CEOs say how you treat a waiter predict's a lot about character | FerrariChat

CEOs say how you treat a waiter predict's a lot about character

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by TG, Apr 15, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    That's the truth. Great article, you ******:)

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I don't really care if they don't say two words to me. As long as they keep my glass of water filled and everything runs smoothly they'll get 20%. If they are slow and have an attitude, they'll be lucky to even get a buck.

3. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    That article is dead on. IMPO, they're mentally ill.

A degree of OCD.

Bi-Polar disorder

Delusional

Severe delusional psychosis

I'm sure inside, they are good people, but are in dire need of the proper medication.

4. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    You must be an insignificant person in real life and articles such as that must makes your heart soar...

I'm Kidding... yes, there must be some sort of truth in that... but a CEO doesn't have to be someone who walks around in an expensive suit eating at fancy restaurants... he could be some ordinary looking joe getting the sunday newspaper in his jeans and T shirt...

5. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Agreed. The Golden Rule applies.

6. jplayer521

jplayer521 Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I am always nice to waiters and more often then not strike up conversations with the waiter / waitress. Tipping is usually a big thing to me as I live in a college town and know that most of the staff survives on tips. In fact just last week a waitress at outback was amazing. Great personality, gave me two drinks at a time without me even asking, changed my order with a smile, and even gave me dessert "on the house" because of the long wait. I tipped her about 75% Needless to say it prob made her night.

7. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Great article, thanks for the read.

I know someone who is an arrogant condescending bastard to waiters, shop assistants, etc.

It does speak volumes about their character...

8. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I'm really nice to ANYONE that can spit in my food.

9. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That's one of the most profound things I've ever read.

10. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    That my friends is very sage advice!!!

11. AJF1

AJF1 Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    AJ
    Anybody ever see the movie "Waiting"? Defenitely a good idea to be nice to people who handle your food.

12. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yeah..about 20 minutes of it...I got the idea.

13. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    We had the USA today at work yesterday and I read that article very interesting. The rest of the day I was paying more attention to my guest and everyone else around.
    To the movie waiting allthough i can match up all the workeres to people I work with the scene where they mess with the womans food dosent happen

14. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    I agree although I personally don't care what some CEO says about it....I am ALWAYS very appreciative of the job anyone does because no job is above or below any other...just like no company position is above any other, and great leaders know that.....They know that people in entry level positions are just as important as CEO's, and when everyone does their job well the company benefits....

Not-so-good leaders think that they are above their employees, I believe in karma and that they will get theirs in the end....

Like the old saying "Be nice to everyone on the way up, because you'll see them again on the way back down".

15. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook
    I AGREE 100% with ya on that! I have heard to many discusting stories from ex-fastfood employees about this.

After working for a major U.S. home builder for 3 1/2 years in customer service, My outlook changed big time. I am always nice to the waiter/waitress because you never know if it was the other customer who pissed them off or if the cook is dragging his @ss. The 15-20% tip rule always applies no matter how I get treated. Beside, Nothing pisses me off more than the guy who gets a bill for 50 bucks and he only leaves pocket change.

16. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I just closed out my tab tonight with a 120% tip. :D

Seriously though, it's not about treating someone nice because "they might spit in your food". It's just about being able to understand and appreciate what another person will do for you. It's really not an easy task and you are not (usually) the ONLY person they have to deal with.

Side note: I've got an aunt who is ALWAYS rude to wait-staff and generally sends things back (at least) once during a meal. After one really bad instance of this I absolutely refused to attend any more dinners with her because I simply couldn't take it. Although they've got M+ in the bank she NEVER left anything over a 5% tip!

I actually hope that they spit, stomp, and swish her food around in the toilet before serving it up now.

17. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Yeah! Yeah! CEO's who aren't rude to the wait staff, yet take a crap all over the workers in their companies, or blow sunshine up analyst ass, or ..or... the list goes on.

Anyone here should go to work for a restaurant for two weeks to see how stupid the linked article really is.

18. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Karting

Aug 8, 2005
    San Francisco
    That's a good rule for dating as well. Watch how she treats the wait person, that's how she'll be treating you in year.

19. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    Exactly, its just like the 'pay it forward' theory... There is a lot of people out there that have a hard enough time with their life as it is, why make it any harder on them...In fact, here's a thought...."why not making it easier for them"...

And a M+ doesn't not give you the right to treat someone else crappy. It's amazing how many people think that it does. All that it shows about you is that beyond your money, you have nothing else....Maybe that comes from 'selling out' or sacrificing your true dream or desire to 'cash in'...I refuse to believe that you will find your true happiness like that....

But then again, I'm a young one.....what the hell do I know.

20. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Right on ...

Heck, I apologize to the guy when I walk on wet floor that's just been cleaned ...

21. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    Wow, I've never thought of that. And now recently single after 2 years, thats why I broke up with her. I always would notice how degrading she was towards others but never thought of it like that...

22. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht

Huh?

Why is the article stupid? Many companies treat their employees quite well - actually most of them do. Whats the beef?

23. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    This is true all the way around. I have a neighbor that is rude as hell to waiters, want to guess what kind of person he is in his daily life?

24. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    It makes me sick to see behavior like that - the old white lady manager of our corporate owned/managed complex yells at the Vietnamese maintenance workers in front of tenants.

Always be nice to help, assistants, secretaries, etc. I've always believed the notion that being nice to someone's assistant or secretary is as good or better than being nice to the person themselves - the assistant is often the gatekeeper and confidant. I've been told before that I got a job because the interviewing partner's clerk thought highly of me (from only a handshake and brief conversation).