Scott Speed | FerrariChat

Scott Speed

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by jdb, Apr 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Any of you guys who are interested in Scott Speed may want to check out something he's put together for car enthusiasts across the U.S. I've been fortunate to have the privelege of working on this project with him, and as a die-hard F1 fan and avid Ferrari driver, I have to say this is a pretty cool club.

Scott Speed's Squadra Piloti (Italian for "Team of Drivers") is different than the traditional timeshare clubs that have popped up here and there. Instead, we're really aiming to connect car enthusiasts across the country. Best of all, it's *free* to join and there is no limit to the number of cars that you can select to drive.

I invite you guys to learn more at www.squadrapiloti.com.

-Jeremy

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Interesting concept and I was ready to sign up but the question about the location of the garage scared me away. Strange question I have to say.

3. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    :)

When the club matches members together, they provide information about how the other members' cars are stored (no address information, just the type of parking conditions). So a lot of people do single-day trades where this doesn't matter, but there's a good portion who also do multi-day trades (in fact, this is how I drove the first Ferrari I ever drove several years ago). Of course, the parking conditions impact whether you'd want to do any multi-day trade. For example, I'd feel a lot better if another member was parked in a secure private garage than in a carport!

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I see the logic in your argument, yet it doesn't make me feel more comfortable. And I only got a 308. I wonder how owners of truly valuable cars feel when they come across that question. You might want to rethink that questionaire.

5. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    This is important feedback. At the end of the day, we want to have a club created by car enthusiasts, for car enthusiasts. If this is something people don't feel comfortable with, we'll definitely re-think it. I guess the trade-off is that -- when it comes time for members to consider exchanges -- there is less information to help them out. We appreciate the feedback, and will definitely think about your point. What we may do is explain to people why we are asking the question and just be more explicit in reassuring them that their contact info is kept secure and private.

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well think about it: You're asking me on page 1 where my car is located and whether that location is secured or not. And you don't even encrypt this web page.

In essence to me this is as sensitive as e.g. my credit card information.

PS: My car is in a secured location protected by several anti theft devices. And don't think I'm on the far end of the paranoid spectrum. There are people on here who insist that their license plates are not shown in fotographs for the same reason.

7. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Good luck... But I agree with Tifosi12.

8. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Really awesome idea.. however in practice I see a TON of legal issues. According to what you say on the website, each situation is agreed upon based on the wishes of the two owners. If it were done right, a team of lawyers for each owner would review a contract 300 pages long to cover any liability and any miriad number of problems that could crop up.. Sorry I fried your clutch, sorry I rearended somebody, sorry the car was stolen, or somebody hurts themselves or someone else in your car... Sounds like a nightmare in practice.

9. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Thanks, I'm glad you like the idea!

You bring up a fair point. We've been working with a couple reputable law firms to understand what these legal issues might be. While we do provide some legal template agreements to members who complete exchanges in order to mitigate some of the concerns you raised, at the end of the day Squadra Piloti membership is based on a degree of trust.

Really we're building relationships among car enthusiasts in local areas, and have a bunch of ways to weed out "jokers" who you wouldn't want to be members of the club. For example, one member always knows another member's driving record, insurance coverage, and feedback rating from other members. Our goal is really to connect people with a shared interest in driving cool cars. Of course, if you meet another member and you are worried they're not trustworthy, then you don't complete the trade. If we do our job right, the members of Squadra Piloti will be high-quality car enthusiasts that you can trust.

10. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Jeremy, I'm with Andreas 100% on this. At first, when I read about "How much would you charge someone to drive your car 100 miles?" I thought, well, I might let them do it for nothing depending on who it was, etc. Then when I got to the address part, I got a little turned off. On top of that was the insurance question. I understand the desire to match up peoples' profiles, but I think more private information is something that should be requested further down the line. If as a requisite to register and join I have to give the street address of my car on the internet, I'm going to have to respectfully pass. I think this concept, in general, is a good one. It just needs a little more discretion.

11. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    I hear you, and this sort of feedback is awesome and is going to help make Squadra Piloti better. Clearly we need to be much more explicit in terms of defining the privacy and security of the information we collect, and probably tell people why we're asking for an address.

The address information is needed to connect people in local areas. What we do is pretty cool, actually -- we geocode members' addresses and ask them how far they would drive to meet another user. We basically draw a circle around the member's geocoded address equal to the distance they're willing to go to meet another member (maybe 25 miles, maybe 50 miles maybe 100 miles). That way, if you're in LA, you'll only see matches with other members in Southern California and won't be bothered with matches from members in New York, since those are not in your local area. The cool thing is that the club is national in scope, but connects people together on a local level.

12. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    This topic is in Ferrari discussion as well. Is this an Advertisement ?

13. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Jeremy, how long has this been up and running? Like I said, it's a good idea, but it also seems like there are so many enthusiast groups out there that this could potentially seem redundant. If you use Ferrari owners as an example, there are already multiple owners' clubs, plus chat sites such as this one. Those who seek out others are already doing so. Those who wish to be left alone are also doing so, and definitely don't want to find other people to drive their car(s). That being said, that doesn't mean there isn't room for another source. Perhaps I would be placated if Scott were to sit down with me and explain his plan a little more in depth:)

14. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Am I the only one wondering if this is a scam...

I find it hard to believe that scott speed would get mixed up in this. Even a new F1 driver must have a pretty good agent/legal team. And this "venture seems pretty ill-conceived....

15. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    www.squadrapiloti.com is listed as a sponser in his website so i would say its legit seems cool to bad im not part of it. Seems to me that having scott speed behind it would make for some fun events for members

16. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Good find. I guess i was too lazy to look. wouln't get me signing up for this with my infiniti, let alone an F-Car though.

17. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    I dont know about lending my car out to people i dont know, and my car is a piece

BTW nice plate

18. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I think that was my general feeling as well. We already have a network of acquaintances who go for rides together and even swap seat time a little bit. It just seems a little over-optimistic that the guy who owns the two Gallardos I saw last week is sitting around waiting for an owner of an almost 20 year-old 328 to get in touch with him and offer to swap cars for the day!

19. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    I see also a F-chat sponsor now