Pilote Che Gente ? How many different versions...? | FerrariChat

Pilote Che Gente ? How many different versions...?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by hps, Feb 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hps

hps Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    Hey all ;

Does anyone know about the different versions, of the book by Enzo Ferrari, called "Pilote che Gente..." were produced ?
    I have a first edition, slipcased, unopened Cartier edition of this book, and I know there were several different editions produced, and many signed by Enzo...(Mine is unsigned...) , can anyone shed light on this ? I know any version is rare, and some sell upwards of $400, but have seen the odd one for around $100......
    How many different versions were printed, and other than an Enzo signed copy, what are the rare ones ?

Cheers !!

hps

2. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    I'm looking for a copy of this book. Can you confirm that there are full of OLD pictures inside ?? How many please ?? Of which periods ??
    Thanks

3. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    My copy was a gift from Pete Lovely, when I was working at his VW dealership. He and Gary Gove had copies signed by Enzo in his purple ink, my copy isn't signed. I think he told me he got them from Bob Grossman (?). Mine is copyright 1983, printed in Modena, Italy, September 1984, "2500 copies limited circulation". I suppose that makes it a fairly common version.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about limited editions. I see the ones like mine on ebay once in a while.

4. hps

hps Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada

Tough question to answer accurately.....let's just say there are thousands of photos in this 300 + page book, from Day 1 up to just before Enzo's death.
    It is mainly , (almost exclusively..) devoted to racing , however...so there is very little mention of road cars.

Good luck with your search....get the best copy you can !!

Cheers !

hps

5. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    I've been searching for one for a long time also. Is this an Italian text or English? Reason I ask is I've never actually seen the inside of one to know!

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Check out site sponsor ************. He has the versions up on his site, new and used.

Looking at his site I see one version with a brown tone cover, which I own myself. It looks like also theres one with the same Peter Collins (Klementaski)photo in COLOR on the front.

The red slipcase cover with Enzo on the front is a special issue, you're correct, by Cartier, which was available as a premium associated with the Cartier licensed watches that were sold back in '87, '88. It does have more pages in it, I haven't thumbed them side by side to note exactly what additional material is included. I have that one too, as I purchased a watch at that time.

They are all out of print, to my knowledge. A signed copy's value would be thru the roof, I'd think.

It's Enzo's recollections of his DRIVERs, not so much about the cars. HTH

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    hps, why don't you open it and read it? It's pretty good, given Enzo's style of English.

Are you just keeping it for collector's value?

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The color cover is 5th Edition 1989 $499.00US

The brown tone cover is 1st English translation, 2500 issued 1984 (used) $249.00.

************ has them posted on his site! HTH

9. hps

hps Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada

Actually, I have opened it and thumbed through it...and will be reading it...I collect books, but I also read them. No point in having a book that you have no intent to read.....unless you hava Gutenberg bible.....
    You're right though Speedy....it is really interesting, and you can see that he had some journalism history, being a writer before a racer...

Wonderful book.....belongs in every Ferrari Library.

cheers,
    hps

10. hps

hps Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    Mine is English.....I had the chance to get other copies in italian, french, whatever, in the past, but waited for an english copy...as I said in the other reply, I like to read them as well as collect them...

hps

11. CollectorMorry

CollectorMorry Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Morry Barmak
    You can find this at www.CollectorStudio.Com.

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There you go!!

Do you have a copy of "The Miller Dynasty" By Dees????

WARNING THREAD HIJACK AHEAD!!!!! My email is down!