P0410 & P0102 96 F355 | FerrariChat

P0410 & P0102 96 F355

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Vitamin_J, Mar 31, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vitamin_J

Vitamin_J Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2006
    Got the car back tonight after a change of the alt. pulley & belt.

Check engine light comes on and the code reader pulls P0410 & P0102

P0410 - Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction

P0102 - Mass or Volume Circuit Low Input

The batter needed to be recharged after sitting dead in the shop for a long period of time. Could this throw one of the above?

Any thoughts on these?

2. racer

racer Karting
    Professional Ferrari Technician Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Ron
    No the battery wont set these codes. Check the fuses and the wire connectors at the secondary air vacumn valves in the passangers side rear quarter/bumper area they tend to over heat and short out. good luck

3. Vitamin_J

Vitamin_J Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2006
    Thanks, will do.

4. Vitamin_J

Vitamin_J Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2006
    Fuses check out. The car is running fine, I put about 10 miles on it. Does it makes sense to clear the codes and see if the reappear?

5. Vitamin_J

Vitamin_J Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2006
    I cleared the codes with the help of Daniel at Ricambi. Put about 20 miles on the car and it is running great. Should I treat the codes as a system fault turn a blind eye or is this worth further investigation?

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I'm not advocating a blind-eye whatsoever. Those codes came on for a legitimate reason. The value of clearing the codes is simply that the car is now back in your hands (no longer with a third-party), and you'll know exactly what has been touched, how it has been driven, and if/when the codes re-illuminate. In other words, you have cleared the canvas and can now begin proper diagnosis.

7. Vitamin_J

Vitamin_J Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2006
    I agreed, I am no fan of the method. Sine clearing the codes I have put about 50 miles on the car under three different drives. Still no codes.

At this point I am wait and see. Thanks for the reply.

8. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I had a similar thing happen recently. Intake/exhaust/clutch assembly were off the car... turned accessories on to test out an SD3, when it was back together it threw a bunch of codes I've never seen. Cleared them out and it's fine now after a few hundred miles. Think it was codes left over from when the car was turned on while in pieces.

-R

9. Vitamin_J

Vitamin_J Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2006
    Strangely enough, 1k miles and one month later, the codes are back. Same codes in the same order. Car is running great, however I am afraid to take it too far from home.

Any ideas on what these mean?

10. Vitamin_J

Vitamin_J Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2006
    Bump. No one has any ideas on the error codes?

11. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    I wonder if he ever found the cause of this bec I have p0410 now too

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Do you have a basic diagram of the Secondary Air system?

Try the basics... Clean the pump filter, listen for pump motor operation, check the pipes, make sure the electrical plugs are ok in the engine bay (far rear right hand side), etc. The solenoid valve which drives the shutoff valve has a blue plug. There is a relay and a fuse for the secondary air pump and solenoid valve in the passenger footwell. Check your handbook for fuse and relay location. Do you have 2.7 or 5.2 F355?

Beetle likes this.
  13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    For MAF code, try cleaning it with the MAF cleaner you buy at the autoparts store.
    For Secondary Air Injection system, check for
    1. vacuum leaks using a smoke test
    2. connectors tightness
    3. Wiring fault, or pins corrosion
    4. Vacuum switch

Beetle likes this.
  14. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    First thing to check is the fuse for the air pump. It is a known issue that Ferrari fused it too low. If your fuse is blown, the factory fix is to replace the fuse with one 5 amps higher (but no higher!).
    I have looked over at least five F355 fuse panels and all had the fuse uprated by 5 amps, from what is marked on the cover. I suspect they were all updated during the warranty period if the customer came in with a "check engine" light for a P0410 code.

Qavion likes this.
  15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Regarding vacuum. The black tank in the right hand rear corner of the car supplies vacuum to the Secondary Air Solenoid Valve and the Exhaust Bypass Valve Solenoid Valve. Have you noticed your exhaust sounds muted at high rpms?

Mitchell, I'm having trouble locating the vacuum switch in the manual. Do you know where it is located?

16. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Are you looking for the physical location on the car, or the representation in a schematic?

17. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    What does the switch control or provide feedback to? I can't seem to find it in any of the wiring diagrams.

18. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    It switches the vacuum to the bypass valve and actuates the valve to the open position. You should see that in the 2.7 diagram as well as a 5.2 diagram (if you had one). P1448 is a code that comes on when the bypass valve is not open when it is supposed to, or not closed when it is supposed to.

19. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have seen the metal tube that delivers air to the valves from the pump crack and split. Just follow the outlet from the air pump and you will find it. You will have to remove the airboxes to have a good look.

Or simply smoke test the system for leaks.

The pumps themselves fail also. If you are popping fuses, then the pump is more then likely the problem.

Qavion likes this.
  20. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #20 Qavion, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Thanks, Mitchell. Sorry, it seems we were calling the same devices different things. I was calling them solenoid valves. rather than vacuum switches.

I do have a 5.2 diagram ;)

21. puddas

puddas Rookie

Jan 31, 2011
    Has anyone got a picture of the fuse box please. Keep getting same codes 0410 and 1448 even with new thermocouple ecu. Wanna try the fuse myself !

22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  23. puddas

puddas Rookie

Jan 31, 2011
    Awesome. Thank you!