Haley and Chelle's 04/05/06 project update | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Haley and Chelle's 04/05/06 project update

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Chelle, Mar 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #226 FerrariFrank1, Apr 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had Wire Wheels on one of my Corvettes. They have some decent wheel cleaners out now that will get them pretty clean. But, there's certainly no substitute for doing it by hand....one by one....I used to do it on my Motorcycles, too. Pain in the ass, for sure! ....But well worth it when it's done and the sun is shining on them....:)

(Also had 2 Caddy's with wire wheel covers. P.I.T.A., too!....)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hi Frank,
    All chrome wire wheels are easy compared to Borranis, first of all you don't really need to polish the chrome the way you have to polish aluminum and If you try using wheel cleaners on them, you will create about 6 times the work to polish out the etching that the cleaner will leave on the aluminum rims. A detailer once used some on my car.

Bill

3. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Hmmmm....I did not know that! Thank you for the Information, my good man! :)

4. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hi Frank,
    On the Borrani wires you can do a clean-up in about 1.5 - 2 hours for 4 wheels. If it's time to do a real polish and I really wouldn't expect anyone that hasn't had the Borranis on their car or volunteered their time helping a friend polish theirs, it can take 8 to 16 hours depending on how much the car has been driven since the last session and how much shine you want from the aluminum rims. The spoke nipples are so close together it can be brutal on the fingers. The reward is, seeing them sparkling on a sunny day, IMO, there isn't a wheel much prettier than a well polished Borrani.

Regards,
    Bill

5. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Oh Yeah, I had sore finger tips many a time just from Polishing each and every spoke on those Chromed Wires that were on that Corvette, and the wheels on my Motorcycles. And trying to get in between on the actual wheel rim, between the spokes....and around where the spoke comes out of the wheel....Arrrggghhhh! Lots of Q-Tips used, too.

It certainly would have been nice to have my son with his little teeny fingers around back then to help me out with that. He's my "Wheel Man" now whenever I clean the Car....:)

6. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Then you'd love having to actually polish the aluminum between the spokes. Doing chrome is more like cleaning or waxing than polishing aluminum with compound. My Rickman-Enfield has Borrani, flanged alloy rims on it, but the spacing between spokes makes it sooooo much easier on the fingers, hell, I didn't bleed once. :)

7. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yeah, actually Polishing Aluminum is very hard. I tried to do some bits on other cars with some "MAAS" Polish. But, by hand, had poor results. Ofcourse, that was before I bought my Dremel Moto Tool with the little Polishing attachments....:)

But, even with the Chrome wheels. When you get some of that really old, hard road grime crap on them...especially around where the spokes come out of the wheels. And around the Airvalve. It can get pretty tough sometimes.

(Or is it, as Alain Decadenet would say...."Alu MINI um"....:))

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I second him on that.

9. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I can not believe how fantastic that car looks. I can't wait for the unveiling and maybe a ride? You need to unveil it at a special place like Mike's Prancing Horse show or one of the planned FCA or FOC events. Really!

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Can we have the nose painted light blue please?
    :)

11. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    From post # 222
    I said it first Frank, na na na!!!

LOL,
    Bill

12. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #237 bill365, Apr 17, 2006
  13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #238 tifosi12, Apr 18, 2006
    Actually more like this. s/n 4399 is the closest to Chelle and Haley's car since it is RHD, red and has only two side slats.

That blue nose would give the car that "Goodwood" style vintage feeling.

14. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Sorry, I'll have to strip it and repaint!!! :(

15. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Hello Chelle
    probably you've posted somewhere sometime
    but I wonder if you still have that beautiful Azzurro Urraco ? which I'd never forget

16. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    She does.

17. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    #242 Chelle, Apr 25, 2006
    Haley and I were commenting Bill, that stripe is REALLY growing on us both :)

a LOT..

Martin,
    Skip is correct :) yes we do still have it - here it is with the GTO before we put it away for the winter - thanx - we were thinking maybe friday of airing it out for the weekend as it's been hidden from the snow and salt for winter. We got a few pieces for it too, including a spare steering rack to refresh and install. Someone in Germany was parting out a rusty one so we got what we could for spares.
    Chelle

18. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Really nice fabrication work on a well thought out design. You must be having great fun, and thanks for sharing your progress.

The Urraco is quite pretty. I've always heard that these little V-8s sound much sweeter than their Ferrari counterparts. I just wish it had more headroom.

19. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #244 bill365, Apr 27, 2006
    How 'bout...

20. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    Bill your "shops" are classic! hahaha

21. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill

I really don't know what I'm doing with it, but I can push a few buttons. Quick and sloppy.... :) But it gets the idea across.

Sort of like painting, bucket and broom method :D

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Somehow this reminds me of the serial killer Gaycy (sp?), has a clownish look to it that gives me the creeps. I'd rather have only the light blue "lips" as in the original (no longitudinal stripe).

23. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Alright now Pagliacci, after all of that work, sanding, painting, sanding, painting, sand.....phewww!!!

24. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Nah! Just leave it all Red.

25. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    This afternoon we finally started it and after a new set of plugs it idles smoothly!

Tomorrow in the daylight I'll try and get a little video clip of it running. It sounds great - no we didn't take it out for a drive as I am going over the fuel, water, and oil lines checking and rechecking everything.. Kim was playing with all the inputs and it will be a few days of tinkering before we are likely to be happy with everything. The Tec3r is pretty great it seems. It has a lot of room to grow with other inputs should we add them. For the time being we're just going to work on making sure it's safe. There are a few things I want to redo. We paid professionals to do a few things that I am not happy with (routing of fuel lines), so once I know Haley can successfully drive it around the block I'll work on making those things right. This would have taken a lot longer had we not had Kim's help (she did the wiring and took the lead on the computer installation). Many thanx to her for all her help, and to Haley for not killing me over all the delays :)
    Haley spent hours polishing everything this week getting it looking great for the weekend and I couldn't get it started till we missed the events :(

Chelle