clutch slave cyl seals ? | FerrariChat

clutch slave cyl seals ?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by panterasteve, Mar 27, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. panterasteve

panterasteve Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    huddersfield
    Full Name:
    steve b
    #1 panterasteve, Mar 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    hello everyone from from cold and wet england,i have had a worn clutch on my 355 and on strip down need to replace the release bearing (throwout bearing) as the bearing was worn,i got the full kit including flange as my slave is on the original black seals,now i have 2 questions i have measured the old flange and its identical to my new one so why i have i wasted top money on something i dont need and secondly the slave came with the seals not fitted,theirs no instructions and they are obviously sided but which way do they go in and the striaght seal whats that for ,cant see it being much use as it never going to seal anything.your answers would be much appreciated as ferrari are as much use as a choclate fireguard.
    steve
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The large flat strip fits inside a groove in the clutch slave/throwout bearing. It doesn't seal anything, rather it acts as bearing surface so there is no metal to metal contact between the slave and and the support.

Brian

3. panterasteve

May 4, 2005
    huddersfield
    Full Name:
    steve b
    cheers brian ,that makes sense although ive never seen seals like these before, i figured the seals location of the ricambi site .i found them a bit difficult to go in at first ,so just soaked them in hot water to make them a bit more flexible and there now located, i now realised there are seals missing from the back of the new flange from the kit i bought!,more delays.

4. fmaderi

fmaderi Formula Junior

May 8, 2005
    clearwater Fla/NY
    Full Name:
    frank maderi
    if you have the old slave you should be able to figure it out . you could also refer to a parts diagram . prelube all seals before installing and slowly work the o-r in and around o-r= o-ring . when it comes time to put the bearing and the collar together expect it to go together very very snug . dont orget the pressure the seals have to hold back . i believe this is the same setup as the F1 t/o brg . use a small curved pick and replace one set of scrapers at a time . then do have a order. forza ps count the seals so you know if you missed any and i would also replace the small o-r that seal the unit to the tranny.there should been 3 for that and i believe 7 seals/scrapers for the slave. flush and bleed the clutch might be a good idea aswell

5. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    Steve,

Can you take a picture of the inside of the bearing where the seals go?

How many grooves are there?

Paul

6. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    #6 chaa, Mar 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Steve, you would have seen them seals before mate. When i posted up the pictures of my new Hills Slave cylinder only last month on this site. And on the other forum were i posted the how to;) Dont know if these pictures help ya any. The second large seal has a gap between the ends when fitted, and you can see the way the lip faces outwards.

7. panterasteve

May 4, 2005
    huddersfield
    Full Name:
    steve b
    cheers everyone ,got the seals fitted now, its a tight fit on to the flange and you have to be very careful sliding the slave cyl on to the flange to avoid damaging the seals..