F355 coil-on-plug conversion | Page 8 | FerrariChat

F355 coil-on-plug conversion

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jeffdavison, Oct 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    The MSD DIS-4 is not a computer, nowhere near being one. It's only an ignition amplifier box. The COP "system" just replaces the 2 stock coils with 8 coils sitting directly on the spark plugs eleminating the need for spark plug wires and delivering more spark per cylinder, besides the multi-spark for better combustion, the coils have more saturation time between firings to hold a larger charge before triggering. The MSD box goes inline between the stock OEM ECU and the coils. Requiring no sensors or any other engine inputs.
    The MSD box has it's own on-board diagnostics that can be read via a series of LED's mounted onthe side.

JD

2. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    Alex - I am happy you got as far as you did man...most would have just given up after it didnt work the first time. The fact that you wired it in behind the actual 355 coils and it still sputtered not just the COPs makes me think the unit is bad.

Anyway I will let everyone know how my little project goes when I start it AFTER my first track day of the year April 21-22. :) I dont want to screw up anything to bad before then!

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

Are these the NGK Iridiums previously mentioned in this thread? And they will work with the stock set up fine?

4. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    This is a bit off topic but...

I think it's true that some OEM ECUs are getting very fancy and the aftermarket falls short on some functions....but they are from "track only". In most all application the car will be more streetable with the aftermarket ECU than it was with the OEM stuff....but it takes time to get the engine tuned to 100%. Many peole get the engine running, maybe put it on a dyno and call it done. It takes a lot more than that to get ti right, but once it is right, it will run well under all conditions. All the ones I've ever messed with do anyway.

The OBD stuff just stores a code when something falls out of spec. That make the diagnosis simple I guess on a well charaterized system. The problem in aftermarket is that there is no way the ECU marker can really know what should trigger an alarm on any custom application. Instead they all give you the ability to plug in and see all the information real time or data log it to the ECU or computer. I agree it would be nice to know a senor is acting up even though the car is still running good, but I've found that if there is anything significant wrong it almost always shows up in the fuel mileage or power since everything fails rich or timing retarded as a rule.

I think a motec can do that, I know a haltech can do it. But I don't think either will let you run waste spark that way because there simley isn't enough information. I run 1 of the stock magnets and added 2 additional pins to the flywheel, then I added a cam sensor to get the infomation to allow sequentail injection and direct fire.

Do you mean write the code for the ECU or simply program the ECU for the engine?

They all let to program the ECU for the engine and make the process pretty straight forward and I've honestly never found anything I could make work or felt that it would be better if I could just tweak the code...not that I could anyway.

I think megasquirt is the only one that will let you write operating code for the ECU, but I'm not very impressed with what they can do.

5. AVMotorsport

AVMotorsport Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Alex V
    Yes, these are the same plugs mentioned earlier in the thread. They work great! They cost about 8-9 bucks a piece, a far cry to the $45/plug charged by the dealers on the OEM NGK platinums (this is true, though they cost around $15-20 elsewhere). The only thing is that if you wanted to use them with the spark plug cables (OEM or the Kingsborne) you will need to place the screw in tabs at the connector end of the plug, so it will connect properly with the spark plug boot. The NGK Iridiums of that spec did not come with those, and had skinnier threaded connectors instead. Worked with the COPs, though.

I got the tabs (for my lack of the proper term for these) from a Porsche tech friend of mine who just took these tabs off all the plugs he installs and tosses them. I couldn't find them as a separate item in the stores.

HTH.

Alex

6. superX

superX Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Cary, NC
    Full Name:
    Dennis Briddell
    ECU is configured by the installer, the programming is done by the SW engineers. Motec has a lot of built in diagnostic checking, and these errors are data logged automatically. You can also configure alarms on sensors, such as engine temp. You can then dedicate one of the digital outputs as an alarm lamp, which would drive a dash mounted LED if any of the sources cause an alarm. I have the oil pressure switch tied into a digital sensor. If the switch isn't on (i.e. <25lbs/in) then the secondary RPM limit is activated. I have this set for 2k rpm. Thats a great aspect of the motec, the SW was designed up front with the flexibility in mind.

7. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    The images of this conversion are missing, does anyone have a "how to" on the gsxr coil conversion??

8. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    check EACH page of the thread... they are still there...

9. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    This attachment is not working... post #4 and #8

10. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Every shot I had was reposted from page 2 onwards

11. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    You are the man!! I found everything on your post #36!!!

12. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    quick note, since this thread has re-surfaced....

read all the posts!.

While my conversion on my 355 is still running perfectly (abpout a year and a half already) another person had a misfire issue in a small rpm band on his install. Could bet the way he wired it, don't know if he use a twisted pair in the harness or not (to help eliminate crosfire and interference).

Again mine is still running 100% after a year and a half on both street and a few track days.

I couldn't be more happy.

JD

13. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Twisted pair vs side by side?? what is the way to go? there was an increase in engine smoothness right? BTW thanks for the quick responses!

14. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    BTW, wanted to thank Jeff for this thread as well. Though I did not go the COPS route, it was great tip to get those NGK Iridiums. I had an annoying miss, that was tracked down during my recent 15k minor service...during the last major service they did not install the foam plugs at then end of the cam covers...water was getting in! So, replaced the plugs and wires (new Kingsborne wires). Installed the proper foam plugs and all is well. BTW, the new Kingsborne wires use the original Beru connectors on each end, but the extensions now have three seals, instead of one like the oem wires, and they are 8mm instead of 7mm.

15. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    So the NGK's did the trick for you? What are the part #'s for the goodies you installed?

16. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

NGK's are CR7EIX but you need the threaded caps for them to work on the 355. Wires are from www.kingsborne.com Foam pieces come from our friend Daniel at Ricambi America...you will need new gaskets for the cam covers as well....

The miss I had was not caused by the plugs, but from water getting down inside the spark plug well. I had one very rusty looking spark plug.

17. stevesingo

stevesingo Rookie

Oct 3, 2006
    Have been reading this with great interest as I am doing a similar conversion on my 1990 BMW E30 M3 Sport Evo.

I too was looking at the Denso coils. What is the diamiter of the coil at the seal and in the area below the coil?

Thanks

Steve

18. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #193 f355spider, Nov 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Well my "miss" has been dramaticaly improved if not fixed!!!

The parts:

My plugs were only 3k miles old so I left them.

Several Techron treatments.

Kingsborne 8mm wires.

Two new "pre-cat" o2 sensors

And finally.....driving it more helped tremendously!!! :D

20. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Looks like Denso makes one that fits:
    http://www.densoiridium.com/find_part.php Look up under 355.

It even crosses over to the NGK PMR7A in their cross reference.

Hopefully they are even the correct length! ;)

21. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Has anyone gone down this road lately?

I have been thinking about this for a long time and am thinking about doing this as part of next winter project. However I have doubts about the DSI 4 for sale now, and searching the net there seems to be a lot more problems with the DIS4 PLUS then with the old DIS4. I am not even sure it will work as expected anymore…

Does anyone know of any similar products? I have read about people using the VW coil on plug devices with built in igniters with success but never seen it being used on a Ferrari.

http://home.comcast.net/~whaussmann/MS_woh/VW_1.8tCoilPacks_v3.htm

22. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
  23. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I think the right answer has always been that you NEED 2 DIS4 units. The right place to split the signal is the input, not the output.....I'm pretty sure.

24. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    What about the 8 channel AEM Twinn Fire? Wouldnt that work? I have tried to contact them but no answer yet...

25. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Yes and so would any other number of options like 8 bosch 1 channel ignition modules, 4 bosch 2 channel, or 2 bosch 4 channel.