355 vs. 360 - A newbie's conclusion | FerrariChat

355 vs. 360 - A newbie's conclusion

Discussion in '348/355' started by MountainMan, Apr 19, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MountainMan

MountainMan Rookie

Sep 11, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I went to Ferrari of Denver today, expecting to come home with a 355 Spider. It's a red/tan '96 with 27k miles. Upon driving it, I was sorely disappointed. I love the way the 355 looks, but these cars just feel too old for my taste. It doesn't smell new, the top isn't lined, the dash and controls look outdated. All the little details, like the seatbelts and seat adjustment mechanism and steering wheel adjuster...Everything just feels like...well, a 10-year old car. It rides beautifully, and looks gorgeous and sounds fantastic. But that's not good enough to get me out of my M3 (which, incidentally, feels faster than the 355).

While I was there, Mike was kind enough to send me on a joyride in an '03 6-speed 360 coupe (red/tan). MAN! Now, THAT'S a car! There is just a world of difference between the 355 and the 360. Everything about the 360 is an improvement. It feels like a modern car. The interior is supple and comfortable and just as good as any german car. It feels VASTLY more powerful than the 355 (or my M3), because the torque is available so much lower. The view out is far superior. It feels far more balanced and evenly loaded front/back. The power steering is more naturally weighted.

Some of you guys are able to pay $250k for an F430, and I sure envy you. I understand it is also a vast improvement over the 360. But for those of us still in the sub-$150k range...the 360 is just absolutely phenomenal, and surpasses the 355 in every way. My first Ferrari is no longer going to be a 355 -- it's going to be a 360 coupe (6-speed). Anyone ready to sell?

2. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Cool, congrats, and when you get her post some pics!

3. jamie140

jamie140 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 17, 2004
    GTA/Marco Island, fl
    Full Name:
    Jamie
  4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You should enlist the help of Dave Helm in your search to be sure you get a good car. He is one of the best Ferrari mechanics in the country and happens to be in Boulder.

He can be reached at 303-938-9000.

5. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I bought my first Ferrari, 98 355 spider about a year ago... I like it. But I never fell in love with it..I prefer my Viper. The 355 feels cheap and the performance leaves a lot to be desired ( yes I understand its 8 yrs old) .

So Im selling it end of this year and moving into a 360 Spider. Was looking into Gallardo Spyders but I wont pay a big premium when its obvious the Gallardo does not retain value.

One thing I will miss about the 355 is the styling..I think its the last Ferrari that looked like a Ferrari.

6. tstafford

tstafford Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2006
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Having owned both - go 360. It's simply a modern car.

7. TimsBlack16M

TimsBlack16M Formula 3

Jan 27, 2005
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Owned both. The 360 is the much better choice. Good luck! Tim

8. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    There are some things I miss about my 95 Berlinetta, but not my 96 Spider. I think if horsepower is what you want, drive a strong 95 before you rule out 355's. It's been debated here many times, but I can tell you first hand 95's are the fastest variant of the 355's. My 96 was not as strong of a runner (needed a valve job) but had nowhere near the throttle response of my 95. The 360 is a better car in every respect, but it also costs a lot more to purchase. If it's in the budget, go for it, but if your stretchingyour budget give a 95 a drive, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Can't go wrong either way, both great cars. Good luck.

9. GordonF355

GordonF355 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    the 360 is truly a great car but don'trule out the 355 just yet... With a good exhaust system and 6 speed it holds its own... You just have to know how to drive it - above 4000 rpms all the time that is where it has all of its power. If you try to drive this puppy at low rpm's forget it - it just won't perform up to par of the others. I still like the interior of the 355 - it just screams pure race car, where the 360 is more luxury race car... anyway, you cannot go wrong with either, just make sure you get a capristo or tubi exhaust with test pipes on either one!
    gordon

10. rketex7

rketex7 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    K.C.Y.
    355 = timeless Ferrari design
    360 = model master piece

I get more stare from F355 because people instantly know what I am in, but 360, my wife thought it was a Mitsu 3000GT from a distance.from the front MY .02 cents.

11. GordonF355

GordonF355 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Gordon

very true!
    gordon

12. AndyD

AndyD Karting

Feb 20, 2006
    Snellville, GA
    Full Name:
    Andy D.
    I originally was going to get a 355, but ruled it out because I like the lines of the 360 better...it is more "exotic" to me...maybe the 355 is more "ferrari like", but we all buy them for different reasons. When I showed the cars to my wife, she didn't like the 355 or 360, but the 456GT...she said it was more like a "real" car...More BMW or Porsche like....exactly what I don't want!

13. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Lets not for get that the 360s are not that modern anymore, some are nearly 7 years old now. Its the F430n thats moden. So compare modern BMWs with modern ferraris.

14. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    There is still a pretty good price difference between the 2 cars.

For me, the GTS provides an open top without the hassles of a soft top. Other than the CGT - which is in a different league - there are no good targas made anymore. And there is no 360 equivalent.

15. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Love the F355 personally.

16. coolblue

coolblue Karting

May 6, 2004
    Thinks my 355 looks like a bodybuilder that has gone too far, but the 456 is more understated.

17. sklitz11

sklitz11 Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2004
    D.P. Illinois
    Full Name:
    Vince C.
    Love my 355 but if I had a choice I would probably own both a 360 and a 355.
    The 355 was my first love and will always will be....

Thanks.
    Vince

18. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Agreed the 355 gives me everything I could every want and then some. I can't justify another $75k for a 360 that simply dosen't have the styling as does the 355.
    While I agree the 355 has rough edges on the interior, I believe this gives character and charm to an anotherwise sophisticated car. The exterior styling is simply sexy!

19. tstafford

tstafford Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2006
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Love them both too - there's just something more "put together" about the 360. I was sort of worried all the time that my 355 was going to break and leave me stranded. I would say the sound of the 355 is way better than the 360. That said, I'm not sure anything else is really better. As well, I should mention the 355 performed flawlessly to its credit (I'm just paranoid I suppose).

I disagree with the comment that the 360 is no longer modern. Yes, it's not the newest model but it's really much more contemporary than a 355. There is a big difference between the two.

20. CarCrazy

CarCrazy Karting

Oct 2, 2004
    Douglassville, PA
    Full Name:
    Bob
    What's modern ? That is up for debate. Sounds like interior features are more what you are concerned about than anything else. No right answer here on this topic. The 355 can be a hassle at times $$$ but put the two together anywhere in the world and I think most people will instantly recognize the 355 as "FERRARI" I wish the 355 had the 360 inside but I think in time the 355 will be one of the nicest styles along with GTO etc. Won't be worth much but the "look" is priceless.

21. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Actually, BMW has always been a more "modern" car than Ferrari. Decent sound systems, soft leather, nice amenities, easy to see out of, great power (in the M), etc. Problem is, they're generic, disposable cars (albeit great ones -- I loved my 3 and might get another coupe).

The older Ferraris are loud, raw and idosyncratic. It's more about the driving experience than the new car smell and the 0-60 sprint.

However my car-enthusiast friend in Philly would strongly agree with you -- he doesn't like cars more than 3-4 years old, even Ferraris.

Go watch Goldeneye again. And again. And again. ;)

22. 996cupracer

996cupracer Karting

Jan 12, 2006
    Westport, CT
    I have had a 96 355 spider and currently have a 360 spider (on the list for a 430 spider). I prefer the sound of the 355 but everthing else about the 360 makes the 355 seem dated. The 355 is beautiful imho inside and out. But, it appears an old design. This is just a fact of car ownership. Fortunately, and unfortunately they are always making a better product. Anyone on this planet should be happy with the 355. If you are the type of person(unfortunately like myself) who is happy only with the best, strongly consider the newer car only if it won't stretch you too much financially.

23. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    I base my observation on the fact that when the 360 was revealled, the 355 was then commented as old becourse naturally it was 6 years old. And the 360 was new cutting edge technology, and rightly so.
    So now we have come full circle and now the F430 is new cutting edge technology and the 360 now 7 years old is.....old:D And rightly so, this was going to happen any way as it will to the 430. Of course its a more modern design than the 355 but its not bang up to date modern, i cant be, its 7 years old;)

24. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    I've just sold my '95 build, 6 speed 355 Spider after 5 years of ownership. Here's my brief thoughts on diff between 360 & 355 :)

F1 box is awesome .Bearing in mind I've only ever driven manual cars , CS box is very user friendly . Foot flat on pedal in race mode is just EPIC
    355 is my 1st love , always will be. BUT 360 is light years ahead in terms of interior design and for 1st time ever after dropping off 355 in PX i realize 360 is huge leap fwd for Ferrari .Having said that, 355 is a much more intimate car .Proportions of 355 are perfect and it's a fantastic car to drive . The feeling of speed is much more apparent in 355.

25. billyfitness

billyfitness Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    They are both great cars but I feel that the 360 is too refined in looks, sound and cockpit.
    Price should not be a consideration since 360's will be below $100K very soon.