35,000 miles and 11+ years on belts! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

35,000 miles and 11+ years on belts!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mike C, Mar 16, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    The point of the thread? It's another data point so people can make their own educated decisions and not necessarily be "running scared" because of a few (though real-life) horror stories like Tom Spirot's. Of course you can find exceptions at both ends. You quote failure at as few as 14k miles. I know of a case where a 308 belt sheared a tooth and caused bent valves at around 5000 miles (around 3 years), so should we all change them at 4000 miles? If someone breaks a belt at 3k, do we all go to 2K? Should we apply statistics from 308 belt failures directly to 355s or 360s? Should we apply statistics from 355 belt failures directly to the 308s? The answer to all those questions is "of course not"; there are too many possibly contributing variables. Likewise, just because I got more than a decade and 35K miles, not everyone should go that long or that far. I drive my car regularly -- not everyone does. I drive my car hard -- not everyone does. I store my car in a heated garage in winter -- not everyone does. I live where there's no smog -- not everyone does. I get my car serviced and tech-inspected very regularly by an ex-race mechanic -- not everyone does.

It's just another data point. I personally DO think that every 5k miles for a belt change on a regularly driven 308/328 car is too often. I also think that the 308QV owners manual's recommendation of changing them at 52,500 miles is too long and risky, even if you do inspect them every 15 thousand miles as it recommends.

You say, "I think we should all rise up and admit that the darn belts do in fact break and agree they need changing at a shorter interval. This is what I would recommend to anyone I knew or who asked my opinion about a Ferrari." I think we all agree with "shorter interval" than the manual BUT there is no perfect one-size-fits-all number for a "shorter interval". There are too many variables. As they say, "your mileage may vary." And whether or not I'm an FCA member or FChat volunteer has nothing to do with it.

2. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

The point of this thread and many like it is to gather information. Some people like yourself don't seem to be interested in real life expieriences that document longer belt life. Ignore it if you aren't interested. Personally I like lots of information. It allows you to make a much more educated conclusion.

3. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I change mine every 3 years or 30K miles which ever is first. Normally, 3 years is first. I had a case where one of my tensioner bearings started to make noise after 1 1/2 years. It wasn't due to operator/installation error just a bad bearing.

4. scorpion

scorpion Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Kentucky
    I don't get it - while three years seems a bit excessive I don't understand why anyone would let their belts go longer than 5 years. It seems like a majority of 3x8 owners do some or most of their own work. While I was a bit nervous when I changed my belts it wasn't difficult and cost less than $200. Even if you have someone else change the belts (belts only) every 5 years at $1000-$1200 it's breaks down to $200 - $300 per year. Why would anyone risk the consequences of not changing them?

5. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I agree that every 3 years is excessive and I believe that alot of the hype about every 5 years is for the dealerships to make money, but 11 years is a gamble that I wouldn't want to take. The belt service only would have been a nice option, but when I called the dealership in my area they refused to do only the belt service and wanted $4,900 or more for the major. I don't believe that any car should need a major service every 5 years unless the mileage is excessive, but when you only put 3k miles on the car since the last major my question is why does it need everything again? To me it was just a way to screw the customer during a slow time.

6. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO
    i think it is better to do a major service than just replace the belts, on the long run it's cheaper, because if you only change belts and 200 miles later something else fails(that was gonna be replace or check at the major service) you'll have to pay the labor all over again

so it's more money know but it could save you money on the long run

or maybe not, pure luck if you ask me

7. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Another data point: I bought an 85 308 in 1999 which had 31K on it and the original belts. I did have it shipped straight to my mechanic for service however. Obviously, the older they are, the greater the odds of failure, but they do not fail one day after five years. I think some of the premature failures come from other causes or improper installation and/or retensioning which is not supposed to be done.

Does anyone have firsthand knowlege of a failure on a 328? It occurred to me I could not think of hearing of one.

Dave

8. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul

I believe the vast majority of belt failures go unreported for more than obvious reasons. The 328's are now nearing the age where the 308's started to fail more often, and thier general mileages are also coming up.

I appologise if I seem rather crass about this subject, but these cars are not growing on trees, they are a short finite supply, and so are the parts. While the 308 may be one of the largest number of cars produced, my feeling is that probably far less than a quarter of them still exist. Taking chances on the possible destruction of irreplaceable machines just does not make any real sense to me. They dont always just bend some valves, sometimes they blow so hard they take out the block, and in one case I know of even the gearbox. I think we could try a bit harder to preserve some of whats left for future owners is all I am trying to say.

9. meloyelo

meloyelo Karting

May 20, 2002
    Houston Texas
    HOLY STATISTICS BATMAN!!!!!

Less than 25% of the entire 308 series is left???? Oh my gosh! Someone please sell me theirs before they are all gone!

:)

Seriously, I would hope this is not the case.

my

10. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I'm not sure it's that low. Yet.

11. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul

I am not so sure. Hemmings had 308 parts ads back as early as I started reading them, at least early 1980's. Since the mid 90's when I became more deeply involved and interested, I have seen so many of them parted out I cannot begin to count. In addition, TRutlands alone has been parting out and breaking up 308's almost exclusively for over a decade. In 2001 when I visited them, I was told on average they are parting out two per week. Norwoods was doing the same, as were several other places. Now recall all the ads on eBay for burned cars over the last several years, flood cars, storm cars, accident cars, and neglected cars. Australia has salvage houses, so does europe, we are not alone in cutting up the remains. If 10 per week are destroyed worldwide, and if that has been happening over only the last 10 years, that would have disolved of some 5200 cars. If over the last 30 years only 3 per week have been lost, its still almost as many. Thats over 2/3 of the entire production right there.

12. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I still think those numbers are high. My guess is that more than 50% of them are still out there, probably closer to 66%.

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I agree.

And don't forget, junk yards are like battle sites. Body counts get exaggerated and once you get the parts spread out all over it looks worse than it is.

14. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well, if TR and only one other shop in the entire world have only consumed 2 cars per week over the last 15 years, thats already almost half the cars. Last time I was at TR is seen a pile of about 25 engine blocks, all 308, all destroyed beyond repair. In talking several years ago with Norwood, they had a simular pile. But we have more like 30 years time, and in all that time a lot of other cars burned to the ground. No parts, no left over engine, nothing.

Now add up cars Shaunessy, Dennis Mcann, Italian Design, and many others have cut up over the years, not counting private parties through Hemmings, and that hick salvage yard in Arkansas. They cut up three in the last year and a half that I know of. I have parts in the garage off of two of them. Thats just in the US alone, not anywhere else worldwide, yet I know OZ has salvaged more than a few, as has europe.

In any case, we can agree somewhere less than half still exist, not a great number by any means, and of those left how many will remain? The two I have in the garage, the one (21181) will probably end up parted out, because as much as people love them, the car wouldnt be worth restoring without the motor, probably not even with. So chalk up another one.

15. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth

Okay, so when I'm Ferrari shopping and the owner says his car is "well maintained" I'll just assume I have 11 year old belts with 35k miles on them, on a car that's occasionally tracked and not babied. ;>)

Ken

16. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    I guess the question I can't figure out the answer to is when you obviously do some (all?) of the work yourself & so when the procedure is therefore fairly inexpensive (certainly against the cost of rebuilding heads), why on earth would you run this risk?

I've never met a mechanic yet who thought leaving timing belts on for more than 5 or 6 years was a good idea on any car regardless of mileage. My own Ferrari mechanic who I know doesn't try & sell me stuff I don't need wouldn't dare go as far as 5 years on 3x8 belts based puerly on material degradation/weakening (regardless of mileage).

Clearly you got away with it, but I still can't figure out why you'd run such a risk!

I.

17. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Hmm, you're making me think... what did I actually mean by well-maintained? I guess regular oil changes based on both time and mileage (whichever comes first), ANY anomoly or problem or issue has been immediately fixed, service intervals recommended in the manual never exceeded and usually done earlier. But you make a good point -- you need to find out what that somewhat ambiguous term means to the person who uses it.

18. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    My mechanic is an ex-race mechanic. I don't know he'd say it's a "good idea" to go more than 5 or 6 years, but he DOES say that a REGULARLY DRIVEN and well-maintained 308 does NOT need to have the belts done every 5 years of 15K miles.

19. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Does he pay the bill if they do break at say 5 years? If so, can I have his number please!

I.

20. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I'll bet your mechanic that changes them at 5 or 6 years doesn't pay the bill if they break at 2 or 3. Stuff happens. It's up to the CAR OWNER to make an informed decision.

21. Matt Morgan, "Kermit"

Matt Morgan, "Kermit" Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Ferndale, WA
    Funny how when belts or belt systems are mentioned, along comes the LIABILITY topic. IMO how long you wish to wait, or what belts/drive system you choose, it is the OWNER that makes the decision. The belt topic has been well enough discussed to give anyone a pretty good undestanding of the situation.
    Ya want a warrentee? Go to Midas. Want to put off changing the belts? no problem, but it is your shake of the dice isn't it? Life is a gamble. Win some, lose some. good luck

22. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My only point is that many people are coming here for advice as first time Ferrari owners, or speculating about owning one. I feel it is our duty to prescribe the best maintainence intervals that are generally accepted, in an effort to keep others from damaging thier hard earned investment. Certainly its your car, do whatever you want with it. You can take a match and burn it to the ground if you so wish, but at least try not to convince others to follow you. For the people who cant do major repairs themselves, a broken belt on a 308 can easily exceed $15K these days, and along with a lot of money that many just dont have, they will be without the car for possibly an entire summer. I just dont think its worth leading people down a path with that kind of potential. I feel you people are friends who share a common interest, and as your friend, I cannot, and will not prescribe to that kind of maintainence.

23. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Indeed so, but this is the first instance I can recall of a supposedly qualified tech coming out & categorically stating you don't need to change the belts every 5 years.

Maybe he only gives that advice to you knowing that you understand the risks & issues; but if that's what he's telling all his customers then I'm not sure how much of a good idea that is.

....and because I'm in the UK we have a factory spec'd interval of two years here. I don't know of a tech (dealer or independent) who would positively advise a customer to ignore that. Its clear that they all think its a bit nuts but none of them would actively advise a customer to do anything but follow the factory spec.

.....and I still don't understand why you ran the risk!

I.

24. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Then I supposed the "right" interval would be to change the belts every two years here in the US also if that's what the factory says! There can't be any justification for the US being different from the UK in that regard since we're using the same belts. For me that would be every 4k to 6k miles and for most 308 owners it would be significantly less. But I personally think that's ABSURD and just a money-maker for the dealers who are also covering their behinds. A type of "insurance"? Sure... but where does it stop?

Manual says 52.5K miles. Many do it at the 30k/60k/90k services (which is pretty much me). Many do it every 15k. Some do it every 10k. For low mileage cars, some say every 5 years, now I hear every 2 years. I don't know what the "right" and/or "practical" numbers are. My purpose was to present the data associated with my particular case. I'll give you another datapoint, but it's for a "low-mileage, not-often-driven" example FROM MY SAME CAR shortly after I first bought it, and I do have all the service records back to day 1 to back it up: I bought the car in 1993 it had 21k miles on it, but had been a garage queen for the most recent 5 years. I was a Ferrari newbie, and didn't know any better. When I bought it and started driving it regularly, the car started having leaks and other issues, and we had to do seals, many hoses, waterpump, and so also decided to do the belts at 25k miles. THOSE BELTS did indeed have some evidence of aging and slight cracking. But after that first year of my ownership, I haven't had any seals, hoses or other "aging" issues BECAUSE I DRIVE IT REGULARLY. It made sense to me AND my long-time mechanic (he in fact is the same person that did that first belt job and all the other maintenance I mentioned) that I wouldn't have belt issues/concerns now either, and indeed they looked great when they came off. That's the difference, and that's my datapoint that I wanted to share in this thread.

ONE OF THE BEST THINGS YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR 308 IS TO DRIVE IT REGULARLY!

25. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The owner's manual for the 85 308 I used to own had a factory published insert stating the belts should be changed every 2 or 3 years (I forgot which and don't have the car anymore). I don't know if it came with the car or was inserted later. Obviously, the owner(s) of this car didn't give it much heed! 14 year old belts when I got it. It is my understanding Ferrari began recommending short intervals after losing a suit over a TR with broken belt.

Dave