When do you let go? | FerrariChat

When do you let go?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Fan512bbi, Apr 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    My Daughter says that i am treating her like a baby and not letting her grow up!! the thing is to me she is my baby and always will be, she as made new friends at the college she attends and wants to be out all the time but last night she did not get home untill 21.50 and i was not happy especially as some boy brought her home in his car :( we had a slight row about it and she stormed off to her room, before she left for college this morning i tried to talk with her but there was no chance all she said was that i should let her grow up but should i? am i acting to protective? or just being a good Father?

2. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    its a tough situation steve. she IS living under your roof.... I was still living at home and going to a junior college and got a little big for my britches. my mama used the old, "as long as you're living under my roof", trite but true. I think time will eventually work it out...and let me add that for a college age girl, 2150 isn't REALLY all that late, now if it had been 0300....

3. Ferrariguy2

Ferrariguy2 F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chief
    Isn't 21:50 only 9:50 pm??

4. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    aye, aye sir

5. ajide

ajide Karting

Sep 1, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I have three kids, two of them girls. They are all much younger, but I am anticipating this problem.

When I went to college and wanted to be treated "like a grown-up", my Mom gave me the best speach. I plan to use it:

"Sounds great! I've been looking forward to you becoming a man! But let's be clear, being a true grown-up means taking on grown-up responsibilities. I will be happy to give you 3 months to find a job that can pay for school (or I can help you with the loan process), find a place to live that YOU can afford, put together a budget that includes all of the small things (like health-care, insurance, clothes) that your Dad and I pay for, etc. We are looking forward to visiting you in your new place and giving you all of our love and support.

Or, I will be happy to continue our current arrangement, I pay and I get a say to what the rules are. As long as I have skin in the game, I just won't be comfortable without having some say in the rules. We can work together on it, I'm willing to hear your opinion and come to compromise in some areas, but I do have areas I won't budge on.

Just let me know how you want to move forward. I love you."

I can almost recite it word for word. It struck like a bolt from the sky. Needless to say, I waited a few more years to become a "true grown-up".

Andrew.

6. Noelani

Noelani Formula Junior

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    R
    I'm a little surprised by your post. You're talking about a girl who is college-aged, as in between 17 and 22 years old?

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Move to Alabama. No one will say anything, even if you "Hold on" to her forever! ;)

8. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    It's obviously a joke.

9. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Andrea is 17 and as always been the type of girl to not want to go anywhere but now is out all the time, 21.50 may not sound late but i wanted her to be home at 21.00 to get some studying in for an important exam that she as coming up.

10. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Why do you say that??

11. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    yeah, wondered that too. well, 17 is a diff matter....

12. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    I think she's at the age where you have to begin to loosen up and pray that you've brought her up to have enough good sense not to do anything really dumb. :(

I've got a son. I'm stopping now. Don't dare to have daughters. :D

13. LMP234

LMP234 Formula 3

May 8, 2004
    TN
    Full Name:
    Leon
    3 brothers here.

Dad had 3 brothers.

Grandpa had 3 brothers.

Uncles have all boys (dads side).

Mom has 1 brother.

I dont know what I'll do if I have a girl, but I can bet she'd probably be a tom-boy.

14. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Why would you think that? As long as I provide support for my child and they live in my house for free, they will follow my rules even if they're 45 years old. If they don't like it, they can find a job and pay their own way.

15. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    In many commonwealth countries, "college" can mean high school.

16. Mario Gonzalez

Mario Gonzalez Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Out of my mind
    Steve, hold on to her as long as you can. Kids will be kids at any age. Watch them and protect them especially during the "wild" stages of their lives. They may not like the discipline you impose under your roof, but in reality discipline is really what kids crave even though they disapprove. You may be the "bad guy" right now, but when she settles down later on in life, she will look back and realize that "Dad took care of me". But where you'll benefit from this is when she has children of her own. She will instinctly raise her children the way you raised yours.

It's all about morals and values...

17. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    She could be home at 2000, but if she is not focused on the test, that will do no good.
    I think you need to stress if her grades slip more than an 'acceptable' level, ie 3.9 to 3.8 may be OK, 3.9 to 3.4 is a problem, then you can TRY and draw her back.
    Problem is, you push too hard, she may pull away even further, but nobody knows her better than you do, so use your judgement.

I know your problem well, I am dealing with it right now.

18. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Thanks guys i really appreciate your input :)

19. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    So what happens if she comes home and says, "Dad, I've decided to become a lingerie and bikini model." ?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just note Steve that when people around you see that is what you value (based on the frequency/distribution of your posts), don't be surprised if Daddy's Little Girl decides to do that to win approval. I'm realizing this principle of example already on a smaller scale as I try and tell my toddler he can't drink Diet Coke while I have one.

20. Mario Gonzalez

Mario Gonzalez Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Out of my mind

thats a loaded question.

Are you saying based on his posts is how he raises his kid?

like I said Ryan,

it comes down to morals and values. All of it starts at home at an early age.

21. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    LOL! Spot the dude who hasnt any kids yet ;)

22. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    back in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Scot Danner
    Yeah Steve, post some pics of her in the bikini thread! :D

But seriously: by this point either you raised her right or you didn't. And I'd sit her down and tell her exactly that: you've done all you can, and she's old enough to make her own decisions now. You can't make her sudy, but you hope she is mature enough to want to. The only person who will suffer if she does badly in school is her. And now that she is grown she can't expect daddy to bail her out if she makes a mess of her life.

23. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    No, I'm not saying that.

I was saying that Steve has to be careful because his daughter will see what he's glorifying a woman to be in his many posts, and seeking approval she may decide to be exactly like that. I have seen women say they got into such things because they found their father's Playboys etc, and decided that was who they wanted to be/had to be (while not acknowledging the obvious psychological connection they do it for fatherly approval).

Also, you could say an underlying theme of my comment was it would be a bit duplicitous if Steve touted these bikini babes publicly in thousands of posts (requires hundreds of hours to compile, no doubt), then would fear his own daughter becoming like the women he glorifies. Now, if he is fine with his daughter being like those women, then I commend him for being an honest straight-shooter.

Steve: I know from his posts here that you are trying very hard to be a good father. Be aware of the messages you send your kids. That's what I'm saying.

24. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I have three daughters. I say don't sweat it. She is just growing up. You might want to have a simple discussion about life's pitfalls and what you would expect the solution to each of them would be. If she gets pregnant, you might expect she give up the baby to adoption, etc... But if you haven't had any big problems for 17 years and she is in college, she sounds well on her way to success. Just keep the communication open.
    BT

25. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    I see where you are coming from and appreciate what you are trying to say but do you really think Andrea is besides me when i post in the bikini thread?