GTO owned by 70 year old woman? | FerrariChat

GTO owned by 70 year old woman?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Teenferrarifan, Apr 19, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Guys recently I heard about an original GTO owned by a 70 year old woman, and she drives the car!? Is this true? What else can someone tell me about her car?
    Erik

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #2 Marcel Massini, Apr 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    #3647 GT, Sandra McNeil of Bayport/NY, owns it since 1967. Don't know if she is now 70 years or not. Here are some pix I took a few years ago at Laguna Seca.
    COPYRIGHT MARCEL MASSINI
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    You could be talking about GTO number 11 owned by Jim and Sandy McNeill. Jim bought it in 1967 for $7000. He also owned a Cal Spider he got after graduating college. That one he bought in a used car joint on Queens Blvd. in NYC for $5000 instead of the Corvette his dad had suggested. They live in Long Island and she races it pretty much every weeked during the season.
    Yale

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Pictures ?

5. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    Jim and Sandy aren't quite in their seventies yet. We will all be there some day. They do drive and enjoy there car and it participates in at least two vintage races a year. It will be on display at KTR during their dyno day May 6.

zygomatic and ronfrohock like this.
  6. bobleb

bobleb Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Bob Lebenson
    I hope you're right! :)

7. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    See post #2.

8. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Awesome thanks guys! Mr. Massini the car appears very original. Can I assume it has never been restored? I hope they keep it that way, but that is a topic for another thread.
    Erik

9. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    AFAIK it hasn't been restored. As can be seen from my pix it has some patina.
    Marcel Massini

10. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It looks good to me!!! :) thanks for posting the pics
    Erik

11. FerrariStuff.com

FerrariStuff.com Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    #11 FerrariStuff.com, Apr 19, 2006
    It did sustain "some" damage in its early racing career though...

Texas Forever and showme1946 like this.
  12. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    That looks like the Carrousel at the Nürburgring....

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

The fate of so many race cars. Makes me chuckle when originality is talked about. In a sense, most of them were restored. Some cars several times, but I agree some patina like #11 has makes them look right. Proper race car should not look like a Barbie doll.

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    The car flipped twice both times in the same exact spot! I believe that it happened in England. There are additional photos posted on the More Old Photos thread.

Texas Forever likes this.
  15. dbcooper

dbcooper Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2005
    Costa Mesa,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Tim Romero
    This a a bit off topic but I used to find this amusing.Around 1989 or so I was fixing Mitsubishi's at the Cerritos auto square,During my lunch breaks I would cruise to nearby Lakewood or possibly Bellflower for fine dining opportunities .On numerous occasions I came across a rather old,very grey haired woman driving around in a white with primer spotted 1954 corvette.It appeared to me that she must have been living out of the car.There were clothes and boxes and what not stacked to the ceiling in the passenger seat.while it was rough it was all there.Even then it was a desirable car and I used to imagine that more than one person tried to buy it from here.It was over a period of approx. 2 years that I used to see her and I saw her fairly often.I wonder where it is now?Maybe she was burried in it. Tim

16. Tony Miller

Tony Miller Rookie

Jan 27, 2006
    Around 1956 I was standing at a hot dog stand in Westwood Village (WLA, CA) when a woman pulled up to the corner and turned, stopping long enough for the visual impression to burn itself on my retinas.

She was driving a bright yellow Ferrari comp roadster -- maybe a Monza -- and wearing a yellow helmet with the wraparound eye shield like Hawthorn. A friend of mine has confirmed this sighting -- knew the woman's name, although I don't remember it -- and told me that she was the original owner, had bought the car for the street, and that it had never been on a race track.

17. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Mrs Willamenta Keck Day of Beverly Hills/CA, family oil business Superior Oil, in her yellow 375 MM Spider Pinin Farina S/N 0460 AM, see also cover of "Road & Track" magazine, issue of November 1955. Car is still in the Day family today with Theodore J. Day, usually stored in Reno/NV. See also "Cavallino" magazine issue #69 of June/July 1992.
    Marcel Massini

ryalex and showme1946 like this.
  18. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    they made a very good placement buying this GTO into 67.

19. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Jim's a real "car guy" and Sandra is a hell of a shoe! You should see her drive the 289 Cobra!

The patina is wonderful and it's fortunate for us that they like "sharing" such a great car with us on the track.

-Peter

20. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    do you have a pic sn 0460 ?
    so there s many woman who drives GTO, Nick Mason wife amongst other things. There s also a woman, but i don t remenber her name, in 60-70 she drives very well and participated in many race.

21. Tony Miller

Tony Miller Rookie

Jan 27, 2006
    That would be the one. Thanks! (but R&T Nov '55 has an MGA on the cover)

22. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's the yellow 375MM with a green leather interior....supposedly, she could duck under the gate crossarms of the studios/neighborhoods of the day.......

THAT's a lady!

Thanks also for the info, I agree the windshield corner looks exactly right with the assembly effort reflected , and a few chips.

C'mon Jack Habits, that'll buff right out! I dented the roof on mine just the other day.....well, maybe not that bad....

23. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #23 SefacHotRodder, May 1, 2006
    E60 M5 likes this.
  24. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Marcel, isn't the Day car the one that had the green interior and was misjudged at a car show years ago as to the green interior not being original? Regards, Vern

25. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    12 August 1973 at the 23rd Pebble Beach Concours. Car shown by Matt Day. Judges considered the yellow EXTERIOR color as not appropriate for a Ferrari.
    Rules have changed since.
    Marcel Massini

showme1946 likes this.