Wanted to buy 85-89 3.2 Mondial | FerrariChat

Wanted to buy 85-89 3.2 Mondial

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by hershey, Apr 4, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hershey

hershey Rookie

Dec 31, 2005
    Bay Area, NoCal
    Alright guys ... Im a newbie to this forum ... Looking at purchasing a 3.2 Modial Cabriolet and need all and any advice people can offer as to what to watch for, issues, problems etc about these cars especially when buying pre-owned. Your help is appreciated. Any recommended shops or dealers in Northen California?

2. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    GREETINGS !

Where are you located in N Cali ?

3. hershey

hershey Rookie

Dec 31, 2005
    Bay Area, NoCal
    East Bay - Danville
    Any advice or pointers?

4. can'tdrive55

can'tdrive55 Rookie

Mar 10, 2006
    do not bye. complete waste of money.

5. hershey

hershey Rookie

Dec 31, 2005
    Bay Area, NoCal
    Why? ... what do you recommend? Looking for a 4 seater Sunday car....

6. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    You'll love a 3.2 cabriolet. Great all round ferrari, especially for a family guy who wants to take the wife/kids for a spin once in a while. The 3.2 has good performance, particularly if you replace the cat with a straight pipe and a performance muffler. Very stable high speed car with the longer wheelbase - more pleasant to drive than a 328gts in my opinion. And, on a sunny day, no better way to enjoy the ferrari experience than with the top down. Finally, pulling up in front of the local restaurant with the wife and kids in the car is a lot of fun too.

Keep an eye out for the usuals - body corrosion, noisy valve train, smoke on start up, uneven compression, worn top seals (these are expen$ive), etc.

Definitely buy one - you'll love it.

7. hershey

hershey Rookie

Dec 31, 2005
    Bay Area, NoCal
    Thanks for the reply. The wife and kids is exactly why im looking at this car. Need a nice Sunday car, that the family can also enjoy. Cheers...

8. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

hello,

the 3.2's were made from 86' to 88'. 1989 they became the mondial t with the 3.4 liter V8 (85 used the 3.0) i've heard the 3.2 is the mondial of choice among most owners. the 3.0 had fewer horses and those rather unattractive black bumpers. the t's had more electronics and therefore, more electronic issues. starting in 1990, they were fitted with the most bizzare, mind-boggling passive restraints ever placed in a modern automobile.

their drivetrains are good but their fuseboxes aren't. their tops are a bit of an adventure to put up at times. but for the $$$ the mondial and the 456gt are one of the best buys in f-world.

just my $0.02

9. hershey

hershey Rookie

Dec 31, 2005
    Bay Area, NoCal
    Thanks for your $0.02 ...Any one else with an opinion? Need all the information i can get my hands on ... Especially from Ferrari owners!
    Thanks Again

10. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    While the usual used car tests apply, it is especially important in Mondials to ensurethe electrical system is 100%: Cycle and test EVERY switch (including the clock and radio), and every electric function such as EVERY middle console switch and the steering column stalk switches especially.

See if the fusebox had the spade type fuses - you may want to consider upgrading the box if not
    Open the fusebox in the trunk, and disconnect and inspect the vertically oriented electrical connector on the most inside edge of the box and see if the white connector shows any burn marks; the fuel pump circuit is notorious.
    Check the wheels to ensure they are non-metric (i.e. Michelin TRX); some consider the 390mm metric wheel a rerason to bring down an offer (although if it came with them originally like the M8 and QV, ensure that the original rims come with the car).

It is a great Ferrari for it's melding of multiple capabilities into a single well engineered (except electrics) package. I have a 3.2 that I used as a daily and have taken 5 hour Grand Touring trips with the family.
    Lots of smart help on the board, but get the best example of what you can afford!
    Good luck and have fun!

11. Shark49

Shark49 Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Boone, NC
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I love my '86 3.2 and do not regret buying it at all. Just be patient and start with a good budget and keep looking. I was "so sure" that I found the right car twice before mine came along when I bought it from a guy in California sight unseen except for a Ferrari inspection. Dont forget to see if the car has records. That was a big selling point on my car as it had records from back to '86. All of the "problem" areas had been fixed or replaced by the previous owner. Its also a great car to work on if you like turning wrenches. Fairly easy, simple, and lost of people with knowledge on the board to help.
    just my 2 cents and good luck.
    -Nate

12. hershey

hershey Rookie

Dec 31, 2005
    Bay Area, NoCal
    Thanks for the advice ... I have found a few on the east coast ... but never really thought about getting the old service records.

13. mg54

mg54 Rookie

Jan 12, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Michael Gardner
    Ferrari had the QV and the 3.2 in '85. I recently bought a QV Mondi Cab.

Great car!

Add 360 Modena wheels and you will get many, many looks and questions.

Good luck,

Mike G

14. Lenvo65

Lenvo65 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    Bergen Cty NJ
    Gee I've found 4 or 5 in southern california, but very few on east coast - where are you finding them?

15. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Hershey, I'd think twice about buying an east coast Mondi. Take a look at the undersides of most 10+ year old east coast cars and it's typically a lot more corroded and aged looking than a southern CA or Arizona car. If you can get an AZ car w/o sun burned seats/dash/top for a good price then you're dong great.

I see a few west coast Mondis on ebay right now. The red '89 at Cardiff Classics is very nice - just saw it in person a couple weeks back.

Good luck!

16. hershey

hershey Rookie

Dec 31, 2005
    Bay Area, NoCal
    Cliff beer ... thanks for the reply and your comments about the uncder carriage ... good point ... Ive got feelers all over the place and a couple of leads from Texas and Arizone ... Ill check out Ebay ...

17. hershey

hershey Rookie

Dec 31, 2005
    Bay Area, NoCal
    MG54 ... any pics of a Mondial with 360 wheels?

18. hershey

hershey Rookie

Dec 31, 2005
    Bay Area, NoCal
    Cliff beer ... Cardiff has a black/tan '89 Mondial, where did you see the red one?

19. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Hershey, apologies, meant to say black not red.... It's a very nice car and they have had it for quite some months so I suspect the price is getting soft...

20. hershey

hershey Rookie

Dec 31, 2005
    Bay Area, NoCal
    Cliffbeer ... thanks ... ill have to go check it out ... do you know what there asking for it by any chance. Not to worry i'll have to call over anyways ...

Im off to Santa Rosa to check it this '89

http://www.autosportwest.com/listman/listings/l0030.asp

... I pretty sure its over priced, however low mileage.

21. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    I believe Cardiff is asking about the same for the '89 they have. Frankly, both are a little overpriced if being sold by a non-Ferrari dealer. The Ferrari dealer deserves a small premium as they can and will put something right post-sale if reasonable and necessary.

There's a big jump in price going to the '89 (the "t" model) over the prior up to '88. Frankly, I don't see the justification for the add'l dollars for the "t" because it seems like a less desirable car to me overall, although the interior is certainly more up-to-date. Good luck!

22. MondiAl87

MondiAl87 Karting

Oct 10, 2005
    Sacramento Area
    Full Name:
    Al D.
    Hershey,

Brian Crall in San Ramon is "the guy" to take care of your car. You're lucky to be so close. I'm in folsom, CA and Salerno Motorsports in Rocklin is "the guy" up here. It took me a year to find a good blue/tan combo. I thought I had a good one when I found a 1991 "t", but after talking with Brian, he said that I'd have a better experience with the '86-88' 3.2 cabrio and he was dead-on correct. My family and I love the car. The 2+2, the simplicy of maintenance. Absolutely no regrets. There's ton's of great advice for this car. The advanced search function will yield lots.

Top tips:
    1- more maintenance records the better
    2- Get a pre-purchase inspection from an independant Ferrari Shop in the area that the car is in (I bought mine in Ft. Lauderdale, inspected locally, and had it shipped out). They know to look for signs of rust, damage, inconsistent maintenance relative to the records with the car. You can also ask them to inspect other items like the fuse panel and pin connectors as noted in an earlier reply. (As an a side. Mine just developed the burn out at the fuel pump pin. No problem though. The 10-pin clip is $19.95 and the matching pins for the set are $24 from T. Rutlands. You just crimp them on and you're done.)
    3- Make sure that you understand the carfax if there are any items that concern you.
    4- If you can not be 100% sure (verified by the inspection) that the belts have been changed recently, spend the $1,500 or so to have Brian do them when you get the car. Factor that into the price negotiation.
    5- Naples Motorsports (in florida) seems to have a good reputation and has access to a number of 3.2 cabrio's. Factor in $1,500 to have the car shipped to you.

If you want more info: email me at [email protected] and I'll give you my cell number. I have pics of my car posted in the 'showroom" section, under "let's see all our Mondials".

You won't believe the fun you and your family are gonna have with the car!

Al.

23. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I would not be so quick as to generalize the condition of an east coast car. A high percentage of the Ferraris located in the Northeast never see the snow & crap. When I had my Mondial, it never even saw rain.

Issues to consider in your Mondial search:
    Rag Top-prone to fading/shrinking, not a cheap item to replace
    Boot-same as rag top. Also they have decorative retainers that wear
    Interior Leather-As with all Ferrari's from that time period, the leather doesn't hold up as well as even a Corvette. A major task to disassemble & redye the interior.
    Electrical-although I never had a problem, fuse panel have been know to have a problem. Also the diagnostic panel on center console can be problematic. Check for proper operation of solenoids on bonnets.
    General Mechanical: Usual major service items, as well as clutch, brake slave cylinder, water pump.
    Body: Condition of side bear claw inlets. Not a cheap item to replace, and one side was difficult to locate.

Great car, and will be fun cruiser. Very under-rated.

24. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Try HEMMINGS Motor News available at any books store and/or go to www.fantasyjunction.com call them and ask for CHRIS they have a very good selections of Ferrari. They are located in Emeryville CA. Best of Luck.

Mike

25. hershey

hershey Rookie

Dec 31, 2005
    Bay Area, NoCal
    Heys guys .... WOW thanks for all the pointers and comments. As a newbie I sure appreciate it ... Im actively looking for a Sunday car for the family to enjoy and i think my selection is the right one, now i just have to find one!

No one has mentioned EPA emissions for Smog checks in California... any concerns?

Al thanks for the recommendation for Brian Crall in San Ramon.