New Maserati Coupe | FerrariChat

New Maserati Coupe

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by ryalex, Feb 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Well, here's my interpretation of where Maserati should go with the next version of the coupe. I took the original pic below and:

- Added the raised tail (a typically Ferrari shape, but it's what makes the 288, and even the 348/355 and 550 tail -- I think the Maser rear needs definition)
    - Raised the rear fender with more curve
    - Reshaped the rear window
    - Door handle moved up near the window
    - Window tint
    - Lowered the car
    - Lowered front bumper, extended air splitter
    - Enlarged grille

Comments/feedback are welcome!

2. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Very well done! Maybe more of a side skirt would be helpful, since you lowered the car a bit and increased the front bumper. Maybe a bit more uniform all around if you added a bit more to the side skirts.

Just my .02 pesos :)

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    longer sleeker headlights?

4. Pat

Pat Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Genova, Italy
    Full Name:
    Emanuele
  5. CraigW

CraigW Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2002
    London
    Full Name:
    Craig Williams
    I like everything except the back, good effort!

6. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Thank you for your compliments! Lafun - good point; my main concern with the front is how it looks a)too Jag XK8-ish and b) is too high off the ground (practical yes, cool no). I wanted the lines to really follow from a low front lip to the skirts.

Pat - I like the MCS' aggressive nose with the strakes. The rear area is harder to discern in the flat black and the smaller web pics I've seen of it. Overall though, I love the "LeMans-esque" shape and proportions of supercars like that - Enzo, Saleen S7, CLK-GTR, Dauer, etc.

They say they're only going to build 30 to get the FIA approval, which is too bad... since the Enzos are all ordered up they should have gone ahead and at least trolled the market to see if they could get any more orders for the MCS at say, $500k apiece. Maybe they could sweep up some of the CGT and SLR's marketshare.

7. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Ryan

500K is nothing! When you are a big time lawyer I am sure you will have a few enzo's and MCS stradale in your garage..hehe :D :D :D :eek:

8. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

you improved on the maser! well done. i had owned some of the maser gt's and always thought they were sleek and sexy machines (ghibli, bora, and merak). i wish they would spend a bit more time making the coupe sleeker and more definitive...exotic. they missed...however, you have gotten closer to the mark!

pcb

9. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Thanks Pete. I also thought that the new Coupe/Spyder was *almost* there as far as the look, but it was a little behind (no pun intended). If there were more of a guaranteed aftermarket, I would seriously design and draft up some new bumpers and panels, get a few samples and try and license them to a manufacturer... Some days I have dreams of being a tuner/designer ala Koenig, TechArt et al, but then it hits me that I'm not mechanically inclined.

Overall, I think what they need to do is give the Maser the same exterior treatment that the 360CS got - I love the stock 360, but the subtle, sharp enhancements to the bumpers and skirts on the CS are super hot. What will be interesting to see is if they stick with Guigaro for the next generation.

Ryan - I enjoy hanging out here and be able to chat with other young guys who say "$500k is nothing!" LOL :D. But unfortunately the only "MCS" we're going to be able to afford for a while is made by BMW!

10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Mikey likes it! Great job, maybe you should take a term off and head to Italy, eh?

11. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

I know all about that, as I own a cheap MCS 2003 model that certainly doesn't cost 500K lol.

BTW I think you do have some design talent. Ever thought about going into the auto field seriously?

When I was a kid I always wanted to be an automotive engineer, but never really worked out.
    So now I hope maybe to be an in house counsel to one of the auto companies, maybe the closest I come to achieving my dream.

10 more years man, and you will be blowing 500K like Jenna Jameson blows other things ;)

12. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    Nice job. I wouldn't have thought to mess with the rear wheel arch, but it looks fabulous!

13. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    ryalex, I think you should give BMW a call, Bangle has got to go. He is killing BMW with his designs.

14. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Well, kind of. I spent the first 1.5yrs of college as an art major, grades were okay but nothing to brag about. I took some time off school, and became friends with an exec producer at a large video game company. She started her career as an artist but had to segway into management, which she said was difficult. Her main lesson to me was to study biz/mgmt instead of art, because as an artist you can't hire a boss, but as the boss/owner of a design firm you can go and hire plenty of artists. They called the shots and make the bigger bucks. So I took that to heart and changed majors when I got back to school.

I still worked as a designer for another 2 years for the student gov't and then as the only student designer on the school's pro design team that did all their promo materials, forms, campus stuff. I still love design and like to peruse Print magazine and design and typography annuals, but I'm down another path now.

Scott61 - have to agree with you there. I think that if you looked up "car" in the dictionary you should see either the M3 or M5. I still haven't accepted the new ones yet.

15. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    #15 noahlh, Feb 26, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    looks like you were spot on with the larger grill. See my other posting in the other thread...

17. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    huh - I didn't notice that when I was doing it, but since you mention it I love the new Astons. I think that the DB9 will be an easy pick over the regular 911 and Maser when it comes out.

18. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Ryan I will have to disagree with you on this one. I love the Db9's and all Aston's in general but the 911 crowd is a pretty die hard and loyal bunch. Sure for the average person wanting a new sports car they might pick the aston over 911, but the typical 911 buyer will not in my opinion.

Some of the 911 guys prefer their cars over Ferraris! :eek: :eek:

19. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Push away. AM styling is wonderful these days. Masteri could use some of the "excitement" that is invoked by looking at the AMV8.

20. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    AMV8 is just sex on wheels...if they give it a better engine than the intro 4.3 380 HP V8....wow.