355 Dead Battery | FerrariChat

355 Dead Battery

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rcallahan, Feb 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    I just went to start my MY1999 F355 and the battery is dead. The manual is behind the seat (which is all the way back) and I cannot get to it.

Question, where is the battery and how do I charge it??

Thanks,

Bob

2. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

The battery is in front of the right side front wheel.

You could also charge it or even jump start it by taking off the right side engine cover(black plate) with the allen screws. The + will be there(black junction box). Also the ground post will be under there too.

I would recommend a battery buddy trickle charger if you are letting the car sit for more than a month.

3. VS1

VS1 Karting

Oct 16, 2002
    Beavercreek, OH
    Full Name:
    Vishal Soin
    Been there and done that with my Dad's 355. You don't want to know where the battery is. It's up in the front right wheel well - behind a panel just ahead of the wheel/tire. To get to it the front right wheel needs to come off.

First, try this - it worked for us. Open the engine compartment, on the right side of the engine along the right fender remove that long cover panel [it's held in by metric hex bolts]. Under that panel you will find battery terminals [again under a plastic cover box]. If I remember right they are labeled and there are 2 positive and 1 negative terminals. Connect your charger to the approriate terminals and go get a beer and a nap.

Once you get the battery fully charged you can maintain the battery by backfeeding through the cigarette lighter plug. I wired a plug to a battery tender and anytime the car will sit for a while - run the line into the car, plug in to the cigarette receptical and just crack the window to run the cable outside to the electical outlet. Has worked like a charm.

If you'd like more detail - IM me and we can chat or talk through it via phone..........................V

4. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    Thanks guys for the info. I'll try to charge it in the morning.

Bob

5. OrangePeel

OrangePeel Rookie

Jan 27, 2004
    Herts/Essex border
    Full Name:
    Neil Pearson
    Hi. You replied to this thread some time ago. I just wanted to check with you something. I recently aquired my first 355 and it has a flat battery. I work abroad during the week and wasn't aware that the battery is easily drained if left for long periods. I have took off the cover box as you suggested and there are 3 terminals, 2 tied together and another one. The 2 tied together are the positive terminals? and the other one negative?. Any advice to get the thing working again would be appreciated.

6. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    My battery died on me after a jet wash at local car wash. I was able to jump the battery with a portable charger and it was fine after that.You have to leave the car running for 10 mins or so to let the ECU sort itself out as a jump will reset everything electrical.
    Connect + to positive pole under the cover and - to the side of engine bay , under protective sheet.You'll need a set of Allen keys to get battery cover off.
    Good luck
    Tony

7. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    All of the 3 little posts under the cover are the positive ones - you can connect the starter to any of the 3 (positives). For negative just connect to the frame post which is a little bolt looking thing 4 inches toward the center of the engine bay from the Connection.. (looks like a bolt from the frame).

Thanks,
    Rich

8. OrangePeel

OrangePeel Rookie

Jan 27, 2004
    Herts/Essex border
    Full Name:
    Neil Pearson
    Thanks tony, I appreciate it. I don't know what you mean by "under protective sheet" though. Do you mean place the charger on the floor with a protective sheet and them connect to + and -.

9. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    #9 richard_wallace, Feb 29, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    On each side of the engine bay there are 2 (1 on each side) protective covers. Made of Aluminium. The one on the right side of the car is the one you will remove (3 Allen Screws) once you take this off - you will see the Positive Battery Charge Post... Not actually the Battery but the place where you can charge it

See Picture of the cover you will remove to get to the Battery Terminal....

Hope that helps...

Rich
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. autobob

autobob Rookie

Jan 7, 2003
    USA
    Full Name:
    Bob Harris
    When you are going to store the 355 for over a week. Open the front hood right hand, passengers side in USA, is a small quick release panel in the black carpeted panel. Under the panel you will find a round knob with an off arrow.
    This disconnects the battery to keep it from draining while in storage. Before you turn this off be sure the ignition is off and alarm is not armed.

11. VS1

VS1 Karting

Oct 16, 2002
    Beavercreek, OH
    Full Name:
    Vishal Soin
    Now that you mention it - Rick is right. I got the cover off and called the dealer with the same question [which is positive/negative]. I then connected the battery charger to one of the terminals and the other clip to the frame post.

12. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Is the terminal under the Aluminium cover OK to trickle charge also?

I thought you had to disconnect the +'ve side of the battery or you'd cause a problem with the alternator.

13. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I never have diconnected the positive side - nor have I heard that you have to... It would be a low voltage maintenance trickle so you will be fine... Plus if you had to disconnect - you would have to take the front wheel off to do that - and even Ferrari wouldn't have you go through that :)

Hope that helps...

Rich

14. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    The question as to where the battery lies has been answered. As the owner of several exotics over the years, I know these cars have "vampire" electronics that will run your battery down in three weeks or so. t is essential that you get a good battery protector by Allstate or Exide and hard wire the connection to your battery so you don't have to remove a wheel or a panel. I have my 360 set up this way and all I have to do when I get home is make the connection and plug it in. This very cold winter has made this system a must, and I have not had one single battery problem.