Why do you have a Ferrari? | FerrariChat

Why do you have a Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by audihenry, Apr 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. audihenry

audihenry Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Hi guys,

My buy vs. finance thread inspired me to create this one.

Question: why do you have a Ferrari? What compelled you to get it? Be honest! Saying something like, "because it's the best sportscar" is too vague. If that is indeed what you believe, why do you believe it? What event led you to believe it? I think you get my drift here.

I don't own a Ferrari yet so I can't comment, but let's hear your stories!

Cheers!

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I used to race 2 stroke karts but I owned muscle cars that didnt handle worth a crap. Decided one day to sell off all of my muscle car stuff and buy a car that handles well and ferrari came to mind. Bought the 308 and was forever changed almost like an epiphany occured, cant go back now.

3. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    It is hard to put into words. Why do you pull for a certain sports team? Why is red my favorite color?

For me I have always liked the looks of an F-car. I also like nice things, and Ferrari is considered by many to be the best money can buy. Ferrari has the styling, prestige, history, and name recognition one would look for in an exotic automobile.

Similiar questions have been asked before, it is always interesting to read the responses.

Matt

4. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I used to be a Porsche and BMW guy. At track days, everyone laughed at the Ferrari crowd for being slow and pretentious. I fell in love with the 575 at a motor show and not long after was offered a repossesed 2002 delivery 550 from a finance company. The rest is history.

5. bjm

bjm Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Fairfield County, CT
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Because I can.

6. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Because I've wanted one for as long as I can remember. Because I have a supportive wife who understands my insanity about these red machines. Because no other car on the road makes a sound like a Ferrari. And because you only get one shot, and you can't take it with you...might as well enjoy life.

7. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    A quote to live by....

8. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I had always been a Porsche guy (owned 39 before I bought my 1st Ferrari), then one day I went to Algar Ferrari. I drove a 335 and a 360 spider that day, and for the first time I felt like I was connected to the car not just driving it. I had never had a feeling like that before. Four years last I am waiting for my 4th Ferrari (a 430 coupe in June) to arrive. I get the same feeling I got the first time every time. Thats why.

9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Because I always wanted one, even before I knew what they were.

10. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    There is no why. I just do.

11. Samy

Samy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2005
    Because i needed a new engine plattform with good traction and a good engine position. And the 355 is the only chassis i like wich has that factors so i took this as my engine plattform.

12. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Interesting as at the track it appear things have not changed much BUT i will say when the sole Ferrari (me) shows up at track events am very courteous, kind, let guys sit in the car, etc... and good at point bys if someone is obviously faster. Of course the Ferrari here is slow (308QV with crap for track dry weather Pilot Sport tires for the moment) compared to the Porsche and BMW guys with stripped down tweaked cars and R-compound rubber. Don't get me wrong, many guys seem to admire the car for the visual beauty and appreciate seeing it where she belongs, on the track. The vintage guys especially and we get along great.

Just wish that a higher percentage of new Ferrari car buyers (in the past 5 years) track their car at real pace. Enzo had a great idea early in his company's career.

13. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    always wanted one, they are a dream

They are a 3 dimensional piece of art, and sound / drive as exotic as they look

14. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Couldn't have said it better...

I would just add, that to me, my car is also a piece of art. A sculpture that I can enjoy by looking as well as driving.

15. smsmd

smsmd Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Steven Scates MD
    As a kid, my friends raced motorcycles. I never had the money to get one, so just read about motorsports and became interested in sports cars. When I was 18, I bought an MGB, then a Lotus Europa. I had a brief time in school without a sports car, but as soon as I had a job I bought a P 993, then another one 3 years later.

All this time, I dreamed of a Ferrari. I finally drove a 348 spider a few years ago, then a 355, but my wife unexpectably became pregnant and I held off until 5 years ago or so when I bought the 360.

My Lotus was never reliable, but I loved the feeling of the low polar moment of inertia from the midengine layout. My 993s handled well, but I never lost the feeling of mass in the rear that made me conservative. When I drove the Ferrari, the old feeling from the midengine layout came back. It just felt right.

steve

16. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I can't put it better than this.

17. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #17 spiderseeker, Apr 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I "Blame" a guy by the name of Thomas Magnum. I watched the show in the 80's and after seeing the car , it was love at first sight. I knew that someday I would own one, the styling was so unique and classy. Driving it now, still makes my heart beat a little faster and my smile a little bigger. I feel privileged to own one.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Sportscarnut

Sportscarnut Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2005
    Yup, I totally agree.

Ferrari is a legend PERIOD

19. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    My story is a bit different then most.

I have a friend that had about 40 cars. I didn't have any intention of purchasing an Fcar but I had driven his before. I was looking for a MB S600 sedan and was having trouble finding the right one. When he mentioned he was letting this car go I bought it instead. So, I kind of went the other way.........

It wasn't about a year later when I was thinking about why I did it that I remembered a trip I took to the dealer I took when I was 16. You see, my first car was a MB 240D and it needed something at the dealer. At that time the MB dealer was also the Ferrari dealer. So, while the work was being done to my car I walked into the Fcar side and sat in a 308. I didn't know what I was doing, but I remember saying some day I'd own one. I've got to be honest and say I had forgotten about that day until last year.

20. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Easy reasons:

1. Drop dead gorgeous; IMO, the 328 (and other '80s Ferrari's) are art in a world overrun with ugly and/or dull cars.

2. Right sounds and smells: You really feel like you're driving and can indulge the racer fantasy. I think the 206-246-3x8 series and kin (F40, 288) probably do this better than the GT cars like the 612, but I haven't driven the GTs so take this as my opinion...

3. Celebrity (not me, but the car): People like seeing Ferrari's because no one really knows how much it cost, how fast it goes or who would buy one. But they all know the prancing horse means that it could be damned fast, damned expensive and owned by someone just a bit eccentric.

4. History: As a marketing guy, I'm very sensitive to brands and what they represent. My car may not be significant compared to a 1960s Ferrari race car, but it's part of something - not someone's marketing plan, but an heir to a tradition.

Complicated reason:

Driving a Ferrari is a kind of open rebellion against a Lexus-shaped automotive landscape. It's naughty. They suck gas, make noise, call attention to themselves and generally tell people that you didn't let Consumer Reports determine what you were going to put in your garage. Carmakers have pretty much engineered all the passion out of cars. Owning a Ferrari is a polite way of giving a certain hand gesture to the beancounters who stole our fun.

Go buy one. ;)

21. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    HaHa thats what I was going to say, Most Likely Magnum which I grew up with or maybe either The Cannonball Run (with the Dean Martin/Sammy Davis Junior in the 308Gts) or the Gumball Rally (1976 with the Daytona)

but now the thing I love is the noise & the handling

22. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Because driving one makes you feel special.:)

Because it's a nice feeling to know you have the best looking, iconic car on the road.

Because they ride soooo nice.

23. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I really agree. My dad had several when I was a teenager, and I always liked the total experience. I never really thought about buying one until about two years ago when I saw an ad on traderonline for a TR for sale in Wisconsin. I could not believe that I could afford to get what was once my dream car. So the pusuit began and ended about a year ago with the purchase of my 348. Considered getting out a few months ago and have decided to stay with the Ferrari.
    BT

24. yellow jacket

yellow jacket Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2006
    Modesto CA
    Full Name:
    Charles Lunsford
  25. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY

Yours? Yeah we heard!