[250 GT?] Request For Picture Help For A Book | FerrariChat

[250 GT?] Request For Picture Help For A Book

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by j3studio, May 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. j3studio

j3studio Karting

May 2, 2006
    Bryn Mawr, PA
    Full Name:
    John Mulhern III
    Greetings from the Corvette world!

I'm working on a book about a trip that my wife and I took around the United States last April. The operative paragraph that I need help with is:

"This kind of automotive eye candy continued throughout the morning as we headed northwest up along the Pacific Coast Highway. In Malibu, we stopped for fuel just before noon at a Shell along the highway. One pump over from us was a fellow filling up his black Ferrari 250 GT as if there was nothing remotely abnormal about driving this formerly fabulously expensive and now ridiculously expensive 1960s classic in busy California traffic. I was so stunned I failed to take any pictures!"

I'm not expert in Ferraris (though I _very_ much appreciate them), so I'd appreciate some contextual help.

1) Was it likely that what I saw was actually a 250 GT? It was definitely a Ferrari (prancing horse on the grill), definitely black :), and a coupe...

2) Does anybody have any non-copyrighted pictures of a black 250 GT coupe that I could use (I will, of course, credit appropriately) ?

3) Is there anything about the quoted paragraph that is glaringly wrong to a Ferrari person?

Thanks in advance for your help...

2. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    I don't know much about vintage Ferraris but I will answer.
    First, welcome to Fchat, stay a while :)

1) Was it likely that what I saw was actually a 250 GT? It was definitely a Ferrari (prancing horse on the grill), definitely black :), and a coupe...
    They cost at least $1 million ($4 million for the spyder) I believe so it is hard to imagine one being driven on the road casually (although that's what I plan to do if I ever get one). They are extremely rare so I think it is more likely that it was another Ferrari that you mistook for a 250 GT. Then again, it is Malibu, so you never know. I for one am just getting into vintage Ferraris and get all the older models mixed up. For the purposes of your book you should probably just say it was, or pick another model - who's checkin? :)

2) Does anybody have any non-copyrighted pictures of a black 250 GT coupe that I could use (I will, of course, credit appropriately) ?
    No :( Too bad you didn't take any! They are so beautiful, my 2nd favorite Ferrari, and it would help clarify question #1

3) Is there anything about the quoted paragraph that is glaringly wrong to a Ferrari person?
    They were built in the late 1950s not the 1960s. Some might be offended by "ridiculously" expensive - I don't think it's ridiculous at all! They deserve to be so expensive :) I'm not offended by it but some may be, I don't know.

Good luck with your book! Let us know when it is finished

3. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    could we get more information on the car you´ve seen ?
    there are lots of 250 ! was it a PF Coupe, a Lusso, Boano, Europa, MM, or????
    of course i have a lot of black 250 pics - but what car was it ?
    besides the originals there are lots of replicas - so how can we get the correct pic ?
    what plates ?

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Could always be a GTE, too.

5. j3studio

j3studio Karting

May 2, 2006
    Bryn Mawr, PA
    Full Name:
    John Mulhern III
    It's funny how some of concerns are the same for the Corvettes, but than there's the OMG stuff, like folks in the Testarossa sections talking matter-of-factly about the engine removal for service...

True, but I love to get _everything_ right. :)

It looked a _lot_ like the car in this thread:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86199

...but perhaps memory fades. I am sure it was an upright coupe and not a fastback.

Gotcha...the reason I was stunned was that I couldn't believe what I thought I was seeing was actually on the road.

Thanks...we're in fact checking and filling out some incomplete parts...it has been a non-trivial exercise...

6. j3studio

j3studio Karting

May 2, 2006
    Bryn Mawr, PA
    Full Name:
    John Mulhern III
    It did look a lot like this car - except black:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86199

- I didn't catch the plates...

7. MJarrettR

MJarrettR Formula 3

Apr 14, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jarrett Rothmeier
    #7 MJarrettR, May 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In all likihood it was probably a 250GT Coupe from 1958-60. This is not a million dollar car, but is nonetheless very valuable, today worth easily over $100,000, depending on the condition/quality of the car. I do not have a pictures of a black 250GT Coupe, but I have seen a black 250GT Ellena, which is a similar body. Picture below taken at the Lime Rock FHC in 2005.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. j3studio

j3studio Karting

May 2, 2006
    Bryn Mawr, PA
    Full Name:
    John Mulhern III
    Jarrett,

That's very close - the tail definitely looks similiar. I think I'll post over in Showroom, now that I have a more specific request.

Thanks to all who have helped in this thread!

9. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    #9 ArtS, May 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr

i think you must contact Etienne he got a large large gallery of pics, give him
    a PM or see him in FCF french communauty.
    the pics are very nice believe me.

11. j3studio

j3studio Karting

May 2, 2006
    Bryn Mawr, PA
    Full Name:
    John Mulhern III
    Thanks, Christian!