308 QV hesitating under accelaration | FerrariChat

308 QV hesitating under accelaration

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by davebuchner, May 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    I have tried searching this thread and have seen some suggestions, but not sure how to best describe what I am looking for in the search...

The last week or two my 308 QV has been hesitating while accelerating. If you are pulling off it hesitates around 1500 - 2000 rpm for a split second (maybe 1/2 a second) or so and then is okay from 3000 upwards. I feels almost like it cant get enough fuel, or is missing a beat. It doesnt seem to make a difference if it is warm or cold.

There are no problems above 3000, so dont think it is a faulty plug or distributor (wouldnt that be progressively worse with higher revs?)

My mechanic suggested the fuel filter, but that was changed 3 months ago. He can only take a look at her next week and I wondered if there may be a quick fix someone had tried. I did run her tanks quite low last month (not empty but about 2/3 through the reserve), dont know if that could have picked up residue. The HT leads all look good, and have never given problems, the plugs are 3 months old, and a dud would have shown up by now.

Because its only at one part of the rev range I dont know what to think..
    Any ideas?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    IMO it would be a very unusual fuel filter problem if it works OK at 3~5K RPM, but has a problem at just 1500-2000 RPM.

Are you saying that the problem is only present if the engine is also under load (i.e., if stationary, and just gently increasing the engine RPM, does the problem occur)?

And please confirm your version -- is it a standard (aka euro) 308QV? (K-Jet without Lambda?)

3. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Yes it is a euro qv. The problem is only under load, at about 2000 rpm there is a period of jerkiness and hesitation before the engine gets momentum going and then its fine.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    OK, based on your "only under load" report (i.e., only during a high intake manifold absolute pressure condition), I would first make sure that the small intake vacuum lines going from the intake system to the Warm-up Regulator and to the Ignition ECU(s) are in good shape, properly connected, and are actually presenting a vacuum at no-load idle.

(Assuming that it's not something as simple as a bad vacuum line/connection -- and it hardly ever is ;)) Both of these gizmos are supposed to change their behavior based on the intake manifold pressure:

The Warm-Up Regulator should add enrichment (i.e., change the control pressure going to Fuel Distributor) when the intake manifold pressure increases -- so this is something that really would require using the K-Jet pressure gauge set-up to confirm/deny (and IMO this is the most likely suspect based on the information so far).

The Ignition ECUs use different timing vs RPM maps for different intake pressures (but I would think that a "wrong" map would be more "sluggish" or "pingy" rather than cause an RPM dependent "stumble").

Just some suggestions -- let us know how it works out...

5. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I have no idea what it is, but I do have a few questions to help others diagnose it:

Does it happen in all gears (well, 1st and 2nd at least)?

Does it matter if the car is hot or cold?

Does it happen every time or just sometimes under load?

Is it RPM related; i.e. if you are going 60 MPH in a higher gear and then downshift and gun it to redline, will it do the same thing or is it only at low RPMs?

It sounds electrical to me; a fault with your ignition perhaps?

Ken

6. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Thanks for your input, guys. tr91 it seems the vacuum sysytem is the place to start. I know a few months ago I had a problem where it was cutting out when warm and you came to a rest . My mechanic seemed to sort it with adjusting the vacuum system.

Ken: Seems to be accross the gears I have noticed it in 1st 2nd and 3rd so far.
    Hot vs Cold doesnt make a difference.
    Have only noticed it under load, sitting in the garage revving it is fine, accelarating through the gears is where its happening.

It seems to be RPM related it occurs more-or-less in the same rev range in each gear.

7. Matt Morgan, "Kermit"

Matt Morgan, "Kermit" Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Ferndale, WA
    I would suggest checking the hose that goes from the throttle body to the lower part of the WUR (control pressure reguator). This line give the regulator a manifold vacuum reading, so it can adjust fuel accordingly. Look for splits, or cracks, as they will give the regulator a false reading, thus causing the wrong fuel input. The upper hose is for altitude monitoring, and wont make a lot of differance. All hoses, gaskets, etc must be sealed in order for the Bosch system to work properly, as a leak can give the distributor a false reading on how much fuel to give. Air sneaking in leaks will not move the flapper, which meters the fuel according to air flow. HTH.

8. wolftalk

wolftalk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    san franciso area
    Full Name:
    phil
    are their any ways to test the vacuum related stuff at idle? For example, sticking a vacuum gauge on one of the plenum ports or using a hand vacuum pump to change the vacuum to the WUR or the ECU.

What's a typical vacuum value at idle?

How about a smoke test...I assume you shove the smoke into the throttle body with the throttle plate held open and see if/where it comes out. I don't know if a smoke tester can be gotten cheaply enough to make it a viable tool for home use.

9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Here's an old standby check for vacuum leaks, it's based on the fact that vacuum leaks lean out the mixture:

Put an extension tube on the head of a can of starting fluid. With the engine ldling, spray a puff of ether on the vacuum ends, & anywhere else you suspect the leak might be.

When you hit the leak, the engine will run smoothly long enough to notice as the starting fluid will richen the mixture.

Be careful to not spray a big fog as it can confuse your test results, and more importantly, it's very flammable.

10. wolftalk

wolftalk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    san franciso area
    Full Name:
    phil
    hi verell,

in your experience, is the lamda circuit fast enough to compensate for adding start spray or other combustable gas into the intake so you wouldn't notice it that much.

In other words, do you recommend disconnecting the O2 sensor when searching for vacuum leaks that way?

11. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Umm, good question.

I've successfully used the test on other cars with L-Jet & Motronic EGI & it worked fine, those systems run closed loop lambda at idle.)

My K-jet experience is with Euros that don't have lambda.
    My guess is yes as the K-jet has enough mechanical elements in the control loop that I'd expect it's response to be slower than the all electronic systems.

Of course you have to be having some rough/uneven idling due to the leak to start with. The uneven idling would mean that the leak is either outside the ability of the lambda circuit to correct, or else is causing the circuit to hunt for a stable point.

12. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Hi there

Thansak for all your suggestions. Being not that mechanically minded, I thought my mechanic should look at it to get the problem diagnosed and sorted quick.

It seems the problem(s) were easy enough ones to put right. The hesitation it was mostly due to a pair of sticking rear calipers and not fuel systems related. It was why once the revs got up it could overcome the resistance, I suppose.

But also the engine seemed to be running a bit 'lumpy', with the odd missed beat. My mechanic cleaned out the distributor cap and rotors, put in new plugs and she is running smooth again.

Surprised though the last set of plugs went in 16 months ago, I havent seen the state of the ones he pulled, whether they are badly fouled or what, but what is the recommended time between changing plugs?

Just in time too, have a track day this Saturday.

13. John Harry

John Harry Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2005
    Pittsburgh PA
    Full Name:
    John Harry
    My ’83 Owner’s Manual recommends replacing the plugs every 30,000 miles (48,000 km) under normal conditions, or every 15,000 miles (24,000 km) for severe duty. My trusted mechanic told me every 30,000 miles should be fine.