FOC DVD (what do you think?) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FOC DVD (what do you think?)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by andrewg, Apr 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    If they want to promote the thing maybe they should send that DVD to everyone who hasn't renewed in the last 3 or 4 years......

I.

2. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Iain

Good point. Maybe they have already thought of it - but I will suggest it anyway.

Tommo - I was talking to Mick Marriott about the DVD today. Mick is theguiding light behind it. They have many more hours of footage. This was an initial effort. I will pass on your comments - unless you want to do it yourself. PM me if you need contact details. I am sure he would appreciate constructive points. I think this is only a start ( I know Mick hopes so).

3. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    Thats typical FOC lets get the RO'S involved as they self fund there own meetings and events with no financial help from the FOC so they can keep putting money in the bank for the property that 1% want and 99% dont
    How many times have the big wigs been on factory tours for free meals out to discuss the club for free from an outsiders point of view who has looked very close its jobs and perks for the boys
    like voting for members surley it would be cheaper to have a postal ballot and more fair than the way its done at the moment and a hell of a lot cheaper i could be totally wrong here but i am sure certain people go to this on club expensises for free [jobs for the boys again]
    i also find it unfair that you can work all day at the track day as a phr member and yet cannot vote i would of thought the club would treat all members the same wheather an owner or not

4. Bronco Jr

Bronco Jr Guest

I fully support this - its hard to get to events sometimes and I would guess with some degree of certabty that Hudson would land far more votes if the postal system were employed.

Postal voting still takes effort, it doesnt reduce the "Quality" of the voting and its a fair representation of the membership as opposed to a representation of those with the greater free time.

Tuppance spent - off back to sleep now.

5. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    And how many times have they let whining, freeloading, tossers go to members only track days, when there not even members.......

6. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    More votes, but probably less as a percentage, making it more difficult to win. It may or may not ultimately be better to have postal voting, but the current system is to Rob's advantage.

Jonathan

7. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    You're not a member, never have been a member and are never likely to be a member. You don't actually know what goes on and seem determined to spread anti-FOC sentiment mostly based on misunderstandings, misinterpretations and utter rubbish. No-one would claim the FOC is perfect but the members can't all be completely stupid and most must think they get something out of it and it is for them, the members, to put forward ideas and suggestions and change the things they would like changed. I can't be bothered to respond to your individual points (such as they are). Change the record, Steve!

BTW a great day at Donington at the (fully-booked) FOC track day yesterday, in spite of the rain...

Jonathan

8. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    at least i turn up unlike you at oulton park and the calander shoot

9. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Your on sticky ground mate :D:D

10. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

OMG!, that must be me, I go as a guest driver with a friend (but I do pay my way!), oh and I don't whine!

11. mad dog

mad dog Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    suffolk uk
    Full Name:
    andrew
    As a new forum member and indeed a fairly new Ferrari owner and club member something stopped me from replying earlier to a message when this thread seemed to go so off track. I am not naive enough to not realise there is often some history of disputes around and I have seen some fairly harsh criticism on this site. But I must say I was surprised at some of the content here so I thought I would now add my 2 penneth (not sure on a spelling there) on my experiences as a new FOC member.

I bought a Ferrari as cheaply as possible with the idea of using it regularly and for track days. It didn’t need to be a great example, just have a great engine. I found a Mondial on eBay and away I went for a bit over 7 grand.

I must admit to being a bit anxious about how I and my car would be treated by a club where some people have large collections of cars and there is clearly a ‘different league’ involved. I started with a few track days that were reasonably priced compared with others, but more importantly for me had FREE qualified instructors. A major bonus. The advice and help I got on the track was immeasurable and, if I had had to buy, worth a fortune. Inspired by this I went on the Curborough ‘introduction to speed events’ day. A brilliant day for just £50. Again great tuition, no pressure, very friendly people, all the help I needed and some constructive criticism of me and in my case the car. I needed to sort the suspension and a couple of hundred quid later I had a transformed car. I was also told I would not make myself look stupid on the track, so booked up for a few hill climbs at the end of last season.

The Hill Climb participants again showed how accepting this club is. I felt completely at home and what’s more could compete against some very fancy machinery – and beating some when the handicaps were applied. Invited to the end of year dinner was again something new and exciting and helped by the sponsors very reasonable. What’s more, I won a very nice handicap trophy for my 3rd race, Schumacher just watch out! There are some very clear targets for me to aim for this season and some seconds I need to knock off to get near to some very experienced racers, but some new springs this summer should help, again with helpfull advice from members. Upshot is, here I am racing a Ferrari competitively with a great bunch of people for under 10 grand – all thanks to this club!

With regard to premises, I know they are looking for somewhere, to my mind a club this size has to have their own place. I have been a member of other clubs and greatly valued visiting the club premises for such activities as looking through archives, attending maintenance seminars in the clubs workshops, borrowing special tools, getting practical advice from factory trained mechanics and the like. Ferrari owners should have similar opportunities. But practically, organising the huge number of events that they do, far more than any person can think of attending, catering for the wide variety of members interests and activities, plus storing stuff for sale and magazines etc. just demands reasonable premises for this to happen efficiently.

Turning to the dvd. The claim that it was made as lots of people have not renewed membership seems uninformed mischief making. I read the membership numbers have never been higher. It obviously does advertise the club to others and that must be a legitimate activity, I would have welcomed seeing such a video before becoming a member. I do agree the inclusion of an area group activity would have been a good idea. The recent run out by 30 cars in the Cotswolds would have made great footage. There is, of course, a difference between being constructive in our criticism and having a crack for some other reason that seems more like from disgusted of Tunbridge Wells with extra chips.

For me, I have got so much from this club in such a short time that I have offered to organise our region and happy to do so with all the help and assistance I get from others equally committed.

12. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    I agree with Andrew here on this.

Firstly I will say that I am not a member (at the moment), my car has been off the road for some time now due to health problems and some financial issues with getting a garage built next to our house.

Now I have been to four trackdays with my friend in his 355 & Mondial T, I was put down as his 'guest' driver, which to me is no different to him taking his wife, anyway I always pay my way and have really appreciated what I received, I found all drivers very friendly and approachable from andrew here who I met at Woodbridge speed trial up to F40 drivers, no-one looked down at me when I mentioned I drove a Mondial nor the fact that I wasn't a current member, not even the great Jack Sears who I had the pleasure of meeting recently when I was a 'guest'.

Basically I am now getting my car back on the road and yes I will definitely join properly and I feel that it is worth every penny.

I do respect that some on here have different views on things, but isn't everything in life like that, Jmho

13. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    Im on the DVD , well you can hear my car that is:) looking forward to borrowing a copy of of someone soon!!!!

14. mad dog

mad dog Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    suffolk uk
    Full Name:
    andrew
    PM me with address and i'll send you a copy.

15. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    Nice to see that some people enjoy and think the FOC is value for money

16. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    At what point? I saw GS's car and obviously Andy.

17. ScottyS4

ScottyS4 Rookie

Oct 27, 2005
    Full Name:
    Scott

I have just found time to sit down and catch the footage on the DVD and must say i was impressed by not only the presentation but also the enthusiasm of the owners being interviewed. If any new owners / potential members get to see these kind of activities in action then i'm sure they'll join up and start enjoying them too..

After reading Walclare's short message above, i had to write and endorse every point he makes because it's exactly how i found my way into the FOC. I also bought a Mondial QV as my first Ferrari and realised there's more to owning them than driving past plate glass windows in the high street. I thought that owners of newer more expensive cars would be looking down on me but after bravely attending a couple of track days in the first year on my own, i soon found some familiar faces, who are genuine car fans and thankfully not lottery winners who just buy a Ferrari because they can..

I've read a lot of negative stuff on this forum which would have put me off joining the club but i'm glad to say i've found nothing to moan about and lots that suits me and thanks to you Walclare maybe more owners will be tempted out of the woodwork to get involved, it's the way to get the most out of owning a Ferrari, i know i'm hooked now.

18. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I found the whole FOC joining experience so much of an effort that I gave up. I actually joined as many web clubs as I could find. Regarding FOC, I have not had a cheque book for many years and there is no credit card payment, no solo/switch card payment, no ability to even pay via PayPal. Cheque was the only way! The reason I got was that it adds to much to the cost. Bill me the extra couple of %, shesh.. no possible.

Over the years I have been an owners club member in every other car marque I have owned, mostly writing articles, taking photographs (used for Calenders), and even attending a few owners club events, with FOC, never got that far. Insurance discounts was always a good incentive (as is discounted parts & labour at main dealers) but FOC was not recognised by any of the insurers I tried, currently insured with Footman James on their bonus match scheme. (7yrs+ NCB).

I was dissapointed how 'excluded' you are if your not a fully paid up member, particularly on the buyers guide, a members club should encourage take up of the marque not make profit off it. I had to pay to get the buyers guide (sponsered by the FOC), well I will publish a 360 buyers guide soon now and I will give it away free (as it should be) to encourage people to buy one over something less worthy like a Porsche :)

Overall the worst site has to be the official owners site, its like a ghost town... does ANYONE go on there?

Trev

19. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Silverstone Ken Its got a stripe on the front :)

20. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Stop whinging and Join up Steve you know you wanna :)