Newbie to Ferrari | FerrariChat

Newbie to Ferrari

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Doctor K, Apr 26, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doctor K

Doctor K Rookie

Apr 26, 2006
    Palm Springs, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dr Larry Kauffman
    Never owned a Ferrari yet, but I've been hooked on the mistique for several years. If I quit buying Porsche cars I will look seriously towards a Ferrari.

Using a hypothetical price cap of 100K what type of F car would you driver/owners suggest.

My personal P car is an 05 GT3 Mark ll with a couple minor mods.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

TIA

Doc

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Ferrari's a very different game than Porsche. I had a 993 before my 328. You won't touch your GT3's performance numbers with any Ferrari under $100K. Also, as you know, your routine services will be multiples of any 911. But you might be having enough fun that it won't matter.

In your price range, the F355 (later model years) is easily attainable now. It's definitely more sports car, less GT. Service costs are on the high side for a V8 car, and it has a couple of well known issues that need sorting out (preferably before you buy it...) Most people love the design, and the engine sound is top notch. The 360 is still above $100K, but coming down.

I happen to like the 'classic' Ferraris like the 308 and 328, but you sacrifice a lot of performance, and the ergonomics are very Italian. These are under $60K. The Testarossa gives you 12 cylinders for under $70K (depending on the car), classic looks that people either love or hate, and stiff maintenance costs. You could probably get a VERY nice TR in your price range. These have a definite '80s look, low roofline, long and wide -- cherished for that, their sound and performance (390hp I believe in a '90 TR?)

In the grand tourer category, a 550 (V12) may be close to your limit, and the 456 is comfortably within it. Not sure what kind of car you're after, but these are a bit more comfortable and less hard-edged than the mid-engined V8 cars.

My brother's a Porsche guy for life. I was bored with Porsche the day I took my first Ferrari drive. You just need to drive one and experience it. Ferrari: There is no substitute! (oops)

3. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Someone posted here about a 575 in your price range which is really cheap for that particular model. If you were buying today I would suggest a 512TR or a 355. IF you want to wait 3 years I would say you should be able to find a 360. If you want a car for fun and not as a daily driver it is hard to beat the 328. If you don't intend to drive it, it would seem the 348 is the logical choice. Most of them you find are vey low milage and you hardly ever see more than one at any given event (in my area anyway). Maybe I should rephrase that. Logical is not the right word for any of the Ferraris...
    :D
    BT

4. 1badboy

1badboy Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2004
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric Rayl
    Dr.- your post leaves out a few things- do you track your p-car? Do you expect to track your f-car? Do you do "grocery getter" trips in it? Are you keeping p-car too? There is going to be such a huge difference between a <$100 K f-car and your 05 GT3 that it just doesn't make much sense if you are trading (I did something similar and by time taxes, etc and depriciation on p-car is considered, you may be wishing you waited awhile- or maybe you register in Montana :)

Now if you were like me - die-hard f-car guy who had to try p-car and then had to go back to looks and sounds of f-car, then I understand. But otherwise I'd suggest enjoying your unique p-car for awhile more as the mileage will not be much of a factor, and you are under warrantee where you will not be with any <100K f-car.

But keep us posted on your search and your feelings after you research some more...

Regards,

Eric