Swap seats on a 348 | FerrariChat

Swap seats on a 348

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Luuk 348, Apr 28, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Luuk 348

Luuk 348 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Luuk
    Hi all,

I want to redo my seats ..If I can swap them ( only the upper half ) the weak spots are on the inner side……If I repaint that I have a hole 10 years to worn out again..

Anybody did this,..???

2. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

A good upholstory shop can usually replace a leather panel for $2-300..........and if they are good..........you won't be able to tell the difference. It's a lot less work than what you want to do......

3. Luuk 348

Luuk 348 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Luuk
    I don't mean replace them ....I mean swap the left and the right one

excuse me for my crappy English...

4. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    It's an easy swap for the bottoms side-to-side. The tops are probably easy too, assuming the guides for the shoulder belts will swap sides-you'll probably have to swap the back panels on them.

5. Luuk 348

Luuk 348 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Luuk
    Ok..I'm going to do it... only sombody get me started ho to remove the seats..?? I have the technical drawing of the seats but I just cant figure out ho to remove them.

6. Luuk 348

Luuk 348 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Luuk
    #6 Luuk 348, Apr 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

It's easy. I've done it twice already. Each seat has two metal tracks that are held down by 4 bolts.

The front two bolts are horizontal. Push the seat all of the way to the back to expose the front two bolts. Now use a metric allen wrench to unbolt them.

Now move the seat all of the way forward to expose the rear two bolts. They are vertical. Now use a metric allen wrench to unbolt them.

That's it. Now your seat comes out.

(OK, some models of 348's have seat-belt brackets that have to be removed, too.)

8. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #8 No Doubt, Apr 30, 2006
    From the manual:

There are two 58's and two 69's (but the 69's are actually located further back than shown in the drawing...closer to where the 72 is drawn)...that's it. Unbolt them and your seat comes out.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Can 348 or 355 seats be relocated further back ? Even slightly ?
    I am looking into one of them, but I am 6'4" and 320 lbs., not roly-poly fat, just a big guy, with a 46 inch waist.
    Next question will be if my feet are too big for the pedals, my shoe size is 13.

Ideas ?

10. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

You can do it for your size, but you are right at the max that could be worked in.

First, you'll need the small racing/shifting shoes. Second, ditch the floor mat...because your left toes will touch the bottom of the steering rack, otherwise.

You could move the stock seat back with a pair of custom seat racks...or by relocating where it is mounted to the seat (but the mounts from the seat rack to the floor of the car are fixed and I doubt that you want to drill out new ones).

But...you'll probably want a different design of seat than OEM, as the center section "bucket" recess of the OEM seats isn't going to be kind to a size 46 backend.

11. Luuk 348

Luuk 348 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Luuk
    Thanks big time ....I will post some before / after pictures .

Luuk

12. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    So do I have any other choices in F-cars, say within the last 10-15 years ?

13. GeorgW

GeorgW Karting

Jan 31, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Georg
    Hi,
    I had the same idea and have done it one year ago: the (european) seats are basically the same and you can exchange the parts for adjustment and seatbelt lock from left to right and then swap the whole seats, not only the upper half.

Regards, Georg

14. jkuk

jkuk Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Wirral, UK
    Full Name:
    John K

Luuk,

yes you can do this. I just did a few weeks ago.

Once removed you need to swap over the reclining mechanisms, seat belt anchor points, and recliner lever.

Its fairly straight forward - make sure you don't lose any bits when the coil spring is prised off. You'll see what I mean wnem your there.

And also remember the positions of parts in relation to each other or you will be rebuilding the mechanisms several times to get the coil spring to go back on under tension - I've been there !!

Good Luck

15. ft328

ft328 Rookie

Jun 27, 2005
    does anyone know whether the same applies to 328's? my driver's side seat has sustained much more wear than the passenger seat (as i'm sure with most of you) and would like to swap them if possible. anybody done it before?

16. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Pictures, John, Pictures! You've got to take pictures of these operations for the 348 Brotherhood!

17. Luuk 348

Luuk 348 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Luuk
    Thanks again all for your input .. This weekend I am going to Formula 1 at Nurenburg Germany and after that I will take out the seats and do the job.

The first thing I need to do is try to cut a small peace of leather underneath the seat and post it to the guys from "colourlock" ( www.colourlock.nl ) so they can mix me a matching gel for the repair.

Don’t worry pictures will be posted….

Luuk

18. GeorgW

GeorgW Karting

Jan 31, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Georg
    #18 GeorgW, May 2, 2006
  19. 348_project_car

Jan 29, 2006
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I am dying for more answers to your questions whisky, we are nearly identical in size.
    By the way, EVO 3's are the magical answer, just can't be determined if they will fit.

20. jkuk

jkuk Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Wirral, UK
    Full Name:
    John K

I would love to but no digital camera i'm afraid

I feel guilty as the brotherhood has been very kind to me in the past with the knowledge here.

New flexi brake hoses is next as they have a very small blister right next to where they enter the front caliper mount (not the inboard side)

Beware brothers, this was the same on both sides of the car and very hard to spot.

I will be fitting Goodridge steel braided hoses (about £45 for all 4 sides)

21. Luuk 348

Luuk 348 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Luuk
    Wow ....Georg those seats look brand new.....

Did you do it yourself or by a professional company ??

Luuk

22. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    JK, you don't have to have a digital camera. If you take a $5 "disposable" camera to a quick-photo place such as Wolf Camera, for $1 they will put those photos onto a CD-ROM for you, and the F-Chat software can upload directly from your CD-ROM drive with two mouse clicks.

As for the brake hose issue, please...PLEASE start a new 348 tech thread. Your observation needs to be seen by more than just the people reading this thread on swapping seats.

23. GeorgW

GeorgW Karting

Jan 31, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Georg
    thanks Luuk, I´ve done the work myself.

Regards, Georg

24. Luuk 348

Luuk 348 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Luuk
    #24 Luuk 348, Mar 9, 2007
    TADA...finely did it the left seat to the right and visa versa. cleaned the bad spots and repaired the really damage spots. They look brand new I am more than satisfied. My seats had always a little play on them. The reason of that was some screws on a almost unreachable place that came lose. I had to take the back seats apart to reach them but now its perfect. I post some pictures to explain.

Thanks a bunch for al your input….
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Smart work!