How's Roland Thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How's Roland Thread

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by dysko, Mar 14, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bob348

bob348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Liege, Belgium
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey
    Don't worry for Roland he found a really pretty house, where he will have lot of good time.

2. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I heard the F40 is sold too, anyone know?

3. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    Yes, Aaron bought it and you will continue to see it at track events around the country. Aaron is a great friend to Roland and I know he will treat the car with the respect it deserves.

While I am sure Roland hates to see the F40 go away, I feel confident he is glad to see it with Aaron.

4. bob348

bob348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Liege, Belgium
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey
    Yes Roland sold his LM.
    But he will be present at some track event like instructor. But from de side of the track...
    Don't worry for him he's going well, he just want to take a rest now!

5. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm
    #30 awhite, May 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Scuderia-San-Antonio

Feb 27, 2005
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Like a changing of the guards... first CP sells his 40 to me, now Roland passes his down to you.

Hopefully the two of you will be able to make it down to Texas and attend some of our events. Are you planning on attending the French Quarter Classic this year?

7. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm
    Wes,

That would be awesome!!

I am trying to know if we met before ? are you located in Texas??

-a

8. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    BTW, I saw the F40 in Las Vegas and it's never looked better. Near perfect detailing and everything that could be polished was. Makes you think it's in good hands.

9. -AC

-AC Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 4, 2004
    Colorado

hahaha..... I am sure Roland did not let Aaron leave to ranch with the LM until he was instructed and then polished that car.

10. Scuderia-San-Antonio

Feb 27, 2005
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I am in San Antonio, we may have met before..I don't really know. I was at the 2004 Ferrari French Quarter in my silver 360 challenge (with the Bear and Bull / Stock Market theme).

Were you there? If so, what car were you in. For some reason that always helps me remember.

11. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Aaron,

Are you planning on showing up at any of the auto shows in Denver in June (Automezzi and/or exotic show 06/04)?

-F

12. Matt550

Matt550 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2003
    Littleton Colorado
    Full Name:
    Matt M.
    Aaron, Nice looking rig, graphics look awesome!!!!!

13. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Agreed!

14. Caruso360

Caruso360 Karting

May 1, 2003
    Now that it is apparent of the changing of the guard, can all of us who have endured this Roland thread truely know whether or not this F40 is an LM or not. To LM or not to LM?, that is the question.

15. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Here is what Roland explained in a thread about a year ago...get with it!

Thanks for the kind words and if the car is called an LM it's because we worked from the LM blue prints(Michelotto). I can't take credit for the LM parts on the car..I bought a bunch of parts from several team who were racing the LM. For the other, well, new one were made from pics etc..Remenber that all LM started from stock F40.
    I would agree with you about many details who are more from my experience in cars. Many parts are from P.cars, pumps,relays,gauges, pedals from Indy, Garett turbo etc...That doesn't give me the right the call that a "Linder"...We still have more LM parts than any other but like any "builder" we have our own idea what works or not and that's the road I took. Many parts are better today than they were in 1990 so the intercoolers, radiators are US made and function better that the original. That still doesn't make me a builder. I was looking to get a reliable/drivable car and I got without any repair so far !!!Not many F40 drivers have done what that car has done for me.
    Over the racing years behind me, I had plenty modified P cars(and did Le Mans with them) but they are still P cars.That's what every team does!
    I always liked your" LinderModificata" name, it's plenty cool.
    Thanks Chris, see you soon
    Roland
    F40LM

16. -AC

-AC Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 4, 2004
    Colorado

Depends on one's point of view. To some it is and to others it is not. It has already been argued to death no reason to continue that debate here.

17. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm
    I would state its a LMe (this is what Forza called it) so be it..

and of course Linder Modification' works well...

and at the end of the day... F40 works for me!!!

I will still drive it either way!

-a

18. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Let's put it this way, it is like a LeMans car prepared by a private team/builder following another builder but with their own unique mods. It is a heavily modded F40. Awesome car, enjoy it!

19. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm

hahaha

I think you saw that I was :)

-a

20. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    It is sad to hear about Roland's problems. I remember following him in the F40 on the drive to the track during the FFQC a couple of years ago. You had to be careful not to get sucked into the downdraft! I never rode with him at the track, but he was always a hoot to talk to.

I also hope that the noise here on F-Chat didn't contribute to his misery. I don't know why certain members (one of whom is no longer here) feel the need to viciously attack anyone that they feel is a threat when they don't even know the person.

At any rate, if you see this Roland, all the best and always remember to keep the rubber side down.

Dale

21. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Is Roland still in Colorado? I would miss him if he's not.

Dave

22. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Dude, do your own research and show some respect!

Roland's restoration was published in Forza, as was C. Parr's lengthy search for a braking system that matched the car's performance....

Get well soon, Roland, nice rig Aaron......

Contact me Scuderia of S.A. and we'll convoy to N.O this year! Art Car don't get no Transport Rig.....LOL!

S. of S.A, don't miss the Jimmie Vaughan show, comin' up at Flores Country Store! ;)

23. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Post Roland with the FFQC red girl's that'll cheer him up!

They are on the other site...

24. bobleb

bobleb Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Bob Lebenson
    I thought that the first two sections of Keith Martin's column in the latest edition of Sports Car Market were germaine to the criticism by some of Roland's (now Aaron's) car, as well as to some others discussions I've seen on FChat by the ultra-purists. I am posting both a link to the web site, and also a copy of the text below (in case people who aren't subscribed have trouble with the link).

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/articles/shifting-gears.php

"Going to the Mat with a Paddle

"That’s a good piece, you should buy it.”

The auction catalog description read, “Persian Heriz carpet, geometric central medallion and stylized floral decoration on madder red ground with ivory spandrels, 9' 6" x 11' 9". Estimate: $700–$900.”

Offered by local auction house O’Gallerie, the rug met my three criteria: It was the right orange-red color; the size was right for my living room; and the estimate was within my budget.

That the other, seemingly more sophisticated rug aficionados in the room also blessed my choice was a plus, but not a deciding factor. I still don’t know what the terms Heriz, madder red, and ivory spandrels mean, but they sound important. The auction company also guaranteed that, “All the rugs offered here are hand-knotted,” conjuring up visions of an army of child-laborers tying threads under a burning sun somewhere in the Middle East. Nonetheless, when the rug crossed the block, my paddle went up.

For $610 including commission, the rug was mine. Was it a good buy? It worked for my budget. Was it a good piece? I don’t know; I could afford it and I liked it. Will it hold its value? I don’t care. It’s doing its job–covering up the hardwood floor in my living room and adding some color to the house.

IT’S MY FAVORITE COLOR

Which brings us to collector cars and mega auctions, like Barrett-Jackson and Silver Hot August Nights. For the new collectors who are drawn to these events, their criteria aren’t much different than the ones I used to buy a rug.

“I’ve always liked 1966 Chevelle convertibles, blue is my favorite color, and I can pay up to $60,000 for a nice one.” In these circumstances, “nice” and “favorite color” trump “numbers-matching” and “factory-correct.” These enthusiasts are looking for something to put into their garage that makes them feel good and that they can afford. Of course, “feel good” and “afford” can stretch from a lowly Rambler Marlin to a $4.3m GM Futurliner bus. It’s all a matter of scale.

Further, that O’Gallerie guaranteed the hand-tied knots was the equivalent of an auction company guaranteeing that the merchandise they are offering is as-represented; it creates a sense of comfort and assurance among the bidders.

For those of us afflicted with inside-baseball syndrome, we can get all atwitter about incorrect ring-and-pinion sets, non-original engine blocks, and radiators with the wrong core pattern. We get a goofy sense of satisfaction out of parading our knowledge like gossips at a train-spotting convention.

But for most of the world, and especially those who enjoy cars as a hobby rather than an obsession, “Can I afford it?” and “I’ve always liked those” are enough to make a very satisfying buying decision. So the next time you see a price at auction that seems out of this world, whether for ’Cudas, rugs, or Steuben glass, keep in mind that the buyer probably isn’t using a price guide to control his paddle. He’s using his own set of parameters, and they only have to make sense to him."

25. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    As an aside Benny still has many F 40/LM/GTE parts and I think he wants to sell them. I think he's in europe but I'll be seeing him at the Targa Florio and will ask him. Many of the parts on Rolands car came from Benny.

Let me know if this interests anyone.