Return of the Urge! 575M calling... | FerrariChat

Return of the Urge! 575M calling...

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Dan_London, Apr 27, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dan_London

Dan_London Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Chaps,

Help me! I'm feeling the need to return to Ferrari ownership!!

I've suffered nearly two years without one and now find myself carefully watching the 575M market on Autotrader.

Some of you may remember that my previous Ferrari experience ended in considerable tears with my 456 wrapped around a bridge in Guildford and my left leg far shorter...

I've had a Merc SL500 since then, which is a great car, but a bit underwhelming - no sense of drama as I approach it, fairly soft handling. The sensible option would be to upgrade to an SL55, but somehow I just can't get excited about the prospect.

The prospect of a 575 on the otherhand considerably excites me! It has to be a 575 rather than a 550 as I need the F1 gearbox, owing to my leg situation, but as the heavy clutch and gearchange on the 456 were the things I hated most about the car I don't see that as a huge sacrifice. That said, is the F1 gearbox as bad as auto journos constantly suggest? Is parking really a nightmare?

So, does anyone have any 575 buying advice, or know of a 575 buyers guide anywhere? Think I heard a rumour that the side windows can be a problem like on the 456? Also does anyone know whether TDF Blue was available on the 575? I've seen plenty of 550s in that colour but no 575s; Grigio Titanio, Argento, Nero and Rosso seem to prevail on the later car.

Cheers for any advice!
    Dan

2. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Understand the problem. I have recently sold my 355 spider and am now feeling a sense of loss/isolation that is proving very difficult to come to terms with. My hunt is probably headed in the direction of a 550, so can't offer much advice re 575s specifically. Do a search though as there are lots of buyers guide threads out there for the 550 at least. As there are many similarities between the 550 and 575, this info will prove useful. Obvious exception being things like F1 transmission.

Re colours - 575 was available in TDF Blue... and it looks fab in that colour.

3. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Dan

I have a TdF 575, there's a Pozzi blue one for sale on Pistonheads at the moment, not heard of the Window problem on 575's although my 550 did suffer, in the short time I've had the 575 it's been perfect! the F1 box takes a while to get used to but once you are there it is brilliant, it's the primary reason I went from a 550 to 575 :)

4. Dan_London

Dan_London Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Subirg - thanks I'll do that, great news about the TDF, it's the best colour for a 575.

Mark - your car is perfect! Absolutely beautiful. I found a link on another thread to your website and spent ages gazing at your baby! What colour is your interior? Looks much nicer than tan, which can look very mustardy.

Sadly the Pistonheads Pozzi one is a manual, otherwise at that price it would be a steal. Am I right in thinking it's darker than yours?

Do you have the FHP? Seems to be considered a must-have on a 575 but I'd never use mine on a track and would prefer the car to be comfortable on potholed Sussex roads, so I'm thinking I should avoid it...

5. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Highly recommend you do your homework on FHP, search around here, its a must have in my book. It brings the suspension close to a stock 550 without FHP. Otherwise the car will porpoise at any decent speeds. Its not good without FHP (not to be confused with GTC, thats a different beast).

How can you not like the F1 in this car? Its awesome!

6. 575M-Nero

575M-Nero Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2006
    F1 in 575M is just fine.
    Parking is easy enough.

Do rec the FHP if you can locate.
    TDF was common enough in the States. Hard to get TDF with Cuoio, most had Tan interiors which isn't my fave color on the 575 interior.

7. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Dan

FHP is essential or at least look for a non FHP car but with the FHP ECU and software, this is an excellent compromise and was fitted by Ferrari for owners if they complained of the soft ride. My interior is tan (well I think it is!) the pics probably show it a bit lighter, you might want to try and find one with Sabia Leather I think that's a bit less yellow and more like the pics on my website

Yes Pozzi Blue is darker and non metallic (tbh it's a bit dull IMHO)

8. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2005
    South Texas
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #8 TrojanHorse, Apr 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Almost any F Car looks good in TdF but IMO the 550/575 look simply fantastic :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Garyh

Garyh Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    owned 456 until 1/1/2004 when changed to Nero 575M F1 with FHP,19" wheels,black/bordeax interior. Absolutely fabulous car, driven to Le Mans (indicated 190 mph & rock steady) , would thoroughly recommend. Parking not a problem , box is fine if you learn to use it properly.
    Now thinking of changing but problem is what too after 7000 pleasure filled miles!

10. Dan_London

Dan_London Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Thanks for all the advice gentlemen, esp. delighted that the owners seem so pleased with their cars! No horror stories have come my way, though the chap in EVO magazine seems to be spending very heavily on basic bits for his 550 lately...£3,700 for a service and front pads? I thought £1,400 for a clutch on my 456 was bad enough...

The only thing I'm a little nervous of is the depreciation as 599 deliveries start. Buying next year would be far preferable for that reason.

I'll be looking to start viewing cars in about eight weeks time, so if anybody hears of a TDF F1 example going for about £80K, I'd love to hear about it.

Gary - why the thoughts of changing?

Dan

11. Garyh

Garyh Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    not really a sensible answer for that really Dan! Had it two years and suppose i really fancy something different for a while, although when i drive it , like today , i think do i really want to cahnge! Key to it i suppose is i would love similar experience that i could use everyday which really leaves a Gallardo as the only option. Living in the sticks find that rwd plus 515 bhp & wet lanes is no fun , if i lived in a dryer climate wouldnt be worried but just dont get enough days to use it!

12. Argento

Argento Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Argentium
    Hey Dan,

Chack this beautiful car out, It's not TDF (Nero Met) - which I think is better colour anyway !!!

http://www.midland-ferrari.co.uk/bigpic.asp?id=176&img=1

Bought my 1st 550 from these guys, They are very good and easy to talk to...

Good luck,

Argento

13. Dan_London

Dan_London Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Thanks Argento,

Sadly black is my third least favourite colour on a 575 (no guesses for the least!) since they only look good the day you clean and polish them, though they do look totally stunning then.

Order of pref is TDF, Grigio Titanio, Grigio Alloy, Argento, Nero. I wouldn't consider red or yellow <shudder>...

Dan

14. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    You are not wrong.
    There was a yellow 550 posted up on this forum a while back - not suprisingly only one or two are in the UK. No doubt in years to come this will be trumpeted by a dealer as a rare colour combination that demands a premium blah blah blah...

15. Argento

Argento Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Argentium
    You mean like this one that's been up for 6 month's +

http://www.castlemotors.com/searchFS.htm

I wouldn't buy it, but I don't think it looks that bad, Does it?

16. Dan_London

Dan_London Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Dan
  17. Argento

Argento Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Argentium
    The 250 GT look quilted rear shelf was a pricey and, at the time, desirable optional extra !

Argento

18. Porsche356

Porsche356 Rookie

Apr 15, 2006
    Mark,
    I have not heard the F1 described as "brilliant". Can you give me some insight into using the F1 in city traffic. What techniques do you use to make the F1 work properly? Do you see any disadvantages to the F1 setup? I am considering purchase of a car...and am concerned about how appropriate the F1 would be for everyday use. Would appreciate any comments you or others would have.

19. 575M-Nero

575M-Nero Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2006
    Just a note that it can take up to 2200 miles to break in an F1 clutch. Smoother 1st/2nd gear starts after general break-in and break-in to owner's driving technique.

20. Dickhead

Dickhead Rookie

May 9, 2006
    "Sadly the Pistonheads Pozzi one is a manual" . . .

Arghh! "Sadly"? [shaking head uncomprehendingly . . .]

21. Dan_London

Dan_London Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Dan
    If you'd bothered to read the whole thread you'd know that I lost my left leg in a crash in my 456, so a manual car is not an option for me.

'Dickhead' huh?