Oil PSI question | FerrariChat

Oil PSI question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Harta320, Apr 14, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Harta320

Harta320 Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill Smith
    I went for nice 200 mile drive today all highway. Around 160 miles I noticed that the oil psi was slowly dropping from 80 psi to about 45psi while doing about 80 to 90 (4500-5000rpm) the entire time. The water temp never moved from 170f and the oil temp never moved from 200-205. When I would load up the engine(stand on the throttle) the psi would drop an additional 5 to 10 psi. When I would back of the throttle all the way and let the car coast the oil psi would rise back to 80 psi and then very slowly start its way back down.

This is only the second time I have driven this car for an extended trip like this and the exact same thing happened the first trip. Driving around town and on shorter trips I have never seen this. It seems to take a long time before this oil psi drop starts to happen. I have checked the oil level frequently and after both trips and there is plenty of oil.

Any ideas from anyone if this is something I should be worried about? Maybe a bad sending unit?

Bill

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Put a temp mechanical gauge on it and try again.

3. Harta320

Harta320 Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill Smith
    Hey Rifledriver

I thought about that but how would I check the psi while driving the car? It seems to take atleast an hour or so of sustained 4500 to 5000 rpm for the psi to start acting up.

Thanks for the help by the way!!

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A long time ago I made one with a very long hose and just routed it inside the car and taped it somewhere convienent. At that point you are going to have to duplicate the circumstances that cause the trouble.

The other choice is to just put a new sender in it and give it a try.

5. Harta320

Harta320 Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill Smith
    Got it. Thats what I was thinking but I was not sure. For the sake of argument what could be the problem if the psi is actually dropping after extended driving or do I want to know? LOL

Thanks again

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

At the temps you quoted I would be hoping it was cheap oil breaking down but even that does not explain all the symptoms. The motors are really good, especially the bottom ends. It is a very high probability that it is a gauge problem.

7. Harta320

Harta320 Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill Smith
    Well the oil has about 500 miles on it. Castrol syntec 10w 40 or 50. I will look into the gauge and sending unit.

Thanks again

8. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Hey Brian are you kidding me?! taking on another oil presure issue. You planned this right? Wasn't there some sort of balloon or oil pumps with no oil in them or.... what the hell did "doubtful that I have any brains" say about that oil presure thing again? Is that you in the avatar? LMAO. Regards, Vern

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I know, just call me stupid. I have burns from the stove on both hands, seems once is just not enough.

10. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    http://www.aa1car.com/library/us1097.htm
    The above link is not for a Ferrari, just a starting point for your hypothetical oil pressure question.

Have you looked to see if you have any oil in your coolant or coolant in your oil?

11. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    In my 550 I have had the pressure gauge, showing both increased pressure and no pressure in similar circumstances. After four new senders over a period of less than 12 months, I have had my car converted to a mechanical gauge.

12. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Nice idea. Any details available about that conversion? That would be a nice gauge to have.

13. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    It was very straightforward, same as done with Porsche race cars. (apparently they use the same bodgy sensor) I don't have all of the details here on the fittings required, but can post them in a couple of days.

14. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Are you implying he has a blown headgasket?

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

It comes from laying on top of the motor.

16. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    LOL!

No, mate! Just wondering if he'd had a look-see (just in case). It was a hypothetical question, after all.

17. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Thanks, Stephen. The mechanical gauge would seem to solve quite a few bad readings from the electric units.

18. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Ok,cool :) Just trying to keep you on the straight and narrow :p

19. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    ditto on my GT4, it took me an hour and $150 to convert to mechanical after I got all the gear together

20. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    FYI, Aussie ADR rules (and general common sense) dictate that no engine fluids (or vacuum/boost lines) should enter the cockpit.

If you're approaching a corner at the end of a straight, or just going for a long fast drive somewhere, and the oil line decides to spray hot oil in your face/crutch, you'll understand more!!

This is why mechanical pressure and temperature gauges were phased out long ago.

They should only be used for diagnostic purposes.

21. Matt Morgan, "Kermit"

Matt Morgan, "Kermit" Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Ferndale, WA
    #21 Matt Morgan, "Kermit", Apr 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I recently had a question on the accuracy of a stock sender/gauge. In order to check the system, I put together a test jig. By welding a nut (the size to fit the sender) to an air fitting, I was able to verify the reading of the dash gauge compared to an accurate air regulated supply. I found the stock gauge read low acros the board, but not in a linear, or predictable way. That is, it didn't read low by a predictable percentage. The final outcome was to keep the set up as is, rather than chase the problem by throwing new parts at it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Been there done that :eek: Well kinda :( I have a Autometer oil pressure
    gauge and chrome pod mounted on top of windscreen wiper grill,outside the car in front of the windscreen. One day,the pressure line split and sprayed the entire drivers side of the windscreen full of engine oil. Lucky i was not in the main part of town and was able to slow the car down safely and avoided causing an accident. I still have the gauge on the car,but now its an electric one :p

23. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    tell me that's not the 348 you're talking about..

pleeeeease!

24. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Did you have the matching oversized tacho and shift light? :D

25. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    :eek: Nah nah,f*ck that! My old Ford Fairlane :)