A "Disorganized" Road Trip | FerrariChat

A "Disorganized" Road Trip

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Mr.Woolery, Mar 30, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr.Woolery

Mr.Woolery Rookie

Mar 30, 2006
    Whittier, CA
    Full Name:
    David Woolery
    Hi there, my name is David Woolery, and I have an Ariel Atom on order.
    I've been thinking about taking a road trip in the Atom next year after it gets registered. Basically a 2-week long trip from SoCal to the east coast and back, with stops in Atlanta, Deals Gap, etc. I figure that it would be, at the very least, an adventure to do a road trip like this in such an innappropriate car for the task.

That got me to thinking...would it be fun/practical to organize a sort of poor man's Player's Run/Gumball/Power Tour/Iron Butt/etc thing? Maybe I could spread the word and get a gaggle of interesting cars/people to take the road trip as a group...do some filming, take pics, write a bit about it. Maybe it'd be worth a magazine article or amatuer DVD release?

I figure I'd start a website, spread the word via the auto forums, establish a schedule, route, sign-up list, that sort of thing. Maybe get a few dozen cars or so to participate?

Target participants: Those with interesting cars (especially those "innappropriate" for road trip like sports cars, classics, rust buckets), party types, adventurers, etc.... "A road trip open to all misguided adventurers in cars inappropriate for the task...sports cars, exotics, classics, hot rods, motorcycles, and jalopies are welcome...RV's, campers, cars with camping trailers, SUV's, and the well prepared traveler need not apply."

Maybe only 1 or 2 really nice hotel stops for dinner/parties on each coast, otherwise it's motels/camping under the stars. Emphasis on the trip itself, not the destinations. Lots of partying, a little road foolery here and there, interesting stops in interesting places, etc. Maybe a stop or two along the trip at a track for whatever, if possible. Not a race, but maybe have some road games along the way (poker run day, Ironbutt stages, etc.)
    No entry fee to participate--but participants have to pay their own expenses on the trip.

So far, I've got a lot of interest on the Atom and Lotus forums about this, so was wondering what the interest would be from the Ferrari folks.

I'm thinking about doing this event sometime in during April or May 2007. I'm leaning towards late April-early May, but I'll need to do some weather almanac research to find when the "perfect" spring weather will be likely for the chosen route.

I figure the event would start and end at a Crystal Cove meet. Makes for a good send off/welcome back party...assuming that the run doesn't get too big to be comfortable for the CC Meet.

Initial planned route for the trip (without any research put into it):

(Eastbound):
    -Los Angeles/Orange County (Start at Crystal Cove Meet)
    -Las Vegas(?)
    -Dallas
    -Atlanta
    -Deals Gap, NC
    -Washington DC

(Westbound):
    -Washington DC (start)
    -Indianapolis
    -Chicago
    -Yellowstone National Park (possible)
    -Reno/Yosemite(?)
    -Los Angeles/OC (End at Crystal Cove meet two weeks later)

I'm open to any suggestions, too. The idea is not to overly organize this thing, either. I want to preserve the casual purity of the run. The only organization should be in the form of making reservations at the foofy places people choose to stay on the way, ensuring gas/food/lodging/campsite availability along the route, providing route maps w/ general times on the website for those who join along the way, Making the arrangments for the two parties (one in Washington, DC and the end of trip party in Newport Beach, CA) and activities planning (poker run stuff, etc). Easy things.

2. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Such a trip in an Atom boggles the mind! You'll not have more than one change of clothes...and will smell like sweat, exhaust and road tar for the duration. You'd better not count on too many fancy restaurants that aren't coupled with a hotel, shower and shopping trip for clothes! LOL

Sounds like fun though. My Europa is a perfect car for such foolishness as it's small, loud, smells like a real car, has a tendency to break and garners attention everywhere I go. Trips over 2 hours get really long, really fast. The only disqualifier is I have a fairly large trunk for a car so small.

Good luck and I'll follow you for an hour if you pass through Chicago!

ken

3. Mr.Woolery

Mr.Woolery Rookie

Mar 30, 2006
    Whittier, CA
    Full Name:
    David Woolery
    **Update**

Randy Chase (of www.elisetalk.com) has stepped forward to partner with me in making this event a reality. We've chosen a name for it as well: The Donut Run. It'll be a coast-to-coast adventure, with the "goal" to be to cross the United States to get a donut from the other side. ;D

We are currently working on securing a domain name, and will place a public website for the event soon after. We'll put up details about the run ASAP to allow interested participants plenty of time to plan ahead in securing vacation time, travel, shipping cars (if necessary), etc.

This is going to happen, folks!

4. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Cool. Keep us posted. It should take like...2 days or something?

Ken

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    April 2007? Sure, I'm in. Will a 100,000 mile Ferrari 328 with a pop-up tent trailer be impractical enough?

6. Mr.Woolery

Mr.Woolery Rookie

Mar 30, 2006
    Whittier, CA
    Full Name:
    David Woolery
    You, Sir, are EXACTLY the kind of adventurer we'd LOVE to have join us in the quest for the donut. :D

7. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Tillman found his tribe :p

8. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    What kinda dognuts we talkin' 'bout here? glazed with spinkles, chocolate, Krispy Kreme, what... I gotta no before I commit.

9. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Gotta be Krispy Kreme...preferably blueberry, apple, and raspberry jelly filled ones.

This trip sounds like a fantastic idea. Too often I think the average joe is priced out of events like these, or else his car isn't "prestigous" enough. Can't wait to see the website!

10. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    I'm only an hour or so from Deals Gap, so if you need info on that area let me know.

11. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

If you're coming through North Carolina, that ties PERFECTLY with the donut theme! Home of Krispey Kreme is just down the road (well, a few hours) from Deals Gap. Sounds like great fun!

12. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that Krispy Kreme is legally considered food. ;)

13. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    You're right, it is on a plane higher than any ordinary "food" could ever hope to attain!

14. kyleseyz

kyleseyz Karting

Jan 24, 2005
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    my roommate and I will hold down the teenage contingent in a totally stripped MR2 spyder with roll bar and racing seats, trust me, it's hard to drive the thing without earplugs

Also, I think this is an awesome idea, it really captures the feeling of what a cannonball run is supposed to be about, and the donuts are a great addition, nice call Mr Woolery :D

15. Mr.Woolery

Mr.Woolery Rookie

Mar 30, 2006
    Whittier, CA
    Full Name:
    David Woolery
    Initial site placeholder has been put up. Please keep an eye on the The Donut Run website (www.thedonutrun.com) to see the developments as they occur.

We are still in the very very early stages of planning at this point, too, so don't expect much yet. I'll try to nail down the dates within the next few days, and the route soon afterwards.

16. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    This sounds awesome....can't wait to hear more about it. If I may impart a bit of experience-based wisdom - I've done the drive between Phoenix and Atlanta too many times...

In my opinion, the "northern route" is preferable - especially for a drive like this (with cars like these) to the southern. That is, I-17 out of Phoenix north to Flagstaff, and then East on I-40. If you're doing LA --> Vegas, you could skip the Phoenix part and just pick up I-40 in the western part of northern Arizona. The "northern route" along I-40 towards the east coast takes you across northern Arizona (painted desert, petrified forest, Meteor Crater, AZ), into New Mexico where there's some gorgeous country, across the Texas panhandle (only major city being Amarillo). Be sure to stop at the "Texas Big Country Steak and Barbecue Barn" -- home of the "Ol' 96er"...you KNOW what that is! Next up is Oklahoma, and you'll pass through OK City, so you might stop at the Federal Building memorial in downtown...also somewhere along I-40 in the TX-OK area (probably TX) are those cars burried in the ground by their noses a la "Stonehenge" - you've surely seen pics of it before, so now you can see it in person! You'll also pass through Garth Brooks' hometown of Yukon, OK...just outside of OK City. Further east on I-40 comes Arkansas, and while it'll be nice to get back into country other than VERY FLAT for miles, AR wasn't my favorite state. However - at the AR/TN border on I-40, you'll be in Memphis! Graceland, baby! At that point, you'll have the choice of continuing on east towards Nashville (NashVegas!), or swinging southeast on some smaller roads through northern MS and down into Birmingham, AL. From there, it's due-east on I-20 right into Atlanta. Should you consider the Nashville route, it's only 4 hours or so north of the A-T-L, and there are some GREAT roads in between the two for your enjoyment.

The "southern route", on the other hand, (from Phoenix, AZ for reference) is I-10E out of PHX, south towards Tucson...snooze...At Tucson it turns east and heads through southern AZ and NM. There is *some* pretty country down there, but nothing compared to northern AZ. Halfway through NM, I-10 dips south into TX at El Paso....El Paso.....no comment... From there, it's Texas, Texas, and more Texas for what will feel like an eternity (at somepoint, I-10 will split and you'd take I-20...10 continues on further south all the way to Jacksonville, FL). When you hit Dallas, you'll be relieved to be almost through Texas! Only you won't be... From sun-up to sun-down, you'll have seen hardly a "scenic overlook" or landmark of note, and you'll only be in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area - with a LONG way yet to go. After Dallas, you'll have Lafayette, Louisiana to look forward to...not....(no disrespect to our LA members)...and then another days worth of driving between there and Atlanta through swamp country and southern MS up into Birmingham, AL.

Anyway, hope I wasn't too pushy....just take a look at a map and compare I-40 b/w Flagstaff, AZ and Memphis with I-10/I-20 b/w PHX and Birmingham. Consider "side trips" from each, and pick which route suits your needs best!

Aaron

17. Mr.Woolery

Mr.Woolery Rookie

Mar 30, 2006
    Whittier, CA
    Full Name:
    David Woolery
    Perfusion, THANK YOU for your input! We're still working out what the route should be, so your input is important at this stage. I was thinking of taking that route, but wasn't sure what to expect of it. I plan to ponder the route for a couple of weeks or so before setting one in concrete, so any other input will be greatly appreciated.

Just keep in mind that we only have 14 days for the run, which doesn't leave much time for dilly dallyin'! LOL

18. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    You are quite welcome!

19. Mr.Woolery

Mr.Woolery Rookie

Mar 30, 2006
    Whittier, CA
    Full Name:
    David Woolery
    Okay, the dates have been set for the run. Mark your calendars and make any arrangements for vacation... The Donut Run will take place on May 12-26, 2007!

Still working on the route...

20. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    For the working folks....

Would it be possible to catch up with you guys after you swing through Chicago and go back out west? I could look at getting a week off....

My dad has a 1970 Subaro 360....essentially this would be the epitomy of what this run is all about.

21. Mr.Woolery

Mr.Woolery Rookie

Mar 30, 2006
    Whittier, CA
    Full Name:
    David Woolery
    Those initial posted routes are still under consideration. We're still deciding what we'll be able to pull off in two weeks. I'd like to hit Chicago, but I'm not sure yet.

22. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    If I can get the time off work, I'm considering purchasing an early-70's Austin Mini (the *REAL* "Mini Cooper") for the drive... I think it'd be fun....possibly reliable, though unlikely, but definitely in keeping with the "spirit" of this drive.

Aaron

23. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Hmmm, maybe I'll sub an early X1/9 for the 328. Got the time off already.

24. Mr.Woolery

Mr.Woolery Rookie

Mar 30, 2006
    Whittier, CA
    Full Name:
    David Woolery
    Excellent to hear that you're planning to participate already! I'm still working on building website content, but as soon as I have a signup page, I'll let you know.

25. GabeH

GabeH Rookie

Apr 3, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI, US
    Full Name:
    Gabe
    This is an absolutely awesome idea!

Unfortunately, I don't currently own a car which fits the criteria. Hopefully there will be another one...