Jesse James and my old car: The monster garage 308 pasta car | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Jesse James and my old car: The monster garage 308 pasta car

Discussion in '308/328' started by sue308, Feb 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  2. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    That show was horrible. Absolut waste. Its time they hung it up.

3. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    When you sleep with pigs...

4. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    Some of you people have to realize that this episide of monster garage was not meant to be a restoration show, it is supposed to be to be outrageous. I met Jesse At the F1 Canada when he ran in the challenge there (a great guy!!) and he is into these cars. but with him being the rebel he is he knows that the show would have no punch if he did this to a Fiat. plus the fact that this car was already damaged and had almost 100k on it, its next stop was probably Ted Rutlands to be cut up for parts. It got me and my friends to watch and it seems to work on a lot of you as well. how many of you watched for the first time? its all about ratings.

5. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    outrageous would have been installing a blown 427 engine (or something similar), STUPID is installing a pasta maker......

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Exactly.

This might be a bit of blasphemy to say, but I'm really more upset about the waste of resources (money and labor) than about the 308. The car was 15k, but given what a Ferrari mechanic hour costs me at the shop they wasted the equivalent of 50k (and 50k is probably even conservative).

Now imagine what this 308 or any Ferrari for that matter could have gotten in upgrades for 50k? Easily a new engine. Heck even a V12 installed. Anything, yet they choose to spend all that time on a kitchen appliance (welding something together you could buy off the shelf). So to me it is not about shock value, but lack of imagination. The whole concept simply wasn't clever enough.

7. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Or lack of search engine.

They were victims of their "Italian" theme: they got a professional industrial pasta maker as an advisor from Italy trying to down-size an industrial unit, not a computer geek that could have told them to look on e/bay for a camper or boat galley sized pasta maker that's already been engineered -- heck, with a little googling, they probably could have found one that would have plugged into the cigarette lighter.

I still think they should'a used the engine heat to cook the pasta. :p
    (A 308 standing still in LA?: no-a problem-a wid enough-a heat.) :D
    (My whole engine compartment runs around 180F in the summer.
    Never carry ice cream home in the rear cargo bin. ;))

But maybe they were concerned for the car: knocking out the windscreen is superficial. As far as I could see, they did very little to the car that couldn't be easily undone.

8. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Duhhh. It was meant to be, if you'll pardon the expression, tongue-in-cheek.

I saw his ex wife on the show once after he was married to Bullock and I must say she actually seemed pretty reasonable and nice about the situation.
    I guess the money is right or maybe she's relieved.

Bob S.

9. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yeah but it sure deeeeed get the attention now didn't it. Besides, that's pocket change in the budget for a show like that.

A question. I don't watch all the time and this time it was by total accident but when has this show ever done something really cool?

It reminds of how stupid Mythbusters has gotten. I thought their show on the escape from Alcatraz was very good but these days yikes! Maybe they should merge with "The Monster".

Bob S.

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Trying to get the Panoz (?) airborne was pretty cool. And they managed. I also like the Miata Jetski idea (although I hated the fact that they didn't fix the obvious problem and try again, but instead blew it up again just for shock value). Without much imagination I can think of a bunch of more interesting topics for this car. One call to Norwood would have done it...

In regards to Mythbusters: I love the fact that somebody is going after all these myths, but not the way they often do it: Sometimes they don't try hard enough (similar to Monstergarage, one more tweak and it would have worked) and sometimes they keep going on when it is obvious that the myth has been busted (eg. the construction worker saving his life with a plank of wood, nott).

You're right on the money there. Besides I couldn't stand the guy, he was so full of himself and his pasta machine empire. It's an industrial machine, big friggin deal. Not art.

11. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    They'd need to change the belts every 100,000 noodles though.

Ken

12. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    yeah and only a matter of time before it started leaking....

13. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    An optomist.

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    How do you do maintenance on that mixer to begin with? Very hard to clean it after one run with those mixing blades in the way. I'm sure if they had used an off the shelf mixer that machine would have already solved the maintenance problem. But I guess I'm thinking here too much practical application and not show business razzamatazz.

15. DougS026

DougS026 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Doug S
    I agree. I've know Doug for a long time. He is a standup guy. He is very knowledgeable and practicable and does excellent work at his shop.

16. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    No problem; fill the sump with olive oil.

Ken

17. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    yeah Andreas, you're not thinking "MONSTER" enough!

18. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    The belts would be the really al-dente noodles. ;)

19. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That one's been done already. Great, well warped anyway, minds think alike.

20. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Jesse James in nothing but a Human Cartoon Character. And, I do mean Character...not sure about the Human part....:)

21. OnThinIce

OnThinIce Rookie

Mar 25, 2006
  22. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Man, I missed all these action here. I saw Jer on Saturdays' run. If I knew, I would asked him more questions. Noticed few DFW crews were posting earlier, too.

Where's Dave's photoshop??

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I got basically two questions:

1) What is going to happen with the car now?
    2) Why did they remove the engine cover?

24. Sideways

Sideways Karting

Dec 7, 2004
    I heard a rumor that Jesse will be serving spagetti at the next Monterey concourse. Any confirmations?

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    That would actually be wonderful. And a clash of culture, but if he pulls it off I'm actually rooting for him on this one.

PS: Cool moniker you got there. One of my fav movies of all times.