Looking For 348 - Advice? Experiences? | FerrariChat

Looking For 348 - Advice? Experiences?

Discussion in '348/355' started by whyte, Apr 25, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whyte

whyte Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2006
    Merritt Island, FL
    Full Name:
    John C
    I'm a long time enthusiast ready to finally pick up a 348. I'm no stranger to working on cars or identifying problems, but I'd still like to lean on the community for some advice regarding a first purchase. Specifically, any dealers or cars making the rounds that I should avoid? Any "known" good cars for sale?

Any feedback or pointers will be cherished. I'm not sold on any particular body style; I'm just looking for a solid driver at a fair price.

Thanks in advance.

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

There is a cherry of a 348ts at SportAuto in Summerfield NC. www.sportauto.cc.

Ask N24RE (on Fchat) about it.

I have no affiliation with SportAuto, do basically no business with them, and have no vested interest in pushing a car on their behalf. It's a nice 348; period.

3. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    As a first Ferrari experience, my 348 Spider has proven to be a GREAT one!

I never was very fond of the side strakes or the rear tail light treatment (much prefer the styling of the 355) but ever since the first spin in the car....the first time taking it up over 4500 rpms and having the whole car come to life, the steering wheel a mere extension of my own hands, the way I could feel the engine's cadence in my veins, the way I felt every nook and cranny of the road beneath me - not harshness or vibration, but as if the tires were extensions of the soles of my shoes, the way the car responded instantly to any input given - whether it be throttle, steering, brakes, what have you, I was/am HOOKED!!!

I know that there are more powerful, beautiful, refined, and loved Ferrari's out there, but I tell you this...For the price of admission, you get one heck of an experience!!!

Ah heck, I believe I've just talked myself into a drive!!!!!

Good luck with your search, I'm sure the 348 brotherhood will share similar experiences.

Mike

4. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Oh yeah, my wife wants me to tell you ours is for sale...eh hem:

One Million Dollars!!!!

:)

5. Ski Guy 348

Ski Guy 348 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Jay M.
    I also have a Spider...LOVE IT!!! Over 100,000 miles and still going strong!!!

6. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    ....looking for a new parts guy....

7. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

That's just mean spirited. :)

8. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    naw...mean spirited is telling me what your cost was on my $157.00 wire :)

Giving out the car I wanna buy just plain sucks :):):)

9. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Hmm, advice and experience? Find someone you can lean on for PPI and technical assistance - and history on these cars is crucial. Fcars seem to attrack more half-truths and half-legit-dealers than any other business I've seen. I picked a 348 spider as my first Fcar and love it more with each drive - been a year now. I do believe buying a quality car up front will save you substantial grief and dollars down the road. Always assume the worst unless you have proof on paper.

I'd be ok with a car needing belts done, as long as it's not overdue, because then you can have your guy (or yourself) do the belts and whatever else needs to be done. I'm a little leery of these quick rebuilt belt changes that "might" be done just to get the car sold, when there could be other easy stuff to fix while the engine's out - now that you don't know about. Also quite a few cars had rumours of some relatively serious track damage repaired outside of insurance coverage. all sorts of stories.

I ended up buying from an authorized dealer and I'm very happy with the car.

there's quite a few private cars that are kind-of for sale, your local FCA club would probably have the most info on the 348's in your area.

10. ecoloqua

ecoloqua Karting

Mar 15, 2006
    Just bought my second one and it took me over 8 months to find it. The most important thing on a 348 is making sure that the car has been well serviced at all the recomended intervals. Run away from any car that hints at deffered maintenance or missing records.

"bringing a dirty Ferrari in to your mechanic is like going to the doctor to have your ass checked and not wiping it"

11. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    A 348 pre-purchase inspection template is here: http://webpages.charter.net/aircover/348/1994Ferrari348Spider.html

...as is your post-purchase prepping checklist (things that doing before your first drive will save you much grief-n-cash).

I like authorized Ferrari dealerships for piece of mind...exotic leasing companies (e.g. premier financial) for lowest price.

I do not personally care for Naples Motor sports and Euro Motor Sports, but that's just 1 guy's opinion. No dealership can please everyone, I realize (in all fairness).

Sport Auto and Wide World of Cars (WWoC) have the best reputations for "independent" shops. Ferrari of Atlanta does good sales interaction...Ferrari of Las Vegas not so good.

12. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I didn't really rate the 348 - but drove one during my search for a 328 and it was so much funnerer that I shook the sofa cushions for late spider money. My car wasn't pristine but I got it at the right price given the history (painted twice, once apparently some godforsaken color, then again back to original blu sera metallico), had some stuff I had to fix, and (touch wood) its been a champ ever since. I installed a Tubi and Hyperflow cats basically immediately after my purchase and love the sound and get compliments from my fellow Ferraristi on it as well. I love the manual steering as the wheel just dances in your hands as you drive and it is absolutely glorious through tunnels with the top down.

Yeah, I want some other F-cars but I will drive this one until it falls apart first - I love it.

Cheers
    Kevin

13. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    #13 VTChris, Apr 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    What he said! How can you not love the 348?? Reasnoable price, reasonable performance, All Out Exotic look. A Winner in my book
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    The 348 is a great choice for your first Ferrari. Most people will tell you to go for the later year 348's (post 1992). The handling is a bit squirrely on the earlier cars, but is easily adjusted with some spacers on the rear wheels. I have one of the earliest 348's made (NNO says it was the 35th produced), and have had very few problems. <y dad has a 1994 spider and has had more issues with his car. As far as places to search, try CCTOL.com, cars.com, DRCARS.com, and some of the local shops that are recommended here (sportauto.cc, etc...) If you find a car on Ebay that you like do not just bid it up there. I personally found my 348 on cars.com and it was a private owner sale that was just 20 miles from home. It is important to have full service records. I lucked out because I did not know this was important and was what would be considered an uninformed buyer. It turned out that the car I bought had been serviced by a great shop in South Florida and had service records from day 1. If you rush out to get a car before the summer you will likely run into either high prices or a car with problems. If you are willing to wait you will probably find better cars available for better prices in the fall / winter. You say you want the car for a reasonable price. What is the range you are considering?
    BT

15. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Very tidy 348 you have there brother :D

16. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #16 PAP 348, Apr 26, 2006
    I agree with all these boys. The 348 i bought as my 1st ferrari is fantastic. Had early clutch trouble,after 3 months ownership,but now is beautiful and a wonderful car to drive. It has 37,000km on the clock and drives like a brand new car :D Good to see you are doin your homework and looking into it before you buy and try and make sure you get a good,clean and tidy one,not a cheaper one,as you will be paying for it in the long run. :) Heres a pic of mine to wet your appetite some more ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. whyte

whyte Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2006
    Merritt Island, FL
    Full Name:
    John C
    Well, considering I've already received a few offers from some sellers on the boards, I'd probably be laying my cards down on the table if I answered that. 8)

In all seriousness, I'd buy the right car at the right price from $40k to $60k, so long as it was priced according to work required, mileage, condition, etc. I'm not one to shy away from a project, but I'm not going to pay a premium for a car that will require more fixing than driving. Transport and any taxes also factor in, of course.

Some excellent advice here, thank you. I've done a lot of reading, and already have the inspection checklist printed out which was referenced by another poster (thanks!).

I genuinely appreciate any offers or leads I receive, and will continue to respond to them sincerely, and keep an eye on this thread for your valuable wisdom!

As a general footnote, I've driven a 360 and a 550 several times, but I still like the 348 for its classic styling and feel. My background is in classic american muscle, but I'm ready for a change of pace.

18. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Well then I say your price range is very reasonable for the car you are seeking. In the Chicago forum someone mentioned a 1995 Black / black spider with 40k miles and recent service being offered for $50k. Seems like a bargain if the car is in good condition. I had the 348 out last night and it was fun (as always). It is funny how a 15-20 year old car can make all the new cars in a parking lot seem mundane. If I run across any good deals I'll let you know!
    BT

19. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

Thanks,
    I see you tinted the windows...
    I am also considering it

20. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Like 348 Spiderman says....you gotta love it
    Drive it like ya stole it!

21. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Thanks brother :)
    The tint is really really dark,highly illegal here. Looks great IMO. But shoosh........... :eek:

22. jet2911

jet2911 Karting

May 4, 2005
    Richmond, Virginia
    #22 jet2911, Apr 27, 2006
  23. Ciao Bello 348

Ciao Bello 348 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2005
    The Garden State, US
    Full Name:
    John C
    I have a 1995 348 Spider. You can see pictures of it on the New York Tri State area of Ferrarichat or I can email you some. Super clean. Red, Tan gut, little over 21,000k miles. Maintainence to date. No accident history.

24. 92_348ts

92_348ts Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2002
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Chris