nervous, this is my first Ferrari. I haven't even driven it yet and here I am tearing it apart. The car only had 3,000 miles on it when I bought it 2 months ago and other than running it in the driveway it hasn't been on the road. I just hope I can bend that clip back without it breaking when I re-install the wheel well. Not sure why the fuel pump started leaking but that is a topic for another post.

4. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Mike, Verrell is right. Wiggle it a bit and it will rotate forward.

In case you haven't already, replace the fuel filter and consider the fuel-pump-to-accumulator hose also.

:) Carl

5. enzoformenh

Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    NH
    Full Name:
    Mike F
    Thanks guys. I guess I should have tried a little harder. I just hope that the clip doesn't break when I bend it back. Wish me luck.

The fuel filter is brand new so I'm all set there.
    Do you know what the part numbers are for the fuel pump, and the copper piece that connects the fuel pump to the accumulator? My car is an 89 328 GTB.

Mike

6. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    I've had mine out 3 or 4 times and thats what I do, have not needed to bend any clips.

7. 328GTB

328GTB Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Mike, I am confused. The fuel pump is not behind the panel you point at.

8. KurtK328

KurtK328 Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2001
    Villeneuve-Loubet, France
    Full Name:
    Kurt Kjelgaard
    As far as I remember, the black hose to left from the bottom of the fueltank goes to the pump.
    Most fuel things are in the front, to the right (seen from the rear) and on top of the engine. There is no dedicated fuel items behind the wheel well panel you are working on - unless you have a spare fuel canister in the boot :)

9. enzoformenh

Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    NH
    Full Name:
    Mike F
    You are correct the fuel pump is on the bottom left of the wheel well. I was told to remove the wheel well to get better access to the fuel filter and fuel pump hoses. Basically I removed it to get a better idea of what was going on.

10. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    The BOSCH p#s are:
    Electric fuel pump, gasoline 0580254947
    Fuel accumulator 0438170004
    Fuel filter, Jetronic (F 5601) 0450905601

BTW, AutoZone & PepBoys should have the fuel filter for about $15. It won't be a BOSCH, but will be identical to it. A rathar interesting fact is that the mfg location. stamped in the same location on all the brands suppying that filter, including BOSCH has been 'Israel' in the same font & size for the last 10 years or so.

You shouldn't need to replace the hard line between the filter & accumulator unless you damaged it getting it off. It s/b available from Ferrari.uk.

You should replace the fuel line between the gas tank & the pump. A Gates White Stripe or NAPA Weatherhead 5/8" fuel hose works fine. See:

308 QV: Fuel Tank to Accumulator Hose
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/112/323118.html

11. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    I think that's NLA now so be careful with the one you have!

I.

12. KurtK328

KurtK328 Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2001
    Villeneuve-Loubet, France
    Full Name:
    Kurt Kjelgaard
    No need to remove the wheel well panel you are showing - nothing interesting fuelwise behind that.