Daytona Rebuild | FerrariChat

Daytona Rebuild

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by TimRoper, May 1, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    #1 TimRoper, May 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My Daytona didn't look too bad, a couple of rust blisters but nothing that a respray would't fix. However once we took the paint off all sorts of bodged up corrosion became apparent and now she lies stripped bare, in the body shop, for a total rebuild including a new front and rear end! See attached pictures. She should be magnificent when rebuilt, as good as when she left Modena in the 1970's. Moral of the story, Daytona - Caveat emptor.

Will post more pictures as the project progresses.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. maximilian.szwaj

Nov 10, 2003
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Maximilian Szwaj
    Tim,
    thank you for your post. I will follow this one very closely. My car is in good shape but this year I hope to go through it with a fine tooth comb. She was repainted once, changing the original colour for red. I hope I do not have any rust (California car) but you never know.
    I wish you good luck.
    Keep the pictures coming.
    Maximilian.

3. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    Looks like you are in deep. Obviously these cars are a can of worms. All I can say is enjoy the ride and do it right. I am in the middle of a restoration myself that started with what I thought was a simple oil leak.

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Good luck! Please keep posting.

5. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Tim,

All I can say is WOW!

Is this an extreme case of "while you are at it" syndrome? As in: while you are fixing those bubbles, lets see if it needs anything else...

I wish you the best of luck, fortunately the rise in prices should keep you from going under water in the restoration.

Regards,

Art S.

6. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
  7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Good to see you are being thorough. As Niel Young said "Rust never sleeps".

Oh, and have them put the steering on the proper side while at it.

8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Tim, what shop have you chosen to carry out the restoration, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks.

Jack

9. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    #9 TimRoper, May 4, 2006
    Deary deary me.
    Rust in the chassis outriggers, rust in the windscreen bottom channel corner, rust underneath the vertical bracing in the engine compartment. We have decided to completely strip the car, including taking out the gearbox so we can shot blast and zinc spray the chassis when it has been repaired. Thats the good news! the bad news is that I'm not getting her back till next year.

Jack, the body shop has been appointed by Bob Houghton, who is running the job and is a guy called Mike Osgood. He works out of a unit on Bruntingthorpe Areodrome and was the workshop manager at ferrari u.k, He has got a facinating collection of photos of cars he has previously worked on at ferrari u.k, including competion daytonas, some of which I will try and get posted here. They are restoring a vulcan bomber in the main hanger at the areodrome which is awsome to behold.

Tim

10. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

For comparison purposes, take a peek at the Dino restoration on the 206/246 forum.

Mark

11. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    Paul

Thanks for offer of posting the photos on the daytona register but it takes me an age to post them here. Perhaps you could put a post on the register with a link to here.

Tim

12. MarkL

MarkL Karting
    Owner

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    #12 MarkL, May 4, 2006
    Tim,

I feel your pain.

I embarked on a similar odyssey 3 years ago and am only now nearing the end. The places a Daytona can rust is unbelievable. You were smart to remove the fiberglass cockpit to acess the metal outrigers. Most of the sound insulation used absorbed moisture and held it. Make sure that they remove the rear wheel liners as more insulation is sandwiched there as well and if it hasn't rusted yet.....it will. Good luck and bring lots of $$. This is not for the faint of heart but amazing to see when it all goes back together again.

Mark

13. neilmac

neilmac Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Oakville, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Tim, thank you so much for sharing this with us. The Daytona is my favourite Ferrari, and your car is lovely (and will be even more so, soon).

I'm intrigued by the front end in your first picture - the car seems to have an extra chrome strip atop the bumpers. What's the story there, please?

Thanks,

Neil

14. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Memo to self:
    Do not buy a car coming from places they use salt on the roads.

15. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Many years back the second owner of my Daytona (who owned it for 29 years) went crazy with rust preventative efforts. He coated the entire underside with this waxy oily sort of goo that dries pliable but hard and apparently does a great job preventing rust. He injected it EVERYWHERE. I bet it added 50lb to the weight of the car!

I have thought hard about removing it all from the visible surfaces underneith and painting them back to satin black but looking at these photos has me rethinking that!

Despite all his efforts, I still had to have a rust spot repaired a while back. The metal tube running back from the drivers side rear cockpit carrying the cable for the trunk release runs VERY close to the outer metal quarter panel. To prevent metal to metal rubbing and its noise, a bit of insulation was shoved between the two parts. This of course absorbed moisture and despite all the rust proofing over a 20 year period or so managed to rust through. Bo Pirkle did an amazing job fixing it and matching the paint to perfection.

My car developed this bit of rust despite the fact it has lead a very sheltered life here in GA, it has had fanatical rust prevention efforts, its almost never been driven in the rain and never any salt on the roads. A true "rust free" Daytona as in never having ever had any rust? Im not sure thats even possible.

Terry

16. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    Thanks for the various feedback on where your daytonas have rusted, I can confirm that mine has indeed gone in all those same places.

I must say that this has got me to thinking what is the best treatment to prevent it hapening again once all the corrosion has been cut out and relaced? I remember an old story about someone drilling holes in the sills / outriggers of an old car, pouring a pint of engine oil in, then taking the car for a spot of spirited driving to coat the inside!

Any experience of effective rust prevention?

Neil, don't know where the extra strip of front chrome came from. The car was ordered originally with those flashable (switch in cockpit) side lights as a factory extra so maybe thats got something to do with it.

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The material TSpringer refers to sounds like Ziebart, to me......I had a friend who applied it, it is indeed a wax polymer, but looks a lot like undercoating, they would drill into all receeses of a new car in an effort to reach nooks and crannies..then plug the holes, you could see them in door jambs and rocker rails....

Hot dip galvanizing is best, IMO followed be spray on cold zinc applications.

Maybe some industrial finishing gurus can chime in with other options... of course look at it this way, it's gone this far on little factory prep, whatever you do will no doubt be better!

Leave out all that sound deadening, it sounds like!

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The Ziebart was melted hot and sprayed with a wand/nozzle...then the car, on a lift, dripped off and cured, all the excess ran into floor grates and was reheated and reclaimed....interesting process.

They then offered a Rust Warranty.......handy to have on the Gulf Coast of Texas.....it wasn't 100% effective IMO, but helped greatly in areas like windshield surrounds, door and rocker panels and lower fenders where moisture tends to get trapped.

19. billb

billb Formula Junior
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 4, 2001
    Shorewood, IL
    Full Name:
    Bill Badurski
    In response to those who've asked how to change the heater box hoses, see photo 2!

Seriously, this is an amazing project with photos that are both invaluable and seldom seen. Thanks for sharing this with fellow Daytona nuts.

20. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Ziebart or a similar process may be correct. Without doubt it was sprayed on with a flexible extension or such because its present in all sorts of nooks and crannys it otherwise could never reach.

In all the impossible to reach or see areas where it is (I have gone over every place on the car that can be viewed with a flexible bore scope) I am happy to have it present and do not wish to remove it. The stuff has done a great job so far, why mess up a good thing? But in areas that are visible under the car I may remove it and repaint the frame members and such satin black.

PLEASE: keep posting photos as the project progresses!

Terry

21. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I visited Scaglietti in the "Lusso" era, and was surprised to see the fender panels sitting outside in the rain. After they acquired a coat of rust, they were assembled on a jig, then the outside was sanded and painted. The inside started life with a coat of rust! By the time of the Daytona, I think things had improved, but one does wonder. Even then, these were hand-built cars, with all that implies.

22. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Even in the 1980s fender panels were still sitting outside in the rain at Scaglietti's in downtown Modena. Check out my photographs I took at the factory 25 years ago, the thread is named, I think: "FACTORY PHOTOS 25 YEARS AGO". It's in the model specific, 308/328/Mondial section.
    Marcel Massini

23. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    #23 TimRoper, May 4, 2006
    The rear end is now off and destined for the scrapper. Apparently the inner glass fibre wheel arches and rear bulkheads were fitted to the car (chassis) first when originally built by Scaglietti, and the metal outer panels then fitted over these with the inner metal lip formed over the glass fibre edge to hold it all together. A bit of a moisture trap methinks. You can see the original fibre glass inners still on the car in the photo now the metal rear end is off.

Tim

24. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    One of the best, for sure!

Jack

25. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    Tim, if you send just the jpg's to me at [email protected] I'll do the rest. Does that work for you? Paul