Advice needed - is my shop being straight with me? | FerrariChat

Advice needed - is my shop being straight with me?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by battman, Apr 9, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. battman

battman Karting

Dec 1, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    Hey All, sorry for the length, but I could use some advice:

So my '86 328 failed WI emissions and I took it to Reina in Milwaukee. Reina diagnosed a bad fuel distributor (or was it regulator? - sorry, pretty k-jetronic ignorant...anyway, it was $300). So the part finally showed up, was installed, Reina also tweaked the fuel ratio, installed new plugs, and took my car to the DOT - where it promptly failed for the second time.

I stopped by Reina yesterday and saw the emission printout from WI DOT...it blew 5.x on HC (limit is 2.0). Reina told me I used to have a 10.x HC (first test) and they were getting closer. I asked what the HC results on Reina's machine were and he said they were really close to passing. He added that I probably had a bad cat (or 2 - which he's getting pricing on) and he would try again on Mon. He also said that the car was running much better, but one of the banks was still rich and he figured he could either get it to pass or if I failed a 3rd time, I could get a waiver (since I've spend enough money trying).

So I left kind of depressed because I don't want a waiver - I want a properly running car that's legal. When I got home, I looked up my previous test results (from the first HC failure), and it was 5.2 (not 10.x as he said). My conclusion is that while the car may be running better, it's still running just as rich as before. So my $300 part (which may have been needed, certainly didn't make the car run any closer to passing emissions).

And while Reina may have just been mistaken about the 10.x...I'm a little concerned. I'm still not understanding why they would take it to the DOT unless they was sure it would pass...afterall, I really don't want a 'failed emissions test' on a carfax someday in case I ever sell my baby (for a 355GTB black 6sp...that passes emissions). But I digress...I'm a layman, but it seems like either they don't know what they are doing, or they aren't being straight with me.

Reina was closed today, but I'm going to visit tomorrow and:
    1) Point out that the HC levels haven't changed and request to see the specific HC levels from Reina's machine.
    2) Ask what parts were installed and why?
    3) That I'd prefer he not go back to the DOT until we are 100% sure it will pass.

Anyone have any thoughs on this scenario? I feel like these shops have us over a barrell since we have to pass...but I'm feeling like Reina isn't being straight with me and based on tomorrows conversation, I'm thinking I should leave before my DOT strike 3 (which is all you get by the way) and I'll reluctantly have to take my car to a shop in Chicago.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Battman

2. EC308

EC308 Formula 3

Aug 28, 2005
    jenkintown, pa
    Full Name:
    ed
    I don't like the getting closer idea or just letting the car go to waiver. You are over double the HC limit. They had to know the car wouldn't pass if it didn't pass on their machine. Have they done a leakdown or compression check to see how your valves are (burnt valve)? Was the car initially running lean or rich? (Was the fuel dist. changed because of low or high pressure). Most elevated HC readings are due to fouled plugs, a bad plug wire, low or high fuel pressure, burnt valve, dirty or leaky injectors, a vacuum leak or bad O2 sensor. It's just guessing without seeing the car but I would not let the car go back to the inspection station without a confident YES IT WILL PASS. Otherwise take it elsewhere. Good luck!

3. battman

battman Karting

Dec 1, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    Thanks for the comments...the only thing I know from your questions is that the car is (and has been) running rich. Thanks!

4. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Hi Jeff,

I can't comment on your shop's diagnostics, but for $300 likely you had a rebuilt fuel pressure regulator installed. New regulators are currently in the $6-700 range, and I'm not even sure new fuel distributors are even still available (but they would be similar, if not more expensive).

Mixture for the K-lambda jetronic (used on the USA 328) is adjusted by reading the CO level upstream of the convertor; have to check my manuals but as I recall 0.7-0.9% is correct. The mixture is adjusted with O-2 sensor disconnected and vacuum hole (for adjustment wrench) plugged. There's only a single fuel distributor on the 328, so I have difficulty understand - unless they're reading from the exhaust manifold sampling tubes - how a "bank" can run rich or lean unless there's an ignition issue.

Common "failures" with the 328 warm-running include:

* "Protection relay" in the passenger rear trunk
    * Fuel accumulator not holding pressure after shutdown, leading to difficult hot restart

Most of the components are pretty reliable. The original steel injectors have been superceded by newer brass versions (but unless yours are clogged they should work fine), fuel pressure regulators have been reported on this board to stick, the fuel inlet from the tank can clog, fuel pumps can fail, and of course the fuel filter needs periodic replacement. And if a particular part isn't working within spec and has an electrical ground, always clean and retest.

Now, as has been mentioned, the ignition system is a more likely culprit. Plugs can foul, extenders can arc, wires can fail, coils (or controller modules) can fail, TDC/RPM sensors die, and always check the cap for oil leaking past the seal.

JRV has a good description of setting up FI on a Testarossa using gas analyzer on his website. Here's the link:

http://www.*****************/discus/messages/3111/4006.html

FWIW, here's the numbers from my 328 (post-(original )cat - as emissions tested):

HC 33
    CO 0.05%
    CO2 15.3%
    O2 0%

all of which are far below the standards for passing (Texas). I suspect you have a true problem and not just a tuning issue.

Hope this helps out a bit. Brian Crall and others on thi board have a wealth of knowledge beyond mine.

:) Carl

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Ask to see his 4 gas annalyzer in use on your car. Observe where he puts the probe. Report back. If he does not have a 4 gas..you will not slove the problem with this car.

6. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Was the car fully warmed up when tested? BTW both of my 328's have always passed very easily.

Dave

7. surfermark

surfermark Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Mill Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Wow that is too bad for sure....sad to hear it did not pass. I just bought a 1989 328 GTB that has been sitting for 15 years (15 well cared for years....with oil changes every few years) and I purposely took my 328 into California Emissions testing prior to the major servie and it passed with flying colors. The engine was barely warm when I took mine in for testing.....a 5 minute ride on local roads, never got out of third gear........Hope you get it straightened out soon with out sepnding too many dollars.

8. Matt Morgan, "Kermit"

Matt Morgan, "Kermit" Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Ferndale, WA
    I'm with Carl on this one. A fuel distributor would need that amount for the down payment, if you could find one. Possibllly a fuel regulator at that price. Did you get the old part? Or get to see it? A good shop will give you the bad part, and/or show you where it is on the car. A new part looks new, compared to the rest of the motor. Rebuilt parts look new as well.
    The control pressure regulator, often refered to as the WUR, or Warm Up Regulator is to the right of the plenum, just above the cam cover (close to the oil fill). It will have 2 hoses that go to the fuel distributor, and 2 to the throttle body. check it out.
    Look in the archives, and you will find pics of it and compare.

9. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Agree with Carlrose here - these are all likely culprits and basically, you've got a semi-material problem as that is a very high reading. In other words, it's not just a single bad plug wire or something very basic. Definitely check to see if the O2 sensor is working properly as if not this generally results in a rich running condition that will get you about those testing results. Ask me how I know.

Good luck and persist!

10. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I think he is referring to the WUR. Plus, don't worry about the 02 sensor too much. I passed emissions on my QV without an 02 Sensor. My HC was approx. 45 and CO 0.0. Focus on your fuel pressures and the WUR right now.
    I would like to see your fuel pressures. Sometimes WURs that are rebuilt are always correct. Most of the time they are rebuilt on the looser end which means they allow the car to run rich. They want the car to start up ASAP with your rebuilt regulator. IMO since you are running very rich I think your WUR is out of spec unless the plunger is stuck in the fuel dist. I don't think anything else could cause this type of richness.
    Let me know your fuel pressures and I will let you know if they are in spec.

11. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Battman, your mechanic may be pricing 2 cats, but your car only has 1...

Good luck with your diagnostics!

12. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    This is typical. The "mechanic" starts changing parts in a a haphazard way "hoping" he eventually changes the right part, but not TOO soon since you're paying for it. And lie about what's going on with your car.

You need to find a mechanic who knows your car and will test things out before spending your hard earned money for you. You could have anything from a weak spark, to bad accumulators/regulators, bad valves. etc. etc.

These are complicated engines and require someone familliar with them; but more than that you need someone who will take a systematic approach before blindly swapping parts. My advice is find a new shop.

Ken

13. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    New shop. These guys don't know what they're doing.

FWIW, you can't tune a bank on a 328, so if one bank is running different to the other, 95% likely you have either an ignition or a cam timing fault, NOT fuel injection fault.

14. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Sounds like the shop doesn't know what they are doing.

The Bosch system is pretty common, look around for a place that works on older European cars. There's usually a guy there that really knows the CIS system

15. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    5 x HC is not a bad cat, smog probe is placed precat, lose these guys.

When fuel dists go bad they leak thats it otherwise put some Techron in the tank to clean the fuel inj system.

High HC is a misfire, bad plugs, dirty dist cap, wires, HC is unburned fuel.

Was the high HC at idle or 2500rpm?

16. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Smog around here is measured at the tailpipe, don't know how they do things in Milwaulkee

17. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Clarification: "Smog" probe --- for adjusting the mixture --- is placed pre-cats.

The "tailpipe" test by the state should be a slam-dunk. Once the mix is set right, it should pass (idle) even before the cats or Lambda circuits get involved.

The biggest problem with passing a "rolling road" test is getting the car up on the rollers. ;)

It's getting the mixture right in the first place is the issue. If your shop is planning to reduce a 5.0 to 2.0 by using cats -- then get another shop.

20 year old cats mostly convert excess HC to excessive heat (and to a "slow down" light on the dash.)

18. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Jeff, for clarity,

* How long have you had the car?
    * Has it ever run "properly" and passed emissions previously?
    * If so, has anything been done since that time? (i.e. belt change, etc.)

Phil brings up a very good point about cam timing. I had also briefly considered mentioning compression-testing the motor, but...simple things first. Before we delve into too much of the technical aspects, what is your mechanical ability/schedule to repair? I.e. should we be be instead reccomending a good shop in your area?

:) Carl

19. battman

battman Karting

Dec 1, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    Hey Everyone...

Thanks for all of the replies. Here's an update: I went to the shop first thing this AM and talked to the head of service and I learned a few things: 1) He actually took my car in to the DOT twice, and failed both times. So I was all ready eligible for a waiver. 2) His work managed to make my HC levels go from 5.7 (my first failure) to 6.2 to 5.3...so he was impressed with himself that they were getting 'close'...I was less impressed. 3) The part he replaced was the fuel regulator...which he replaced due to low pressures (and he wasn't sure where the old one was) - however, he didn't charge me for it...I'm wondering if it was even replaced. 4) His analyzer is a Snap On MT3505. 5) He claims the car is running great on his machine, but due to the cat, it fails emissions (he still thinks there are 2 cats on my car). I was going to ask if a good cat could take me from a 5.3 to a 2...thanks DGS for all ready answering.

So after all of that, I was ready to cut my loses...I gave him $450 (min needed for waiver), he signed my latest failed emission report and I left with my car. I figure at least I can get my 2 year waiver, and then I have 2 years to figure this out.

To answer some of the questions that have come up:
    Carl: I've had the car 2 years. I think it's always had this issue during my ownership. Per an earlier post of mine, my first emissions experience with this car (2 years ago) was a nightmare too...short version: after failing on HC (at 5.3) my car "fast passed"...so I thought I was all right...until 2 months ago when this saga started. I have carfaxes stating that it has passed emissions before my ownership. I haven't done much of anything to it (fluid changes)...but from the (now 5) tests it's had under my ownership (1 fluke 'fast pass' and 4 high HC levels) I'd say little's changed. My plan is to get my waiver and spend 2 years trying to get this to work. My mechanical ability is fair to good...probably not up to par with most of this group, but I'm somewhat well tooled and do all my own work on my other vehicles (BMW M3, Jeep Grand Cherokee) - save alignments and (as we all know) emissions work.

Tillman: on pre OBDII cars in WI, emissions is done on a 'road test' on a 2 wheel dyno...unless you have permanent AWD (like my '95 Jeep).

So I suppose I'm going to start researching for a systematic approach to solving this one...one of the many issues being: how to test for success?

Thanks everyone for the quick replies and advice...I really appreciate it! Battman

20. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Well, at least you'll have the time to study the problem!

With only basic mechanical abilities it's going to be difficult to check and then adjust (if necessary) the WUR and fuel distributor. These are not simple tests and adjustments to make for the basic DIYer. So, net, I'd start out with a) checking the simple things, and b) educating yourself on the CIS system. Regarding b), there is a very good Bosch CIS book out there produced by Bosch that you can buy from Amazon. Regarding a), I wouldn't mess with the WUR, fuel pressure or fuel distributor just yet as you might make it worse rather than better at this point, particularly if you don't have the HC sniffer equipment. So, focus instead on the O2 sensor and see if replacing that makes a difference (it may well solve your problem, ask me how I know!) and then take a look at the condition of the plugs/cap/rotors/plug wires/plug extenders. Good luck and persist!

21. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I concur with Cliff here, start at the bottom and work up. Also, the O2 sensor can really mess things up if its off, and I have to agree, the shop didnt seem to have a handle on the problem.

I would add, that you may want to start with a good 30K service, you can DIY if you have basic tools, and check/put the cams in proper alignment (degree wheel), check valve clearances, and do a leakdown test. Then you are starting fresh with a good baseline. Once the engine is correct, go after the ignition, as has been suggested, and make absolutely sure its at 100%. At least then, when you look at the fuel system you wont be having to wonder if something else is "off".

22. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    One point: on the 328, idle mixture is set "open loop" -- with the O2 sensor disconnected.

A healthy 328 engine should have a clean idle without cats or lambda. The lambda loop on the 328 mostly cuts in when your chuggling along in 30 MPH traffic at maybe 2200 rpm. (Sensitive drivers can feel the "surging" as an older O2 sensor oscillates through its cycle.)

CIS predates OBD (sorta: my '88 Celica had self diagnosing EFI while my '88 328 has CIS that "never goes wrong" (sic)). The CIS system was pretty slick for its day, but when they break, the only way to diagnose them is to check every part, one by one by one. (Early L-jet systems had this issue, too -- and even more parts to check.)

CIS was the default option for getting a 308i into the US, but by the 328 series, there were enough add-ons to make you remember Rube Goldberg.

But the parts are pretty reliable. So you need to start with a leak down, to check the health of the basic lump, before moving on to the fiddly bits.

23. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth

This is really good advice. The rule of thumb is don't even TOUCH the fuel system until you have the mechanical and electrical accounted for. So many of my carb car brethern complain about running rich and spend forever tweaking the carbs with no results, not realizing the fault is elsewhere. A FI car is the same principle. Check the timing, valves etc. first, then the distributor, wires, coils, rotor, etc. second, and only THEN address fuel mixture issues.

Ken

24. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Of interest, on the tesatrossa they never do the rolling tests. I always point out that the engine is in back, and the radiators are on the side, and unless they can provide adequate cooling, there is no way to road test it. They check it at idle, and thats it...never had a problem.

25. battman

battman Karting

Dec 1, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    Thanks again everyone...some great advice here. I hope to get my waiver tomorrow and then it will be one step at a time. I actually purchased 2 books on K-jetronic...but I'm sure you guys are correct to start with the basics. I have a major due in 2 years...but maybe this is the year. Thanks again, Battman