Intermittent starting problem -- Mondial QV | FerrariChat

Intermittent starting problem -- Mondial QV

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by FasterIsBetter, Sep 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I've been having an intermittent starting problem with my '84 Mondial QV. Most times I go to start the car it turns over just fine. Every now and then, I put the key in and turn it to kick the starter over and nothing happens. All the lights come on, it otherwise seems normal, but no clicking or whining or anything.

Any ideas where to start troubleshooting this? Starter solenoid? Is there a starter relay that could be bad? Bad ground? Doesn't seem like the starter itself, as it does turn well once it actually decides to start. Seems to be a problem when the engine is hot rather than when it is cold.

Thanks,
    Steve W.

2. Fiat Dino 206

Fiat Dino 206 Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    David
    The following post may have information that may apply to your problem ....

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26360&highlight=starter+problem

Best wishes

3. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    David,

Much appreciated. I see I have some rooting around to do under there. I was suspecting corrosion on some of the connectors, as I've been having that problem with other things electrical on the car. The car sat around a lot for the last couple of years prior to me buying it. The battery switch up front is in bad shape, and I was seriously considering by-passing it entirely, maybe putting on an external battery cut-off. Think I'll start with all the electrical connections, terminals, etc., front to rear and see if that cures things, before attacking the solenoid and starter.

Thanks again,
    Steve

4. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    This is one of my favorites, From the link you will see a number of suggestions all of which are correct IMO. I was advised when I originally had the same problem as you to put a relay into the system to activate the soleniod, making sure it had good voltage, I did this and it cured my problem. As you can see from the thread it came back. I checked and cleaned all the connections as suggested but gave up getting the starter out as it is well hidden away. However the culprit was the relay I had put on, somehow water had got in and it bwas corroded, changed relay and the problem disappeared. Hope this helps or at least gives you another angle.

5. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Philip,

Can you send me information about how/where you installed the relay, type of relay used, etc? Any pics would be appreciated. Okay to send off-list, unless you want to post it for the group.

Thanks,
    Steve

6. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Cleaned up the battery terminals last night and removed the battery switch (it was a POS) and old ground strap (it was garbage). Ran the negative cable direct to the frame rail with a switch installed on the post of the battery. Cleaned up all the connections, posts, etc. What a difference! The car immediately turned over stronger and started right up. I can see that I'm going to have to do a lot of cleaning of various electrical connections throughout the car.

In the meantime, disconnecting the battery activated an alarm system that the PO had installed. Now I have to figure out how to either disable it or have it removed. <sigh> More projects for a rainy day.

7. surfdoc37

surfdoc37 Karting

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Mark M.

Phil, can you post or send offline the details of your starter relay fix? Can't locate it in the archives and my cars difficulty is similar. Thanks.

8. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Can i add a relay on my 84 GTS even though mine is still good just in case mine goes bad in the future? And what type of relay do i need?

9. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    How old is the battery?, often a battery has enough voltage to turn on the lights but not enough to engage the starter. If over 3 years old , pull it out and have it tested under load.