Elise/ Exige vs. 2006 Z06 | FerrariChat

Elise/ Exige vs. 2006 Z06

Discussion in 'British' started by 348 Turbo, Apr 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Yes, I know they are diferent animals, but the more I read about the Z06, the more of a bargain it would seem to be. Let's hear the pros and cons!

2. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    The Lotus should be more nimble just due to size and weight; probably more fun on twisties. The Corvette would be more comfortable for long distance highway fun.
    I got to sit in an Elise recently, and although I am not a big person, the cockpit felt snug and the seat was hard. The vette is more refined in terms of creature comforts.

Heck, just buy one of each!

3. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    The lotus' are hard core trackday type cars. Rough, but fun.

The Z06 is a refined brute. Tons of power, comfortable, creature comforts, can be driven civily.

the Lotus has none fo the above. But connects yer butt to the road like no other. You feel everything... but then again, you feel everything.

considerable prices difference between to the two also.

4. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    The ZO6 is definately better bang for your buck, not to mention its a much more comfortable ride. Depending on what you are using it for, the z06 would be much better as a daily driver as compared to the Elise/exige. If its a track car you are looking for, you would probably prefer the exige, as its more machine than comfort.

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'd vote for the Elise, but I'm 5'7"/small-framed and fit in it easily. I'm a fan of the "pure sports car" concept and I like the comparative rarity of the Lotus.

Corvettes are nice, just very common. But I agree with the above comments about everyday driveability - Elise/Exige would be torture for running errands, carrying lugagge, etc. It really is a third car. Chevy had the real world in mind with the Corvettes. Lotus didn't. My .02.

6. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    The Z06 is a daily driver. The Lotus a track car or weekend toy. I have a friend with an Elise that loves it to drive, but says he gets annoyed when he tries to drive it in traffic to work.

7. wheelhor

wheelhor Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2006
    Cheyenne, WY most of the year
    Full Name:
    Eric
    hummmm.
    Exiege or z06 with headers/exhaust. Both are amazing

E

8. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Thanks everyone fro sharing your thoughts.
    I've developed a new, unscientific way to "investigate" new cars. I simply go the their forums, and read the titles of the threads, for a few pages, (even more). It is an interesting way to get a feel for what the enthusiasts think about their cars. Just give it a try!
    The Corvette forum folks seem to be just crazy for their new Z06's.
    Let the flames begin.....

9. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    what do you want to do with the car?

10. Esprit

Esprit Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    CA
    Elise/Exige= $40K-$50K

'06 Z06 = $70K +

11. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    And that's why I would rather have the Lotus. As a second or third vehicle of course. :)

12. exhorse

exhorse Rookie

Nov 27, 2005
    Best part of NJ
    I own an Elise and truthfully, I wouldn't even consider a Corvette. Sure the 'Vette has big power but the car also has big weight. It weighs approximately 1500 pounds more than my Lotus. That's one thousand five hundred pounds. The power-to-weight ratio of the Lotus is nothing to write off. Believe me, the car is plenty quick enough and will out-handle anything out there, period. The car makes a 360 feel like a tank (seriously) and my old 308 like a relic. Mine has the sport suspension and even with that I think the car could be a daily driver. It just depends on what you want/expect from a car and what your idea of a pure sports car is. Personally, I was waiting patiently for Lotus to launch the Elise in the US and still can't believe it's here. Go drive one aggressively and you'll quickly see what I am talking about. It's like nothing else you've driven, guaranteed. Also, the Lotus is completely exotic in many ways (styling for one) where the 'Vette just isn't (sorry). They are both good cars for the money but I am a purist and the Lotus is my first choice!
    The Exige is an Elise with Sport Suspension and a front/rear spoiler. The body is slightly modified as well (front fender vents, rear hatch, grill opening size). Overall there really is no performance gain due to the fact that the Exige is heavier and produces more aerodynamic drag than the Elise. Therefore it is not quite as quick as the Elise and is slower at top speed. It will however, have an advantage over the Elise's high speed cornering due to the added downforce the aero bits generate but that's about it. For all intents and purposes they are the same car (same chassis, brakes, steering, suspension, gearbox, engine, wheels, tires, interior,etc.) with a slight trade-off for either one. The Elise is a better overall value as well.

13. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    The actual weight difference is closer to 1150 lbs.

My friend just picked up a leftover '05 Elise with the touring package. We're both scratching our heads that anyone would want a sport suspension car in NJ. Maybe you have the smooth NJ roads near you. :)

14. wheelhor

wheelhor Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2006
    Cheyenne, WY most of the year
    Full Name:
    Eric
    i think its a lot of personnal preference. I mean they are tottaly different cars. Exiege for me as stated before

E

15. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    Okay the first time I thought it was a typo - what the hell is going on with your spelling of Exige?

Also for exhorse who said the exige was slower on the top end better check your facts. It has a smoother airflow even with the higher downforce - and is capable of significantly higher top speeds.

16. Vibrant_5oh

Vibrant_5oh Karting

Apr 18, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    70k with markups and options maybe, but i'm sure base MSRP is closer to 64k.

17. yellow 355

yellow 355 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2005
    ocean city,nj
    Full Name:
    Ben Murphy
    I own a new EXIGE and a 360.....The zo6 would be my last choice of sports car for personal reasons....Chevy can make as fast as a f-16 I dont want to own it or drive or be seen in it....As far the comment on the Exige making the 360 feel like a tank.....PLEASE DRIVE THE 360 AT THE LIMIT AND COME BACK AND TELL ME IT FEELS LIKE A TANK EXHORSE!!!!! NO WAY BRO....

18. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    ricer

19. exhorse

exhorse Rookie

Nov 27, 2005
    Best part of NJ

Overall the roads in my area are great. I drove both the standard and Sport Package cars and feel that there isn't too much of a difference in ride quality. Certainly not enough to prevent me from ordering Sport Suspension.

20. exhorse

exhorse Rookie

Nov 27, 2005
    Best part of NJ
    Check for my PM..........

21. exhorse

exhorse Rookie

Nov 27, 2005
    Best part of NJ

You have no idea, do you?

22. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    you didn't know he was joking? John and Ben are friends.

23. exhorse

exhorse Rookie

Nov 27, 2005
    Best part of NJ
    Facts:
    The Exige tops out at 147, Elise 149
    The Exige 0-60 is 4.9, Elise 4.7
    I reiterate: the Exige is not as quick or fast as the Elise. It will however out perform it in HIGH SPEED TURNS due to the increased downforce generated by the aero bits. Look up the definition of 'significantly' while you're fact-finding..........I'd choose 'slightly' as in slightly slower, slightly less quick.

24. TexFerrari

TexFerrari Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Texas of course!
    The lotus will certainly get more looks/less common; however the z06 will kill it off and on any real track except for maybe the tightest courses/auto-x. Its not a highway cruiser, it a race bread machine that just happens to out comfort and simply out perform anything near twice its price. For it to weight 1500LBs more then the Lotus, the lotus would have to weigh 1500LBS. Good thing that is not true and that it has more then 2.7 times the power with less then 2 times the weight.

I give credit where its due, not just what I’d “rather” be seen in, like any real car enthusiast. It all depends on your intended use/driving style, and preferences in looks and exclusivity. The 360, 430, Elise, and Z06 all have their strong points in real high performance cars, but we all know which one is the greatest performance value and easiest to live with daily if needed, else your just selling yourself a lie.

25. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    well im still waiting and have no pm from ya..................