348 front plate mount | FerrariChat

348 front plate mount

Discussion in '348/355' started by Durpen, May 3, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Durpen

Durpen Karting

Sep 6, 2005
    South of Boston, USA
    Full Name:
    Kirk N
    I live in Massachusetts which requires a front mounted license plate (as well as a rear plate of course).
    I just bought a 348 Spider. The car doesn't have provisions for a front plate. I called Lee at Algar and he said that Ferrari doesn't list any part numbers for front plate mounting for USA cars.
    Has anyone had to mount a front plate on a 348?
    I tried going without a front plate on another car that I own but I couldn't get a state inspection without it.
    I can make some type of mount, but it would be easier to buy something.
    Thank you,
    Kirk

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I wouldn't put it on until you get popped for not having it.

3. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Kirk, Congratulations! Look forward to seeing the Ferrari! You do need a front plate to pass MA state inspection. I use black nylon tie-wraps to the grill. Cut and trim so they are not noticeable. Pass inspection and remove.

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think he has to mount the plate to get his tags. In California we usually just wait till we get a $10 "fix-it" ticket and then rig something up temporarily to comply with the violation.

5. T-A Tech

T-A Tech Rookie

Sep 16, 2005
    Western Massachusett
    Full Name:
    Jim Burke
    #5 T-A Tech, May 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The State and local police have tended to be real buttholes out here in Western Mass. when it comes to the front plate. BTW, it believe it is a moving violation, which carries points.

I ended up drilling two small (3/16") holes through the lower edge of the spoiler. Then bought a BMW aluminum frame (no BMW logo), and mounted two rubber bumpers in the top holes where it rests against to bumper. Though-bolted with stainless on the bottom. Looks OK, better than on the grill, IMHO. I found two flat-black plastic caps at an Autozone that can be put in the holes should I ever take it off. See pic.

Jimbo
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. PhilMc

PhilMc Rookie

Apr 26, 2006
    South London
    #6 PhilMc, May 3, 2006
    Hi Kirk,

As I'm sure you know, all UK cars have to carry a plate by law, so there must be something available to fit the 348, it would just then be a case of modding the plate to fit.

Also, in the UK, a lot of plates are like vynal decals - could you get something made up to match to get your papers sorted?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    As all Canadian cars have front plates I'm sure the local F dealer can order the part for you.
    All the parts I've ordered from the dealer in Canada come from California.

8. 92_348ts

92_348ts Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2002
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Kirk-Congrats on your new car. When I purchased my car from Ferrari of Denver it had a front plate mount which they told me was original equipment. It looked fine, however I'm not big on front plates so I took it off. Anyway, if you want to PM me I can send you some pics and maybe we can work something out.

Chris

9. pmorin

pmorin Karting

May 14, 2004
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    P. Morin
    Except in Quebec!

:)

10. Durpen

Durpen Karting

Sep 6, 2005
    South of Boston, USA
    Full Name:
    Kirk N
    Ernie and John, I think I'm going to see how long I can get away with not having the front plate on the car. If Jim is correct, it may not be for long.
    I'll do as you did John, wire tie it on for the state inspection.
    Chris has a bracket, so I have asked him for a picture, maybe I'll buy it, just in case. Phil, our plates (USA) are much narrower. Ferrari does list european plate brackets.

Thank you for the responses everybody.
    Kirk

P.S, John - Its going to be about 3 weeks before I get the car, but it would be fun to get together after that... lets stay in touch!

11. Topgun T/S 38

Topgun T/S 38 Karting

Jun 17, 2005
    Cincy, Oh
    Full Name:
    Dan
    In Ohio you have to have a front plate as well. I ordered a replacement grill direct from Ferrari ($90). It looks like chit but at least I don't get pulled over all the time for not having one.

12. pedro.maia

pedro.maia Karting

Feb 9, 2006
    Porto - Portugal
    Full Name:
    Pedro Maia
    #12 pedro.maia, May 4, 2006
  13. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    zip ties will work for inspection. i just carry the front plate in my trunk .

14. Topgun T/S 38

Topgun T/S 38 Karting

Jun 17, 2005
    Cincy, Oh
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Ours has to be visible.

15. T-A Tech

T-A Tech Rookie

Sep 16, 2005
    Western Massachusett
    Full Name:
    Jim Burke
    In Mass. it also has to be "securely mounted" and an inspection station can fail you for having it ziptied. All parts of the plate must be visible and not obscured by the frame. Having it in the trunk or under the passenger seat won't cut it with a gung-ho trooper who's having a bad day at work.

Don't ask how I know ;-)

Like Topgun, I decided it wasn't worth the hassle not doing it the way the State wants it done. I mean, their only watching out for my welfare, right? :)

16. dan_west348ts

dan_west348ts Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Hollister, CA
    Full Name:
    Dan West
    I believe in California there are automatic wavers for exotics on the front plate. It is not a factory item. I've also seen vets and vipers with no front plates. I would not put one on my 348.

17. dan_west348ts

dan_west348ts Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Hollister, CA
    Full Name:
    Dan West
    The front plate is a place for the radar to fix onto so a cop can pop you with a speeding ticket.

18. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'm not aware of any waiver for exotics in California, but there is a provision in the motor vehicle code that a custom (vanity) license plate can be rear only. Any sequentially numbered plate must have both front and rear as far as I (and the officer that gave me my last fix-it ticket) know. Sorry, this doesn't help Durpen at all since this applies to California, but may be of interest to Cali F-chatters.

19. glpellegrino

glpellegrino Karting

Oct 21, 2005
    Eastern Mass
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I live in Mass. and have never had a front plate on my 348 or Carrera and have never been asked for one at an inspection or by law enforcement. I guess I'm glad they have other things to worry about.

I'm sure if I get stopped the topic will come up, until then...

20. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    1989 and '90 model 348's came with a front tag mounting plate attached to the front grill but it would cover the area where your Prancing Horse would go. I like T-A Tech's idea. It looks good.

21. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I hate that law. What's the point anyway? It's stupid stupid stupid. It ruins the whole look of the car...of any car really.

22. T-A Tech

T-A Tech Rookie

Sep 16, 2005
    Western Massachusett
    Full Name:
    Jim Burke
    Thanks, Tom. I was hesitant at first to post my personal solution. I figured I was gonna catch some stuff from the purists for 1.) monting a front plate in the first place, and 2.) drillling into the spoiler.

Not bashing the purists by any means. I agree with Traimpz - it's a stupid law. And it's enforced differently in different parts of the state. Unfortunately, in my area, they are real pric_s about it, unlike in glpellegrinos area out East. My spoiler has some nicks and a tiny crack which I'll eventually fix when I respray the nose, so drilling into it was not a hard decision.

23. Topgun T/S 38

Topgun T/S 38 Karting

Jun 17, 2005
    Cincy, Oh
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Yes, I agree. I went with the factory opt and lost my front horsey to a ugly azz plate.

24. dougburhyte

dougburhyte Karting

Dec 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Douglas Burhyte
    I found your post very interesting and was wondering if you know for certain this is a real provision or if it's just "folklore". All my cars have personalized plates mounted only at the rear and although I've never been stopped or ticketed for this, it would be most comforting to know that the provision you mention is indeed fact. Thanks!

25. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    Front number plates are mandatory in most states of Australia. Some vehicles don't have them, but these owners are risking getting pulled over by the constabulary and being heavily fined.
    Front plates can be enhancing if they are fitted in the most strategic position eg. personalised/colour coded plates.